Plumbing problem, shower knobs keep turning

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 7, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    and turning and turning. They dont frigging stop. turn them left water turns on, turn them right the water turns on. I have to guess where middle is. More aggravating then anything as it dosnt drip if its in middle.

Probably stupid question, but I just need to get a new set of knobs and whatever the innards are for them right?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Probably. Especially if the knobs are plastic. Remove one of the knobs and closely inspect the wwwwwwww on the inside of the knobs and the outside end of the stems. You'll almost certainly find that one or the other, or both have been worn almost smooth. If the knobs are worn, you can easily replace them; if the stem is worn smooth, you'll have to replace them as well. More difficult, but not all that bad. Any place that carries a good supply for plumbing repair should have the parts. It will help if you know the brand name of the faucet AND have the old part. In theory, either one should be enough, but having both may save you a trip.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ;) jtrew is right you need to give a bit more info on what type of faucet you have.
    it could be a plastic handle that has broken tabs that allows the handle to turn without stopping in the off position.
    if this is the case the handles being replaced will eliminate the turning problem , but may not eliminate why they were broken.

if it was forced too hard to try and make the faucet quit dripping then the problem of dripping will still be there .

the worst thing a person can do to a leaking or driopping faucet is over tighten the handles it will only lead to a stronger leak and or broken stripped /handles.

***NOTE***
    ****first turn off main water supply if individual shut offs arent on the tub supply lines.*****

if its a plastic stem take the stem keeper nut off and pull the stem out and you will see the little black rubber "cups" below the cups are springs
    replace both on each side and if the stems dont look real smooth and flat go ahead and replace those too.

springs go in large coil first then the cup . it helps to take a ink pen or small diameter rod such as to fit in the opening of the cup and guide it in to its recess it fits in.
    be sure it fits in it snug and your able to push pressure against it and feel its resistance on the spring. ***dont allow your finger nail to scratch or
    embed into the rubber cup surface *** (it will leak)

hope this helps

if its a brass faucet valve let us know and we will try to help you fix it
    it is a different animal that a plastic washerless faucet;)

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Sounds like the knobs are stripped. Hopefully just the knobs. Like they have said already take them off and check the grooves on the knobs and stems. Sometimes if the stems are worn you can take a triangler file and clean them up. You might check the set screws also to see if they are loose.
    Good luck.
    Bill

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    after reading your post a second time my guess is like i said about the
    stop tabs broken .
    you say that you have to guess where the off position is.
    this points to a washerless design that has the stopping point built in to
    the stem and the handle .

the stem tab is white plastic and the handle tab is acrylic.
    the acrylic handle would be my guess as to the culprit.
    sounds lioke its tabs are cracked off and this will not allow it to stop in the off position makeing it able to spin each way left and right turning on the water.
    after you take the handle offlook to see if the hole and the stem shaft are half moon shapped or actually round with a small portion flattened off.
    if it looks like this get another set of handles and try that .
    but if water drips do like i described above and get the replacement cups.
    hopefully its just your handles.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You guys are awesome!! I know after buying my first house, I became a plumber by force and was scared half to death. But I never had to call a plumber and I learned a lot. But it sure would have been darn nice to have a place like this with knowledgable Brothers to turn to when I was taking my crash courses at plumbing.

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Dude, send me a pic of the faucet and I'll tell ya what brand and what parts you'll need.
    That was my speciallity for years.

8. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Sorry it took me so long to respond to you guys, but its been a hectic last few days due to taxes. Brand is probably el cheapo from walmart. I will take it off and check everything out. As far as buying parts for it, it sould probably be cheaper and I know easier for me to just buy a new one.

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I had the same problem with my bathroom sink. A knob broke and had to replace them. The facets were so old that all the knobs that I could find would not fit or would just keep turning. Had to replace the hole works.