Plugs fouled

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jeffw51, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    ran can of tune up in a can thru motor,ran it the next day ran great for twenty minutes shut it off, then when i went to restart hard to start and had to limp back to ramp.it would barely run above idle and giving it more gas killed it .i went home end checked plugs all seem to be cold fouled ?could the carb cleaner cause this ?is spark plug heat range to cold?1970 115 johnson with champion L76v.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think it's likely that the stuff you ran through the engine is what caused your plugs to foul. Replace them and see if it happens again.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Any time you run cleaner through them take the plugs out and clean them Always keep an extra plug in that boat some where.
    First thing chunk those L76V surface gap plugs and go get you some QL77JC4 plugs and gap them at 40. They will fire better and more evenly and the 40 gap will slow fouling down. If you have trouble with them at 40 then drop it to 35

I hope that wasn't automotive type tuner you ran through it.

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    bubba i ran johnson/ evinrude engine tuner cleaner

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    on the tuner. I prefer sea foam but that tuner is good also.

Try those plugs I told you about and also if it was carboned up some what it will be breaking more of it loose. As it does be real careful running it on muffs because a chunk of that carbon will dry out when it breaks loose and if you aren't under power it will ignite and burn off the fuel at the same time the other piston is fireing and then you will have a engine running you can't shut down. A runaway. If this ever happens then just close off the choke and shut off all air to the carbs and it should shut down. I also disconnect my fuel line when this happens. I try not to run one on muffs I always try to back in down into the water if I need to get it done and go.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    double post sorry about that

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the plugs you recommend, where might i find them ,are they marine only?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They are marine plugs and I get mine through a parts store and every once in awhile I run upon some at wally world at a cheaper price.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jeff, most automobile parts stores either have marine parts on hand, or have access to them within two business days. Just go to your favorite store, if you have one, and ask the clerks. I favor Auto Zone because they do a lot of diagnostic tests free which helps save on the pocket book. LOL