Poachers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    how do you guys deal with poachers,i dont own my own land ,but i hunt several tracts where i am the only hunter who has permission.i have a preacher on one side of me who thinks god told him to hunt anywhere he wants, and i have a rich homeowner on the other side who thinks his sons should be able to ride their 4 wheelers anywhere anytime.it took me 1 year to get these clowns off my hunting land, and im not sure whether they are gone or just outsmarting me,do any of you know any tricks or ways to deal with poachers what do you do if you catch them red handed.my problem is i would rather handle things myself and if i ever catch one of these jackoffs hunting on my property that i have spent countless hours scouting and setting up stands i will lose my cool and do something stupid!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just saw your post. Can't yap just now. Will be back later after my insomnia gets me up.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    post the land. in my state you can register it with the nc wildlife also and then you can buy the poster signs with the nc wildlife stamp on it. i dont know what the fine is for getting caught but it does give the warden permission to check on things. a trespassing fine isnt a easy fine to pay in my state. you have to go to court. it will only get worse as land gets scarce.

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks john somehow i knew you would respond to this, looking foreward to your opinion.

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Trail cams work good on poachers and trepassers. I posted our property but putting up posted signs won't stop a determined poacher / trespasser. We also put homemade spike strips on each side of our gates so when the four wheeler junkies went around they got four flat tires. Catching em in the act, calling the law, and making them stay there until he arrives is hard to do. It is a never ending pain.

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its a shame that people tresspass and poach but it happens, I was on a hunting lease and we caught someone the law stated that the land owner would have to make the legal complaint, not the leasees. It was nice though that most of the ones in the club were law enforcement. I would post the land first, and get a telephone number of the local wildlife personnel. Good luck let us know how it goes.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm having as hard a time dealing with the change in country manners, as I am with city manners. Seems like folks are just rude everywhere. I take comfort in the fact that the DNR allows concealed carry with permit this year...finallly. Been breaking the law during muzzleloader season the last few years. LOL
    Be careful. You are not safe in the woods either. I miss the way we cared for each other in the ol days.
    I'll be watching this thread.
    Wishing ya'll a happy & safe hunt.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a few suggestions and questions like do you own a backhoe?:roll_eyes:

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with most of these suggestions... post the propery and then catch them on trail cam. Then i would ask the local warden to take care of it if they continue to trespass. I know most of us just want to give em a good ole fashion a$$ whoopin,me incleded, but in this day and age unfortunatly you'd probably end up in trouble and not them...

maybe post it with these signs....

Attached Files:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico we have operation game thief,Just call an 800# and turn em in ,you remain annonomousand can earn a reward if they are convicted.

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    Jeff heres what we have done to combat the problem.
    1 went court house sign a statment of proscution. If county or state leo catches a person who is not suppose to be there they will be held accountable.

2 Post everything.
    3 I caught a group of them riding 4 wheelers and told them that if they are caught, Its not going to be good, the judge can even take away their 4 wheeler.
    4 Most time its just kids needing a place to be or ride, I dont yell or fuss It will not work. Just get the word out.
    5 Since deer season opened We have seen about a 90% drop in riding.

I hope this helps

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am fortunate to live in a county with abundant wildlife resources and the environment for them to flourish. That makes for excellent hunting and a prime opportunity for unwelcome "visitors" to encroach on a site you own or lease. These guys come as road hunters, road trappers, trespassers and the money hunters- "jacklighters". Another is the weekend warrior kids with trail bikes and hot girlfriends, but very few of those. The worst are the snowmobilers. We have our subsistence folks, those who actually need, for whatever reason, to kill something to eat.

We moved to this 130 acre site in 1985, a broke down farm with 65 acres of cow pastured woods and soil types that wouldn't grow weeds well. They should never have taken it from the Indians. The entire neighborhood used it as a hunting camp. Our first walk through the woods as owners, we picked up a bag of spent shotgun shells. Told me two things. One we had a problem and two if that much ordinance had been used in that desecrated setting that the potential for wildlife was high. Three days after moving in my brother and I were cutting firewood when a rifle cracked and a 22 whined over our heads. This is the first one I threw off. A neighbor, not a youngster was squirrel hunting. My brother and I are not big men but we do have an attitude. When we approached this guy with axes in hand and the looks on our faces he knew his boots weren't high enough to keep out the manure he was standing in. I told him I wanted him out and that these acres were not being hunted anymore. "Well, we've always hunted here, and never thought anything about it" he said. I informed him that times and owners change, and this was the way it was going to be, in a manner that I knew would be transmitted through the neighborhood like smoke in the wind. (Round One)

I don't like authority, but I sucked up and 1. Went to the sheriff and asked him my options and put him on notice that I would call him if needed. He actually liked that. 2. I went to the newspaper and put a notice in that these acres were now off limits. Made a legal statement in a public forum. 3. I got to know my game warden. This was the hardest part but the best. I have had run in's with these guys, and if they are good your rear end is grass if you do something illegal. I have been known to do that. This guy was the toughest but fairest man I have ever known. He would arrest his mother if she was in the wrong. I liked him and he liked me. My place actually became a part of his patrol run. I have had him pull in at 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning with his lights off looking for Jacklighters. 4. For what good it was worth, I posted the place. Nothing fancy or threatening, just no trespassing or hunting. 5. This is the hardest for many of you if you are not attached to your hunting site. I patrolled the place during prime seasons with a shoulder holstered 38, unloaded. My temper would have gotten me in real trouble and it ain't worth killing somebody over a deer or getting killed. Deer, small game, pheasant, mushroom and berry season, trapping, fishing were over for outside folk. I had the time and wanted to do it. It was a chore and I hated it at times. Rarely caught anybody, but seeing is believing, and the word spread in the neighborhood and local bars like that smoke in the wind again. 6. I shut the place completely down. No nothing, from anybody outside my immediate family. That meant my brother and I and we didn't hunt the place for 3 years. 7. I ain't a neighborly guy but I did deliberately get to know my neighbors and when the situation arose I told them what I was doing with the property and they respected that. More words got passed in the county. 8. Whatever you do keep it consistent. Once you let Pete in, Pete has family and they have friends and their friends have friends and pretty soon you have to put Port-A-Potties in the woods for them. 9. Have the lie of your land allow you to do it. My property is situated such that they have to come in my frontage. Makes it a lot easier. I have good dogs and they never sleep. They can tell our vehicles and the neighbor vehicles from a distance. A strange vehicle especially at night, alerts them, and in turn me. These guys are the trouble makers. They are the ones I would actually shoot. I will not put trail cameras in the woods. They will cut a tree down to get to them. I will put a camera on our frontage, as far back as I can. That works esp well at night, when the strobe goes off. Also helps to see who is dating who and don't want anybody to know. Heheh. 10. If you are going to do this, never, never ask another landowner for permission to hunt his property. Stay on yours. Here, if a landowner, I can legally hunt anything without a state license. I have to be tagged up but I can hunt without a lot of hassle. In 23 years of hunting I have never gone off this place.

There are other things, but as usual this is long winded and I will stop here. It will never end and probably will get worse. Unfortunately as Boots says it can be downright dangerous and not much fun anymore. John.

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I was driving to town one day when I cought 2 guys climbing over my fence right by a sign that said POSTED NO HUNTING.I stoped and asked them "just what do you think you're doing" and one of them said hunting and I told them no you're not hunting on my land and he said but the woman down the road said we could hunt here.Man that set me off so i said no you're not this is my land and you ain't gonna hunt on it.These guys were rich collage kids who's daddy's had bought them every thing they ever wanted and didn't understand or care that this was my land and would not take no for an answer and both of them were carring shotguns so I just reached in my truck pulled a handgun and pointed it at them.One of them said you can't point a gun at me I'll call the law on you and I told them that I would call the law to come and take the dead bodys off my land if you don't get the bodys out of here NOW!! Of corse they took of in a hurry but about 2 hours later a cop pulled into my driveway and I was gona jump on the cop for tresspassing when he got out of his car and held up his hands and said all I want to know is what happend so I told him,he said OK that's all I need to know and then drove away.No more problems.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    whatever you decide to do, use your head. remember the incident in wisconsin a few years back ? and, you cant hunt much from a jail cell with a tooth brush bow.

15. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks guys alot of helpful info,there is nothing like thinking youve got a place all to yourself ,and then looking down and seeing a ciggerette butt in your treestand,or a set of hunting boot prints right across your land.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jeff,

We have 180 acres of PRIME hunting land in western Oklahoma. It was my great grandmothers property, and actually came into the family during the land run. No one, other than family, had ever been allowed to hunt on the property. Well, in the mid-late 90's we started having a real problem with trespassing. Now, mind you that this property is fenced with a nice, TIGHT 5 wire, some areas 6 wire barbed wire fence. At this point, there were no wells on the property either, so to get on the land, you had to go through 1 of 3 gates. The hard part for us is we lived 100 miles EAST of the land. My grandma lived about 10 miles away from it, but she didn't have time to sit and watch for poachers. My grandma had been approached by a gentleman from OKC who wanted to hunt on the property. He was a retired police officer, and agreed to get rid of the tresspasser. He posted the property, Every other fence post has a sign now. Some are official signs, some are old tires with No Hunting No Tresspassing spray painted in reflective white on the tires. He then spoke to the neighbors *(they were the ones tresspassing)* and advised them that the rule was shoot first, ask questions later on tresspassers especially if they were carrying a weapon. This was also posted in the local paper each weekend for 1 month. Then, he spent 2 weeks camped on the property, and another 2 weeks showing up at odd hours of the day/night. When the neighbor's 4wheeler was shot out from underneath him, he filed a lawsuit. When it finally got to the judge, our lease holder explained his side, the judge asked the neighbor, were you on their property, YES, did you go through the gate, YES. The judge then smiled, laughed, and tossed the case out. Since then, we haven't had a problem. The only ones allowed to hunt on the property are family, and the lease holder. Nobody in the family hunts, and the lease holder is more interested in building the turkey and deer population than in hunting them. Last year he culled 1 deer, and was done.

Gotta love retired police officers!

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeff: Don't know if this should go in this thread or not. Here are a couple things I also do.

Road hunting here is legal. If they knock something down, they can cross onto your property and get it without their guns. Okey Dokey. I just can't stand them stopping in the road and popping a pheasant, rabbit or quail. If they are persistent about doing it, I call the cops with their license number and report that I "think" I saw uncased guns in the car. Cops and wardens love it, gives 'em the excuse to stop them. Never know what might turn up. Hens, illegal guns, no license, dope in the glove compartment, pistols, booze, whatever. At the least it kicks up the hunters ulcer level.

Road trapping here is popular when hides are high. Most people won't allow trapping on private land, me included. The road trappers are usually after mink, coon or coyotes. They find a game trail through a fence and usually use snares. I hate snares with a passion. If they have it hooked to my fence (my property) I have the neatest little bolt cutters. I even cut their washers, and remove their ID tags. The second time I leave a note and tell them how to find me, because they are trespassing on my property by hooking that puke snare to my fence, even if the law allows it or not. They can take me to court.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Found my first poached deer ever on my grandfathers land this year. Weve always had problems with trespassers even when they lived up there. I called the game warden and he came up to look around, said the best he could do was stop in when he could, about once a month.

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    hey, postbeetle, me and a couple of buddies were wondering if we could hunt your land...whadda ya say friend?:wink::smile2:

i enjoyed reading this thread....but all of you be careful. hunters carry guns, and illegal hunters are already felons...some of them will kill people too.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tires. We love em when they got air in em and hate em when flat.
    I stopped the trespassers cold.
    Buying a set of tires everytime you hunt aint worth it.
    Go for the sidewalls.

You can keep a man pretty busy changing every tire he owns. Sometimes you have to be destructive to give someone something constructive to do.