Please Take Care!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catfishjohn54, Jun 5, 2008.

1. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just a friendly reminder to all of my fellow catfishing maniacs out there: please take care!! May 2008 was one of the wildest and wettest May's on record, and 2008 has been The Year of the Tornadoes, shattering all previous records across the nation. We are getting storms that build up out of nowhere before our very eyes, or they steamroll into or across Nebraska at 40 mph!! I was fishing at Twin Lakes East last week and I scarcely avoided the 70 mph winds. As I left I saw two boats still on the water. That's scary. While I was at Branched Oak lake a few days ago the wife called and warned me to get out of there! She said there were tornadoes near Seward! I didn't take her as seriously as I should have. I saw the gray skies, but I could not see the full horizon. I was way back in the shallows, on foot, when all hell broke loose above me. I got soaked, and beat to death by five foot high nettles, branches, hail, rain, and buffallo grass, but what really scared me was the funnel cloud I witnessed pass over me. "Stupid" scarcely describes my decision to "see how bad it gets" before I gave up fishin for the day, and "the look" I got when I got home was even worse... lol. If I had been in a boat at the time I may have been swamped or flipped over. So: PLEASE be careful out there guys!! Take it from me and don't get yourself hurt or killed for a fish this year. Tight lines.

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I hear ya John !! I've been caught out a couple of times myself, and it can get real scary real fast thanks for the reminder :wink:

3. LATNITCATS

LATNITCATS New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Big storms are a blessing and a curse in the same regards. The outer edges of the Brown Frown Water are productive towards certain species... as well as the Deep clear waters. Each has his own. So to speak. Target the shorelines representative of the winds, in front of or behind, and use the angles to your advantage. Species specifics are very important.

4. Rapptorman

Rapptorman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great head's up there. I appreciate it very much.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Thanks for the post John! All fisherman should be aware of the weather when we're fishing. Storms are notorious about blowing up out of no where. I like to keep tabs on the weather when venturing out in the boat or even on the bank. Sometimes I will carry a portable weather scanner with me. I have been caught in some violent storms. One time myself and a couples buddies of mine were fishing the Tri-County canal, when this storm approached rapidly. It was a true blessing that we had a small bridge to park the boat under. Within minutes, golf ball size hail had fallen and the winds were blowing strongly. After what seemed like a hour, we decided to leave and head back to the cabin. My wife said we were quite lucky, because there was a tornado about 5 miles from our location. We had no idea there was storms in the area. Thank God was looking over us that day!! Be careful guys and gals. Make sure to keep an eye on the sky! No fish is worth risking your life over!!:wink:

Take care, Be Safe!!
    Mark..