Plumbing question

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by littleman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I need your help. I'm trying to replace the kitchen sink drain. I have it apart, and was about to put it back together when i ran into a problem. According to the directions I'm supposed to use plumbers putty along with the rubber gasket. But I read the back of the plumbers putty and it has a toxic warning that says it may cause cancer and birth defects. It also says it doesn't cure and harden. So I'm wondering if I picked up the wrong stuff. Or if it is the right stuff, then is it safe to use? Also will it be able to create a water tight seal if it doesn't harden? Also I was wondering does the putty go down first and then the seal, or what.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Put the putty on then the seal and the drain. It will not harden but will seal.Clean the x-cess from around the edge after it is tightened down. Do not eat any and wash your hands when done.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've used clear silicone in a pinch , if your worried about the warnings on the putty they do make a food grade silicone but it costs more and might be hard to find not sure if lowe's would have it,,you would put the putty or slicone around the flange on the basket then drop it in thru the sink then from under the sink the gasket goes on then the flange nut ,probably need some help to hold the basket down while ya get the nut tight

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Better explained than mine !! LOL

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Tricia, I don't know if you've already got it done by now, but that is a job where an extra set of hands are really useful. We had to replace our entire sink a few months ago, so I feel your pain!

Stoney was right on about how to do it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Go ahead and use the plumbers putty that's exactly what it's made for. Get an extra set of hands. The make a special wrench to use when tightening the ring nut, the tool goes down in the basket to hold it while someone tightens the nut below. The reason why it doesn't get hard is because it is oil based. Since oil and water don't mix, the putty will help repel water to keep the seal from leaking. Put a big gob of it in your hand and work it like play dough in to a rope about the diameter of your pinky long enough to go all the way around the opening where the basket sits. Some will ooze out when the nut gets tightened. just scrape that up and put it back in the container. If you clean your sink with soap real good you won't end up with kids with 11 toes. When installing the drain and trap use some pipe joint compound around all the connections, it lubricates the threads making it easier to tighten everything up and it helps seal the connections. You can probably buy one of those wrenches, take it carefully out of the package use it and take it back if the package opens without tearing it. A Lowes employee told me people do it all the time. If you end up taking the sink up for any reason Put a bead of clear silicone around the sink opening on the counter top then sit the top in place and tighten down with clips provided with the sink. Extra silicone will ooze out. Let it dry for 24 hours then trim it away with a sharp razor blade.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    and do not let the kids run it through the play dough pumper.:fingers-crossed: