Poaching Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DeerHunter01, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well as long as I was a State Conservation Office this stuff happen alot more then people realize.

I thought I would post this deer for all to see, it was poached in the State of Ohio.

The problem is most hunters see a buck like this a few weeks before season and they go into the woods in search of his trail or scrapes and rub's, making this the main reason they went there in the first place. Now there hunting every day and they never see that buck again, and wonder what happens to it.

Most poached deer in our states are shot with a 22 cal rifle, or a Cross Bow and most likely from a vehicle. After they shoot the deer they keep moving along the highway until a later time that night, then they drop off a person to go get it, while the other person drives around until this guy gets it to the road side.

What always gets me, is why do you have to mess up my hunting grounds ? or maybe my son's first buck, when we can hunt legal.

Out of all the arrests I have made in poaching none , repeat none of them were poor, where they didn't have the money to buy food for there house.

One family that I had arrested had just moved into a house along a road that had no one near them. I got a call at 5PM in the evening that a man was hunting rabbits and came across 4 Gut piles from deer, and he said it looked like a blood bath .

When I got to the location I parked about a mile away, found where there was four gut piles and then I spotted another one on the side of the hill about 30 yards away. but there was no drag marks. so As I walked down this old coal bank road, I spotted small blood drops, so I followed them to the back of these new peoples home, got to looking and found 5 deer completely boned out hanging from a large deer rack beside the home, So I went and got a search warrant for the house and when I returned to the house I had two other officers with me. I knocked on the door, as a lady in her middle 50s opened the door, I said you know why I am here ? she looked at me and said Damn we just got them all cut up and packaged. and then invited us to have coffee while we packed all the deer meat out of there house. at the end of this the total fine came to close to $3000.00 . And as I was leaving the husband came over to me and said can I still deer hunt this year too ?

But anyway off track here, here is the picture of the buck that was just killed in Ohio.

Thanks
    D/H

Attached Files:

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    In your experience,how many poachers do you think are generally honest people that just couldn't help themselves?I've heard that excuse before,and I don't agree with it for a second!!(kinda like locking a car keeps an honest man honest)

My Grandfather taught me that Morals are what you do when you are alone or no one is watching.Guess some people never had a good role model.

With the price of trophy antlers people are paying,its only going to get worse.

At least in the example you provided,the people used the meat,and didn't just cut the antlers and waste the rest.Still don't make it right.

3. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    That happens around here quite a bit and it really p*sses me off. Last year, a old lady my parents know, was walking along the highway in from of her house picking up trash and found several large heavy trashbags and knew something wasnt right, so she called the sherriffs office. They came out, and someone had cut the deer in big chunks, put it in trashbags and dumped it. No, the hams and shoulders weren't gone, only thing missing was the antlers. That happened several more times. What are the people that do this thinking? Its sad to take an animal's life just for it's antlers. What a waste. As far as im concerened, if your caught once, you should have your hunting privlages taken away for AT LEAST 10 years. Ever caught again, you should go to jail and never be allowed to hunt again. People know better, and everyone that hunts knows it is wrong.

4. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Why only 10 years I think it should be no hunting for life, I love my racks as much as the next guy but if I cant get it legally then I just dont get it. Taking of deer out of season you had better be starving to death if you want my sympathy.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'd agree with most you guys. There should be a hefty penalty for poaching. Now taking away hunting privileges for life is harsh for a beginning hunter or youngin. Five or ten yrs maybe but not forever. I'd be lying to tell you i haven't ever done anything that would be considered poaching. That was all when i was young and naive. I do know better now and have a better understanding of our ecosystem and how humans impact it all due to education.

As bad as hunting is getting the tresspassing and poaching is gonna get a whole lot worse. Its just cheaper to get caught tresspassing than to pay to hunt here in arkansas anyways. I know of a fella last year that got caught not once but twice. Nine hundred dollars in fines are cheap compared to a fella hunting across the slough on the same property for twenty five hundred dollars.

You take pics or call wardens and i've found it only turns them on you. Walk up to your vehicle with tires cut or winshield busted. I've even found a two way radio in a stand that came from one of the hunters in a club a mile north of us. The radio worked great to know they watch when you come and go so they could pretty much hunt all over everywhere and hide when they need to hide. Its nice to know how they see you as a @$$hole and talk so nice when you happen to say hi.

I'd say increase to fines to where its not worth getting caught and the points!! If people are willing to pay good money the fine should be higher and the penalties tough. I will also say until they do it'll get worse every year.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    DH man that is just plain out wrong. I agree that there should be some very hefty fines and I think that there should also be some jail time as well. I also believe that they should lose all there firearms, truck, house (if that is where they stored and cut up the meat as it is then a crime seen) and anything thing else related to hunting every time they are caught. After while they would fine it a lot cheaper to hunt legally than pouch.

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    in 1973 i lived in a very rural area. there was a huge buck in the area. i started watching him in july and as season neared i felt i knew exactly where he would be on opening morning. three days before season my wife woke me at 2:00 a.m. and said someone was shining a light on the house. while i was getting dressed i heard a shot down the road. when i got outside a car spead off from just down the road. i walked down and found a large pool of blood and drag marks where they had drug him out of a marsh. i never saw my buck again. that season i killed a small spike. i think the poacher should be shot.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i cant stand poachers,and its not just poachers who illegaly take deer,it could be any kind of animal....we have alot of poachers around here,not so much the kind that spot light deer at night and empty a clip of .22 mag into a deer but we have alot of what i call cheater poachers.in IN we are only allowed 1 buck per year unless you happen to take one in what is called an "urban zone" then you are allowed 1 inside the urban zone and one in regular season.ive heard of folks taking bucks in non urban zone areas and tagging them in as urban deer so they can shoot another buck.or guys that take deer with a gun and tag em in as archery deer so they dont waist thier gun tag,just stupid stuff like that.
    the year before last i wa shutning one of the biggest deer i have ever seen around here,i seen him sevral times while on stand and even more time crossing roads and standing in fields and what not,i even had a shot at him once but i didnt take it because i didnt like the angle he presented me.anyway one mornign while i was driving the the place i hunt i noticed a deer dead on the side of the road and could tell it was a buck but wasnt sure how big it was,i got curiouse so i stoped to check it out and as soon as i walked over to it my heart just sunk,it was "my" deer at first i thought maybe it was hit by a car or somthing but afte ri lifted his head up i could see he was shot several times in the head and neck area with small caliber rifle or handgun and even worse the deer had also been guted,i called it in and as i was sitting in my truck waiting for the CO to show up thier was a truck creaping down the road shinning a spot light in the ditches and at first i thought it was the CO but as soon as the guy driving the truck seen my truck he floored it and got out of thier,the CO showed up and i gave him a discription of the truck and also all my info he needed and went on my way.i never did hear anything else after that and i hope the guy was caught.all i can say is he is lucky i didnt catch him...sorry im so long winded i just cant stand poachers!

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Ok guy’s here’s one for the record book’s. I have been watching this deer now for about 3 months now. Got it down to with in a few minutes of when he comes to this feed fild I have and which way he come during the am and the pm. Will I could tell he was big but not sure how big until about an hour ago. Mr. Wells a local game warden here came by and ask me what the deer looked like that I have been watching for so long, so I told him that the rack was dark and tall it looked to be very wide also. The deer was very large for this area and light colored also that is what caught my eye about this deer from jump street. Well he showed me a pitcher of my deer 15 points eastern count. G2’s about 113 ¾ inches long. 21 inches inside spread. They stopped a guy coming of the road I live on this morning after some one reported hearing gun shots. They guy had the deer covered with tarps and some tools and such trying to hide the deer. They saw blood on the tail gate of the truck and searched it and found the deer. This guy has been caught before pouching before and they got him again this year. I hope this time they hang him, They saw him pulling on the road from the felids behind my house. This pisses me off to no end. I ask Mr. Wells if I could shoot this peace of trash but he said I would go to jail then, but I believe it would be worth it. I will have to testify because they busted him coming trough my back side yard(that is the only way into that field now and he said I told him he could go back there, WRONG!!!! It is black power season here but he had a Henry 444 in his truck and no black power. That SOB should get hung if you ask me my entry for the big buck contest was taken by a thief.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think poaching should be in two parts, if someone is starving and cant afford food, or if they are stranded then who cares. But if someone is just shooting them for the antlers then prosecute them. My dad told me that when he was in the service in alaska, a man was stranded in his cabin way out in the boonies, he couldnt get out because the weather got bad too quick. He had no food so he shot a moose and kept it outside in the snow. When spring came they asked him how he survived all winter, he said he shot a moose and ate it all winter long and they fined him and put him in jail. To me that is total BS, I guess they would rather have a human die instead of a moose. That is way overboard.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Jay, we are not in Alaska man well ok 99.99% of us are not. There are things called jobs and supermarkets. A good box of shells cost 10$ go by a happy meal if your hungery. I don't care if you are hungery I leave your lunch alone you leave mine alone. $3k total for 5 deer, would be better off having it 3 grand per deer.

12. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    ya poaching sucks and i don't. but what about the morons that go out and gut shoot every thing that comes by. then is eather is to lazey to track or just to dumb to reilize that no shot is much better than a bad shot . i am tired of finding animals that were wasted because some nimrod got a bow for christmas . there is more to being an hunter than pulling a triger or relesing an arrow

13. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    First off poaching for horns is bull they fall of the deers head. Hello? In these parts the sheriff is the most active poacher around.
    Right, I got my eye on this big buck, I got him patterned. SO DOES FIVE OTHER GUYS. Then you see the glass flash right behind the fence and you hear, what a !@!@% head. Mind you I am sitting on my front porch. Now when season opens and we all got guns and we are all of questionable character cause the other guy is calling MY deer HIS deer. Then the rigs are crawling up and down the fence line with guns and testerone hunting your field looking for THIER deer. Lock the gate and keep your powder dry. I will take the doe, thank you.

14. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    So does he get to hunt again? I sure hope not!

It seems to me that the 3,000 fine isn't nearly enough

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    He got to finish out the year with his hunting license, but starting the next year he ended up with 6 years suspension from hunting.

I really don't know if $3000.00 is enough, I might agree to it if they had to also serve 6 Months in county jail too. I think that would get the point across even better.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Its always good to hear about a poacher getting caught even if we dont like the penalties. I would like to see forfeiture of anything involved in poaching. Whether that be a rifle, atv, truck, or house. Maybe even putting their faces in the paper or making them wear signs on the side of the road saying Im a poacher. Sometimes humiliation can be worse than paying fines.

17. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    I Personally Don't Think Takin' Away There Huntin' Rights Is The Answer If They Got Enuff Gaul To Poach In The First Place A Huntin' License Isn't Gonna Make A Difference . They Should Have To Replace The Deer With A Another Of Equal Or Greater Quality,take Everything You Have In Your Possesion I.e. Gun ,truck, Etc. And To Top It Off A Healthy Prison Sentence With Fines To Boot......

18. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    i know personally people who do it and have never done it myself and never will but getting the law around here is no good so im stuck but the people who tresspass are the ones who really get me going when there is public land provided or they can just askto hunt somewhere

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i tried poaching a deer once...i think i will stick with eggs...the deer just made SUCH a mess :eek:

20. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    Hey Gator I Feel For Ya Man "that Sucks Out Loud " Hope Ya Can Hang Em'out To Dry For A Long Time...