plumbing/home repairs

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by fwmud, Aug 15, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    For whats it's worth,Throw my little hat in there.I've done general and speciallity home repair for years. If theres a question that you think I might help you with, feel free to post or PM me. :D

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Keith is there a way to take the stuff out and clean it, do you just turn the water off and take the spiqot out unscrew some stuff and then wipe it down. I cant see where there would that many parts

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ryan is this what your talking about???
    if so the center piece of this assembly is usually made up of 2 pieces
    a disc with a hole sometimes it brass some are plastic
    and the other side has numerous holes its always plastic.
    seperated those two and tap against a hard surface rinse it being careful not to drop into the sink.
    you might have to use a needle or pick to get all the crud out of the
    small holes.

note how the retainer rings go in when you disassemble

theres one that the screen fits in and maybe one on top of screen to hold the center assembly in place.

kieth may be too busy in the cookie thread or his gabbagail thread and forgot about this one LOL
    :rolleyes:

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Ryan, I'm only on during the day.
    If thats the part it's called an aeriator. You can find new ones at most stores. Take the old one with you I stock 18 different types/sizes. They're real cheap to replace. If you buy new one or repair old one,use a non-petrolleum grease on the threads to make it easier to remove next time.
    If you're just cleaning the aeriator water turn off isn't needed. If you're taking apart the entire faucet, by all means cut off water and "burb" the remaining pressure first.
    If that isn't the right part, let me know.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    There are three things ya need to know to be a plumber. Hots on the left,colds on the right and crap don't run up hill. That should do it. :rolleyes:

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    George, you for got the 4th and most important rule....don't chew your fingernails :grin-big:

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    There are 6 rules George;
    1 hot on the left
    2 cold on the right
    3 crap flows downhill
    4 bossman's a sob
    5 paydays on friday
    6 keep your fingers outa your mouth.
    :p

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I would like to throw my hat in also. I will leave the plumbing up to Keith because he for sure knows what he is talking about. I have over 37 years of wood working, house building, repairs, cabinets, furniture and so forth. I will be glad to help anyone I can.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

7th unspoken rule- Never shake your plumbers hand after!
    Sal

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jim, why don't you post a couple of those pictures here. That was so kind a pretty work.(It's not tootin your own horn if someone else asks you too LOL)

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I do appreciate the offers of help! I have a bad case of knowitallitis, (they based Tim the Toolman on me)LOL but one thing I can do.
    If anyone needs someone to show them how to spead organically processed grass and grain (politically correct term)
    Give me a ring, as they say! I'M FULL OF IT!

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Not quite on the aeriator that is just the tip of it I want to dissassemble the whole thing and clean it out. When moving it from side to side its kind of sticky like from dirt being in it. Would it be better for me to just buy a whole new assembly or clean it.

13. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Ryan, if you can post/send me a pic of it or tell me make and model,I can probably tell which way to go. (throw away/replace) is it single handle,2 handle?

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Sorry about that Keith its single handle I think its a kohler(sp)

15. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Ryan, itf it's a single handle Kohler, then yea it's worth rebuilding. Turn off water, remove the handle, then remove the bonnet nut underneath. If it's the faucet I'm thinking of, the spout will then pull straight up and you'll a set of O-rings around central body. Check here for;
    1 torn or worn O-rings
    2 lack of lube(non-petrolium based)
    3 any grit or debris
    Any of the above will have effects on the swiveling of the spout.
    I'll see if I have a pic of it.

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ill try to get one posted tonight Keith Ill be going to a baseball game. If the O-Rings are good but there is grit you just wipe it down dont you? Also what kind of grease would you use to lube it up?

17. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    it'll be hard to tell if O-rings are bad/good by just lookin. If it were me and the rest of faucet is in good shape,go ahead and replace them.
    The lube is commanly called;
    "heatproof grease"
    plumbers grease
    or any non -petrolium based lube. Just a thin,light coating is enough. The lube is to ensure the spout slides over O-rings instead of rolling/tearing them.
    Kohlers are good products,just expensive to buy/maintain.

18. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Since Keith asked for me to post some pictures of my past work here are three pictures. I am glad you like the other pictures Keith, thank you for the compliment and thank you so much for your help with the kitchen faucets.

I will be more than happy to help anyone I can with woodworking/home problem related questions.

Attached Files:

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    jim thats is some awesome lookin woodcraft there!
    you get an A+ in woodshop dude LOL.
    thanx for shareing the pics.

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Darryl, I really appreciate your compliments buddy. I am just an ole nail whooper, at least I use to be.