Please Read stolen motor

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by alwayslearning, May 26, 2007.

1. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have been hit by a low life that has NO concern for another persons hard earned property. The engine was stolen off the back of my boat last night. It was a new 4 stroke 9.9 Mercury. I know not the biggest nicest engine but it was what I could afford and I worked hard to have it and pay for it. I would like nothing more than to find it but I am sure it is gone. However if anyone see's one for sale I have the serial number and would be happy to PM it to you to make sure you are not buying a fellow catfisher's stolen motor not to mention I could let the police know who is trying to sell it. I had planed on fishing the next three days and now of course those plans are shot. Please if anyone finds a motor for sale that fit's the description let me know!

2. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Very sorry to hear that you were a victim of a crime like that. Some people have no respect for others hard earned property. Hopefully the thief is stupid enough to try and sell it and gets caught trying to sell it. I hate hearing about stuff like this happening to any of the brothers or sisters here.
    *Very Important: If you haven't already, make sure the police have the serial number of your motor so that they can enter as stolen into their computer system, this will make it more difficult for someone to try and sell your motor and it might help you get your motor back. I really hope there can be a positive ending to this. Sorry to hear about this happening to you.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    very true , make sure they know the serial number that way u have a lil bit of chance gettin it back. i think i know where a 9.9 is im indiana though will chek it out anyway for ya

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jeff, I am so sorry that this happened to you buddy, that is terrible, there are low lifes everywhere.

5. alwayslearning

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The first thing I did was call the Police and file a report. I know there is nothing really they could have done by coming to the scene and looking but it would have been nice to have talked to them face to face. Instead they just took my number and took the report and serial number over the phone.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Very sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of low life thieves in this world. That is one of the main reasons I have not bought a boat yet. I am afraid that someone will mess with it or steal it.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As I understand it, they steal it in your area and sell it in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, etc. It probably will not show up in your local area. These old boys have got a pipeline going for small, expensive items like motors. My friend couldn't understand my concern about leaving a 5 HP Mercury on a boat overnight. Them darn things can walk. Think there is a locking mechanism for about 10.00 which keeps them from unscrewing the motor and walking off. Course it probably wouldn't stop a thief with a bolt cutter. I am wishing you a lot of luck in the recovery of your property.

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes, Everyone East of Old Miss should keep an Eye out. With all the members of the BOC, we should be able to check any 9.9 Mercury for sale. BOC version of "America"s Most Wanted". Let's catch this one!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry this is an excellent idea. The BOC members can make a difference in this situtation,It would be nice if we could get part of the serial number. Maybe last 5 digits.:big_smile:

10. alwayslearning

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    11536 is the last five of the serial numberThanks everyone!

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeff, I feel for you. That's such a shame since you had just bought it. Low life thieves will steal anything. I once though my pontoon had been stolen, I called the sheriff's office. They came out and filled out a report. I asked the deputy if he though maybe one of the marinas could have picked it up by mistake... he said he'd check that out but he never. A marina from the other side of the lake brought it home after 2 days.
    I had a 15 HP that I used for many years. I would leave it overnight on the boat on TX and CO lakes but always had it locked.

I wish you luck on recovering the motor.

12. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jeff I told you I was from the beach I could have told you there is nothing much more than crackheads and druggies down there,the best thing I can say is there are what 4 fresh water lakes there go to them and tell them to what happened and what to look for and maybe you could get l;ucky and fine your motor,but sorry to say your probally screwed sorry to here! 1bigblue:cool2:

13. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    ill keep my eyes peeled over here in indiana in case it might walk this way

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    This is really a long shot, but keep an eye on ebay. I just checked all the merc 9.9 this morning and no serial # matched, but you never know.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The serial number is probably the first thing that will come off the motor. Best hope is these thieves are not rocket scientist. Sometimes they are just plain stupid and trip themselves up. Lets hope this is the case. For what good it will do, I'll check out the Mercs I hear of in OK.

16. alwayslearning

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    has anyone ever had to deal with Progressive insurance to get a stolen motor replaced? I just hope they don't try to undercut the replacement cost too much and I hope they take into account that I have to replace my controls since they were all cut.

17. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    make sure u tell them everythign and they should give u a brand new 9.9 .

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I, too, am sorry about your loss.

One thing that I have started doing is engraving my last name in an out-of-the-way place where I know thieves won't look. Since the serial number is the first thing to be filed off, I figure that the name just might stay. I can't say it has helped me yet, but it is an additional identifiable marking that I pass along to the police (and others) to watch out for.

I hope that you get the motor back.

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WHAT A REAL SHAME. OUGHT TO DO THIEVES LIKE THEY USED TO, STEAL LOSE YOUR HANDS!!!

20. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That really sucks. People have no respect for other peoples property these days. Good luck in finding your motor!!!