pleasing the lake gods

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    over the years i have developed some superstition, as i'm sure we all have, I have my lucky hat, that rod and reel i alway catch fish on, tuning around five times clockwise, and jumping back three times while saying boc, just kidding there, the point is we have certain thing we do to ensure our success on the lake, on of the thing i do is giving up bait to the lake gods, sounds wierd eh, well before i start fishing i will give up the head and tail of my shad to the lake gods, sounds strange, well it even gets stranger if i forget to do it i will not get any bites till i give up the shad. So you tell me fact or fiction is there lake gods. If you have any fishing superstition you do lets here it.

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I dont fill my bucket with water till i catch a keeper.

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    lucky hat, penny in my right boot, Drink an ale8one, and play bluegrass music on the way to fish. But I will start giving the Gods some bait.:smile2:

4. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    When the bites start slowing down, I always say out loud, "Well, I'll cast just ONE more time and then I'm leaving." That's when I get another bite!!!
    Debbie

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yoga always seems to help me..lol thats just a bad joke. i always like to open a coke /beer or start to eat a sandwich and that seems to always work.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never pull out a stringer ,till I catch one. And I always keep the first fish,i may turn it loose later ,but The first one always goes on the stringer or in the basket.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For me it is more of a rutine than supersticion. When I fish in the early morning I always stop for a cup of hot cocoa at the gas station, that is pretty much the only time I drink hot cocoa, and I have my kids in to the rutine also, they get their own cup now. At the water I do not start eating or drinking until I get my fist fish, sometimes that is a long time.:smile2:

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Like Richard, I never have the stringer at the ready and when I pull in the first cat of the day, I release it and tell it to go invite its siblings to the good meal it just found.:cool2:

9. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    I thank the lake gods at the end of the trip when I'm all packed up and on my way out. I stop where I can go to lake and raise a toast and thank them for the good time I had. I haven't been skunked in many, many years! It's just a tradition and gives me an excuse to stay just a little longer........

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always cast the pole on my right first, "we can fish only 2 poles". That pole always gets hit first whether 5 minutes or an hour. Also I do not grab my pliers from my bag until the first fish is landed. When I fished the salt in California I always swallowed a live anchovie from the bait tank before the first cast as my way of blessing the boat. :roll_eyes: I won many a jackpot that way.

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I chug a can of mountain dew. The can is green like a 4 leaf clover and it's my favorite drink.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont bring the net. If I do, if I catch anything, its bait. There was a chant I used to do during a skunking.

fishy fishy in that brook
    why dont you bite on my gd hook!

13. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Seeing this makes me laugh in a good way! We always throw a little chunk of bait into the water, wether it be livers, crawlers or cut bait !!