PLS help explain? River Flathead Catfish V.S. Lake Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by varmint_sniper, Apr 11, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    When i fish lakes for flatheads i have to let them run with the bait for 20 or 30 yrd b4 i set the hook or 9 outta 10 times ill miss the fish why is this ? I hear river flatheads inhale the bait almost instantly why do lake flatties not do the same way?

2. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive never noticed a difference between river and lake flathead runs, something that helped increase my hookup rate however is when you hear that clicker singing immediately engage the reel and wait till you feel the weight of the fish, no need to let them run. instead of letting them run engage the reel immediatly and set that hook home as soon as you feel the weight! even with a 10+ in bait those flatties get it in their mouth right away.

3. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    Ive tryed that and i still miss fish i dont know what iam doing wrong?

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    What type of hook are you using? I would suggest you use a kahle on flathead.

5. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    i only use kahles 7/0 to 10/0s there my favs

6. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well Will try a circle hook. Iv found that thay pretty much set there self.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    River flatheads have current to fight as well. When they take the bait they usually gulp it and take off because of the fear of losing it in the current. Lake or pond flats can play with it a lot longer till they decide they want it. I can't tell you you're missing them though. Where are you hooking your bait? how much of a bite with the hook are you taking in the bait? Maybe too much??? I don't hook too deep into my bait. I like it to rip free from the bait when I set the hook. plus it closes the gap of the hook when hooking too deep. It also has a habit of opening the fishes mouth when you pull your bait back out. This wont happen if the hook rips free from the baitfish.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why do you assume that it is flatheads that you are missing? A big lake flat will inhale the bait too. You know some times those run are channels. I believe that they will grab a bait no matter how big and run away from other channels to eat in piece.:wink:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will agree with this...If you are missing alot of runs, I would think they are not flatheads that are running with the bait.

I have read where alot of people assume that just because they get a run and miss it, that they miss a flathead.

When 9 times out of 10 it's another fish species, turtle etc making the run.

Usually a channel cat.

If you are missing alot of runs, I would be willing to bet they are not flatheads.

This is even more true if you are getting alot of runs, you just wont get many flatheads runs in a night or week of fishing.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Change to a smaller bait and hook. If it is channels you will catch them. If it is a flathead he will have the bait futher back in his mouth. JMO

11. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    thax for the info guys will try some suguestions and get back to ya iam only gettin 1 or 2 good runs a night and when a channel cat hits they take off pretty fast when a flattie hits and runs the clicker seems to go out slower had an old timer tell me yrs back a channel cat will run fast with ur bait and flattie will take it off slower is this true? the ones i miss are the slow runs off of the clicker when i get a fast run i almost allways set into a decent channel cat

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A lot of times with live bait we fishermen seem to try to put a bit more meat around the hook so to speak thinking that the lil son of a gun might get off. You just need to make sure there is plenty of gap showing and all the hook point exposed. I personally would go to a larger hook and check fo telltale triangle bite marks being lakes are notorious for turtle which also "play" with the bait. A missed flathead bite in my experience result in a scaled bait with a bite mark or an indentation in the bait (a line all the way through the bait as a flathead has a big mouth.... like my ex)

13. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are fishing in a body of water that holds gar.... they love to steal live bait.

14. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    i dont beleve there are gars in the MWCD lakes could be wrong though as far as hook size i use 7/0 to 10/0 kahles for all my live baits 7/0s for chubs and smaller suckers and the 10/0s for bluegille and big suackes ,bullheads and that kinda stuff think i need bigger hooks yet?

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Naw, 10/0 Kahles are big enough depending upon brand, you couldn't give me an Eagle Claw Kahle because they are so thick.... I have used the King Khale. I personally like 12/0 Gamakatsu offset Octopus and Octopus circles but that is just a personal preference.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From my experience, I have caught several flatheads from the Ohio river after letting them run the line about 20-30 yards.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Just Don't...

When the clicker goes off, engage the reel and wait. Let the fish "load-up" on the rod. It will be bent over double. At the last moment, right when you THINK " I gotta set the hook or he will feel me and spit it out" Just WAIT a second or two longer. All the sudden you will feel a massive Head-Shake. That's when you should set the hook. Never under any circumstances let a fish run more than a foot or two if you are near the rod.

The reason I tell you this is that when a Flathead over 20 pounds eats your bait, he has ENGULFED it. He didn't bite it on the tail, or nibble at its head. He sucked the whole bait into his cavernous maul.

I don't know if you are aware or not but Flatheads have two sets of PADS or teeth (not counting the ones on their lips). One set on the roof of their mouth and one on the bottom. They are located right in front of their stomach.

They suck the bait to the back of their throats, then clamp down with these pads. Their jaws are still wide open, but these pads in the back are holding the bait secure,trying to kill it. That is how you miss fish. You are setting,thinking the mouth is closed when its not. And you set the hook and most likely get your bait back just looking abused. If you just let the rod load up far enough, the fish will start to slip from the pads. The flat feels this and clamps his mouth closed, then gives that head shake to finally kill his prey and prevent its escape.

Hope this helps.

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good info Sman!

19. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    s man thax ill give it a try good info again thax

20. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Very informative Skip. Thanks for teaching an old dog something new...