Pleez To Help Me

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dip, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    pli have a 16.5 deep-V with a 2000 Merc 25 tiller. boat ran fantastically last year when i bought it. i winterized and stored mota over winter. changed pluggz and lower unit oil as well as cleaned filter before using it. mota starts great, idles great and runs great up to 10 mph. when it warms up boat dogs out and wont go over 10. went up to 23 last year. got merc manual, it says mota 2 1/4" too low. how would this affect performance? probly have tilt wrong too, i have it on 2nd closest hole to transom. mota is mounted in exactly same place as when i bought it so it must have been low then too. how should i shim it up or should i? any help appreciated!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like it's not getting fuel - check your fuel lines, tank, pickup, etc. for any restriction or air leaks. If you're using an old metal tank, it's probably rusted inside and a chunk is clogging things up. If there's a crack in the fuel tubing anywhere, it'll suck air and not gas.

I presume the fuel is fresh and not leftover from last year? If it's old fuel, burn it in your lawnmower and get some good new fuel, new oil and add Sta-Bil to keep it from going bad.

If you're using the same plugs that you had in the motor when you fogged the cylinders for winter storage, they might be fouled also - replace them with a new set.

I wouldn't worry about the position of the motor until you get the other problems worked out.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I agree with Marty. Definetly sounds like a fuel problem. If you didn't burn all the fuel out of your carbs last time you ran the boat before putting it up for the winter, it is possible the fuel turned to a varnish substance and plugged your carbs. May try spraying some carb cleaner in the bore of the carb with the motor running... see if that improves anything. As Marty said, check your fuel filers, fuel lines, rubber o-ring connections at both ends of the fuel hose, etc. The problem will be there. Don't alter the trim of your motor, shouldn't have to unless you get the problems straightened out and are not satisfied with the motor's perfomance at that time.

4. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    funny thing is i didn't do anything but monkey with the idle speed on the choke and the mota ran like a champ! planed out at 23 with a heavy load! had some grey goo coming out of prop exhaust..... took it to dealer on way home and the guy did a pressure check on lower unit and it held up.

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Brothers;
    I saw where the product called "Sta-Bil" was mentioned. I started using this product two years ago both in my lawn mower and in my Sthil 440M Magnum Chainsaw for winter storage. I've had nothing but trouble free fuel problems since then! With today's gasolines that are available, I've even taken to using it regularly in the tanks. Seems like things run a bit smoother and start a bit easier too, especially in cooler or colder weather, but that may be just my overactive imagination!:roll_eyes:
    I have two push lawn mowers and on a lark, I put some "Sta-Bilized" fuel in the one, cut the grass, filled it back up again and then let it sit for a year. I pulled once, remembered that I forgot to pump the primer, did that, the mower fired right up on the second pull with absolutely no problems!:smile2:
    Even if it's only a preventative measure and something that is mostly in my head, I now use the product in all of my small engines! For me, it's cheap insurance and it was recommended by the man that has been to all the factory small engine schools and knows them inside and out. My Stihl chainsaw will start by the third pull in zero weather and if it ever does not, I have orders from my master small engine engineer to bring it back to him pronto! :big_smile:
    He has never told me wrong yet!
    This is one of the very few products you will ever see me recommend on the BOC website! There is just too much junk out there to take a chance. I will only recommend things that meet my personal standards and trust me, they are quite high!!:cool2:
    Hope this post helps someone.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I take it that the exhaust comes out the prop? If so the gray goo is nothing to worry about. It is just oils and gas that have not burned. I get it in mine alot. Having the seal check was a very good idea.
    Bill

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Looks like you got all the help you need. Next!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    LOL @Bobpaul. You ain't right man. :big_smile_2: