Please teach me the basics of carp fishing.

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Jnagel, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I was out catfishin at my favorite lake, i always see big carp everytime i'm out there swirling on the surface. Well today i snagged into a big one on accident. Man oh man it was one hell of a fight, i snagged it on my bait catching pole with 12lb line and wore him down for about 15 min when i almost had him to the bank the hook ripped out. i have always been a catman but someone please tell me how to fish for these monsters.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    can o corn, little, strong hooks.

3. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In a nutshell, that's it. It can be pretty simple. It can also be really complicated, if you're going for numbers or big ones. Others on this site can help with that stuff, but since you asked for basics...

I like to chum an area with sweetcorn, put a few kernels on a #6 or #4 hook, use as little weight as I can, and cast to the edge of the area I've chummed. Either use a strong rod holder or hold on to it... they'll yank your rod right into the water if you aren't paying attention. Be prepared for a strong fight.

4. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    do carp bite better in the day time or night? there are a lot in the river down the road and i cant seem to catch them.