Poaching, where is the punishment?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Jan 27, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Max 250 dollar fine, max 30 days in jail??? This is no deterent...And they had to build the case for several years, wonder how many trophy cats were lost in those years? geez

COLUMBUS, OH - Forty-five individuals in 13 counties were cited on Saturday for the illegal taking and selling of game fish, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. State wildlife investigators may file additional charges.

“The illegal taking and selling of game fish exploits a public resource,” said Mike Budzik chief of ODNR's Division of Wildlife. “We cannot allow a public resource to be abused for personal gain.”

Wildlife officers charge the individuals involved were illegally removing game fish, most of which were catfish, from Ohio streams and illegally selling them to commercial, recreational fishing operations.

Ninety citations have been filed for violations including the purchase of game fish, selling of game fish, selling bait without a bait dealer license, aiding an offender, possession over the limit and illegal method of taking game fish. Investigators expect to file as many as 100 additional charges once the seized records are examined and follow-up interviews are conducted.

Wildlife officers have been building the case they dubbed "Operation Mudcat " for several years. Most of the charges are fourth degree misdemeanors and concern the illegal sale and purchase of game fish. Penalties for illegally taking and selling game fish include a $250 fine, 30 days in jail and loss of fishing privileges. The investigation covered 13 counties including Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Hamilton, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Montgomery, Pike, Preble, Scioto and Warren.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Those scumbags should have gotten a much bigger fine! Dirtballs like that ruin things for us law abidding fishermen!

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bet that was "up to $250 in fines, 30 days in jail. almost bet they got a slap on the wrist! i dont hunt but i know that poaching deer if a very serious offense! why not have the same rules cover fishing too?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I say a 2000 dollar restocking fee and loss of hunting and fishing license for 5 years is ample enough. Leave the jail space for crimes of a more serious nature, like crimes against humans.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I agree Mark, we shouldn't clutter up the jails with them but I think you let them off light.
    I would slap them with a lifetime ban and $10,000 fine, and have any fishing gear and boats they own confiscated but I'm thinking that if stealing catfish is what they do for a living they probably don't have a pot to p!$$ in.
    Maybe they should have to report to work every weekend for the next 5 years to do trash picking on the streets or digging ditches. That would keep them occupied because I'm pretty sure they are going to go right back to fish stealing
    As for "Wildlife officers have been building the case they dubbed "Operation Mudcat " for several years", that gets me a bit agitated. I know the D.N.R's are under funded and under manned but to put that kind of effort into a midemeanor charge is laughable. Stealing is stealing and should be punished severely. There is no deterrent in $250 and 30 days.
    Similarly the operations they sold to should be closed down and assets siezed with the money being used for restocking...W

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, I think they deserve Jail time, right next to anyone else who steals. Metalman has some good ideas.If I was a wildlife officer I would be pissed that all that effort results in so little punishment.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A guy here was picked up with to many bass and to small the COs took his boat motor, poles and went to his house and took a freezeer full of fish plus he was fined and put on probation. Now this was a sevear case. I heard they had been watching him. It is the same with hunting, they take the guns the pick up etc.
    Oh probation fees are around 300$ My wife is a probation officer.
    Bill

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In Calif. recently, abalonie pachers were fined 40,000 dollars and 5 years in prison! 15,000 and loss of fishing privilges for life is the norm. If it involves out of state transit the fines can be 250,000 and five years in prison as the case of the sturgeon egg poachers busted a while back! Poachers also loose there gear, cars, boats, ect. I wish they pass out some fines like that for littering too!A 250 dollar fine can make poaching worth it to some people! I think they ought to cane um!

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i'm not sure taking away their license would do much good .. they obviously didn't care what they were doing i'm sure they won't mind doing it without a license

the only deterent is a very sizable monetary penalty and jailtime extending several years .. plus seizure of all boats, motors, fishing equipment, etc

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like my fishing as much as the next man but I do believe people that commit crimes of this type are a helluva lot more rehabilitatable then a drug addict would be.
    I dont think it warrants a lifetime forfeiture of a license.
    There are people on this very site that werent the best stewards of the sport of fishing much less catfishing that have done a complete 180 without any type penalty.

5 years is a helluva long time to fish and hunt without a license and not get caught.
    Like I say, be made to replace what you sold illegally, and lose your privileges.
    Jails are there to protect the citizens. I dont think someone selling fish illegally to a pay pond is detrimental to my safety. I'd rather that be a nice hard bed for a real low life scum and not a fisherman that hasn't been raised right.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree, i really dont think jail time should be imposed but rather community service, STIFF fines, boat/equipment forfeiture, and loss of priviledges for 5 years. the time they would spend in jail would be paid for by us taxpayers! sad thing is the crimes against humans do not get any punishment!

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats very true. Many penalties aren't stiff enough.
    It would be real hard to take a man's hunting and fishing license for a lifetime and throw him in jail with a fine when you can be a first time DUI offender and lose your license for one year if that, get a driving privileged license, pay a mediocre fine and never sit in a jail cell from the time of arrest to beyond a conviction.
    And the DUI offender endangered public safety.

13. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I met a man at work who lives near a local lake that has very good cattin'. As I like to rod' n reel, I asked him for ideas to catch large cats on the lake. He didn't rod fish, but he and a couple of buddies run trautlines all summer and share the checking/harvesting. According to him they catch so many 20's that they don't even pay special attention, but catch a fair number of 40 to 50 lb flatheads when running live bait in the spring. When I asked if they kept them, he said "of course"! He said that they had big catfish feeds and even had one city wide free catfish dinner ( small town). He was so convinced that there was an endless supply of cats that I could see my opinion would not change his attitude. I just could not understand killing every fish caught, especially large flats. He said that it was common to cook up 600 or more lbs of cats at their feeds. What was really ironic, was that he ended our conversation by saying "We hope to catch a 100 lber some day"! I could only say, "Well, release those 30 and 40 lbers!!!!!!!!!! Sad situation.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    like i said earlier...the IQ of a 5 year old!

15. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Besides loss of vehicle, boat, equipment and license I would like to see a 1 or 2 year electronic tracking monitor on these folks.:mad:

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    When I lived in Colorado, the penalty for poaching including the confiscation of all equipment related to the poaching, to include weapons & vehicles, in addition to (pretty substantial) fines and jail time, and loss of hunting/fishing privileges.

17. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    here in indiana the conservation officers take you away and take your gear. the public can go to an auction held by the state involving confiscated stuff, and i guess theres guns cars boat rods and reels, you name it.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I wish they would come up with some creative punishment. Make them pick up trash at the boat ramps for a few weeks, and make em do it on busy holidays. Maybe with a t-shirt or billboard saying why they have to do it.

That and take their stuff and not let them buy it back.

19. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I say they put on one of those dog shock collars and any time they get near water zap electro shock

20. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thats pretty good until the person passes out and falls in the river or lake and kills all the fish