Poaching?????

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by jumpinjak007, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Does anybody else get extremely annoyed by the videos on youtube featuring catfish being poached???? And also the amount of ignorant people commenting on the video, as if the person that shot the video is some kind of hero that they aspire to be???? There is a great deal of informative videos that do show the correct way harvest catfish, but it just kind of ticks me off that we have to share the water with these fools. Not so, much here in Socal, but where I come from... in Oklahoma, there are alot of ignorant people including family members that truly dont know any better than to keep everything that they catch. I will admit that I have never caught a catfish over 10 pounds(mostly because I've never targeted them), but I also know better than to keep fish over 10 pounds because they are so important to the ecology of the lake; the food chain if you will. I find it very disturbing to see others "jugging and using trot lines" poaching catfish when they clearly have the means to survive otherwise. ie driving a brand new pontoon boat. I guess I'm just ranting, but let me know what you think and your experiences.

Mike

2. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    It kinda piss me off too why put out trout lines and then come back in the morning that's not fishing, then they have videos on shooting them with a bow not that really get me I know in differnt citys u can but it's wrong

3. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Running a trot line is not poaching! It is a respected way to fish in some parts of the country and is not as easy as it would look. Besides trot lining is not trout lining? Is it? LDJ:time-out:

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I dont see it as poaching never will !!!!!!!!!!!

how ever ya want to spend time on the water catching fish is a blast trottlining ,, noodeling , limblines ,jugs ect ect its all fun ..

in the times we are in I feel more important things to get stressed out about then some one keeping a fish ..

If the person is within the creel limmit more power to them ..

If a body of water is low on catfish population well the conservation dept needs to stock them !!!!

they stock other species of fish so why not catfish ?????

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

For one...welcome to the site....For two...Bro I had and still have some of the "opinions"/arguements that you have when I first joined this site, and let me tell you that after brawling with "the bad guys" many who I now concider FRIENDS, I just gave that battle up. Ones view on the whole thing is just their view and nothing more on here. Im sure I have had words with catfishscotty in the past and im still pulling my foot out of my mouth for it! I AM A CPR FISHERMAN... BUT Scotty has still been pulling out monsters every year in numbers with no problems and no decrease. What I am getting at bro is that this is a useless arguement and no side will ever win AND just causes problems on here, for example I myself have had a few infractions on this site trying to SHOVE my opinions on people that are twice the fisherman I am and have been keeping monster fish longer than I have been alive!! In a nutshell because my beer is getting warm.......... Opinions will not change opinions on here... Just do what you want to do and ignore what they do, most of the guys keeping big fish on here have been doing it their whole lives and are not changing a thing no matter what is said. Like I said before most of the "bad guys" I once concidered them to be are now my friends and I respect whatever it is they choose to do.........

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Poaching - To take fish or game illegally.. If it's legal, it's not poaching. Most states allow trotlines, a few allow hand fishing and bow fishing, one or two even allow electroshocking.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to USCA, from So. Illinois.

8. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    If that city or county let u do it it's all good but out here in cali some people try to keep everything i throw back them even if they are 2bls somestime and me and family go to Aquaduct i always throw stripper back but i see alot of people keeping them and i tell them put them back trying to do my part.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't know why you feel it is 'YOUR' job to tell other folks what to do when they are pursuing a sport LEGALLY.

You fish your way and let other folks fish their way. Anything other than minding your own business will just cause conflict and guess what???? You ain't gonna change most folks opinions on their fishing methods. If they are fishing legally they have that RIGHT to do it.

Welcome to the BOC.

10. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    If they are doing it right ya but if am fishing and throwing them back like strippers and i see guys catch small ones and leaving them on the hook and smacking them on top of the water and killing them am going to say something.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If they are keeping those fish it's still not your business. If they are just killing them and leaving them lay, probably still not your business but Yeah, I'd say something in that case.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    We discussed this for almost a decade on here about this fact. People are strong on both sides. I for one believe in people keeping within their limits if they pay the price of admission including license. If they are keeping over the limit or fish that are not legal we can categorize that as officially poaching. But for someone to tell someone they should not keep whats within their rights can be looked upon as stepping over boundaries. Its great to educate someone on the importance of releasing fish for preserving fish in the future and should be done. But there is a right and a wrong way to do it. We for the most part fish for sport, but not everybody fish for sport - some fish for food. Just like some hunt for food. Some enjoy fishing for food and eating them too. Lots of people do not have the riches or luxury to fish for fun. When they fish, they fish for it to count. Here in this state their are legimate issues and laws to preserve a certain fish ( Ie Black Sea bass, or rock fish closures during a few months of the year, or salmon closures) just to name a few. Any other issue that would be looked upon as someone keeping a catch is mute to some and may start a scuffle as I seen in the past especially in certain areas or dealing with certain people or a crowd that you do not want to get involved with and it not worth getting involved with such as getting charges pressed, arrested, or fights or whatever.

We have to be careful not to turn this into a debate such as pro lifers or peta type of folks because some of us are starting to look like card carrying peta members.

I believe in selective harvest - keep what you will eat; however I do release all my big blues due to them not reproducing in these waters here and made messages and vids regarding that fact. I may keep a flathead or two a year over 30 pounds - however catfish are not my priorities of fish to keep. There are better tasting fish out there that I prefer such as crappie or bluegill and plenty of saltwater fish. I am not a big channel eater at all the farm raised ones are best for eating.

To each is own on this one. I have family members and a grandma at one time that 5 fingers would go across my face seeing me pay money to release catches - but that is the way she was raised - not rich, and not fishing to toss anything back when the frig needs to be filled to feed the family.And some of us have big families in the household to feed at that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    IF it's legal and licensed,, it's not poaching..

If it bugs you to see harvesting, it's still not poaching.

If it still bugs you,, all you can really do is share how you feel about it, in an educational way,, either side, because,, as has been said already, you most likely ain't gonna change someone's mind..
    someone may modify their thoughts over a period of time on their own..:cowboy:

14. monstercatcher

State:
    california
    That's why we have the B O C always trying to learn new things heheh.lol that's true u can't just walk up on anyone and tell them that but people will be people.

15. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas

Let me digress from the debate at hand and simply make an observation.

Is it not refreshing to view these posts, read peoples opinions, look at the debate, and see that the camaraderie of fishing can function to produce friendly disagreements?

It's pretty cool to have a place where you're a brother or sister angler and respected as such - regardless of your fishing preference.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    jumpinjak007

Welcome to the BOC.... from California....

As you are new to posting... you have made a post in the California "local" area.... and you probably should have done it in the Okahoma state or somewhere else like Hi intensity...

Good to hear your thoughts..... We do not have poachers in California ....Ha Ha

Bayrunner Ray.....at the river

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I figure if someone follows the law catching fish and don't take more than allowed its not poaching. Trotlining or jugging or limblining is not allowed where I catfish, and only one line with one hook is allowed. Except for some species, like crappie or trout. Then its a maximum of 3 hooks. When using flys.

I figure the DFG can determine what methods will allow folks to catch fish without overfishing. They also set daily and possession limits. They can best determine whether or not its detrimental to the fish populations.

Someone out fishing in a nice boat and keeping everything because they want to feed their family ain't no big deal, it cost money to operate and maintain that thing, so they need to maximise their use. They coulda just lost a job and are out fishing to feed the family as best they can. If they sold the boat they would have food money, but may not be able to catch as many fish.

I fish for my enjoyment, and I get upset at people waterskiing and playing on the water too, but they are just enjoying the same thing in a different way. People not retrieving their gear is probably a bigger hazard than catching a lot of fish.

18. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well said!!
    It's important for some of the newcomers to this sport who only fish for fun to understand a little history. Catfishing, especially in the South is a strongly ingrained family tradition for many fishermen that goes back several generations. For those earlier generations fishing was a means for putting food on the table and catfish in particluar was strickly a food fish and a very popular dish. Now days most of us have the luxury of extra disposable income, a little free time, and all the modern conveniences so we don't have to fish for food. But a lot of old fishermen like myself are stuck in the tradition, love catfishing, love the taste of catfish, and wouldn't give any of it up for the world. It's all a part of our souls. At the same time most of us recognize the need for conservation and do not act irresponsibly. At one time or another I have catfished just about every way possible. I can tell you it's all fishing and it's all fun. I eat a lot of catfish. But I have also released more pounds of fish than most on here will ever catch. So like the man said, the old timers are not going to change their minds, but if ithe newcomers will take the time to understand catfishing history, they may change theirs.

19. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Agree. Well said, Waterbug. I just read a CDFG statement on so-called 'subsistence' wildlife violators.
    "Question: If I am in need of food for myself and family, is it a crime to catch fish for subsistence from the ocean without a license? I understand that lakes in inland waters are stocked, policed and maintained and that these services have to be paid for via taxes, license and fines. That’s understandable, but what about fishing from the ocean? Should it not be a God-given right to fish the oceans and seas of this planet without permission from the powers that be? Please shed some light on this issue for me if you can. (Doug P.)

Answer: In California you can legally fish without a fishing license from public ocean piers and from the most seaward jetty of the harbor. Finfish may be caught by hook and line and crabs and lobsters by hoop nets from public piers and jetties, depending upon the area of the state where you are fishing. All regulations must still be followed, but you can fish without a fishing license in these locations only. There are also two designated free fishing days per year when people may fish in ocean and inland waters without a license.

Except for the opportunities mentioned above, subsistence fishing or any type of recreational fishing without a fishing license in ocean or freshwater is not allowed. California’s living marine resources are a public trust, which means they belong to all of the people of the state. However, it is necessary to manage these resources in such a way that they will be sustainable, both from an ecological point of view and in allowing recreational anglers to pursue them for enjoyment and to harvest them for food.

The California Legislature has given the Fish and Game Commission the authority to regulate all of our recreational fisheries, and the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is the entity that manages these fisheries and enforces their regulations. Some regulations are very strict for species which have previously been overfished and are now recovering. Your right to fish is a privilege which must be considered in the context of a state with 37 million people.

Here’s an option for you if you can’t buy a license but want to catch lots of ocean fish for your family. Focus on the many species listed under section 27.60(b) on page 37 of the Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations booklet.

These species have abundant stocks and no bag limits, and a number of them are commonly taken from public piers."

I happen to know of one California county where hundreds of wildlife violation citations are simply ignored by the courts for political reasons. I find this outrageous.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  20. jumpinjak007

jumpinjak007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    DAMN!!
    I didnt mean to rub anybody the wrong way. I thought it would be an interesting debate, but I guess I was wrong. I would like to clarify my thoughts a bit if I may, as I had a few drinks last night before I posted my initial comments. Dont ask me why I used the word "poachin", because that really doesnt fit what I was "trying" to say, and Im totally cool with juglines and trotlines if they are used properly. After reading everyones thoughts on the matter, I can tell you that I agree with nearly everything that you said. In response to the whole fish for food thing, I am in complete agreement, but those people that have to fish for food dont usually make a video and put it on youtube. Thats really where this all started. Youtube. I dont know if any of you have spent any time on that site checking out fishing tips and things of that nature, but there is tons of videos on there. Ive picked up quite a bit of information on there, things I might not ever have figured out on my own. Anyway, I guess I would just rather see more people practice CPR on the trophy catfish. The way I see it, if you really need to fish for food and your a good enough fisherman to land a trophy catfish, then you ought to be good enough to catch a whole mess of smaller fish.