Please read-possible impersonating of an officer on the water March 3rd 2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by DCcatfisher, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This past monday one of my friends and myself were out on the Yadkin River in between the Buck Steam Plant and Highrock Lake crappie fishing. We were in behind an island fishing a small hole (approximately 60' in diameter) off of a point that is known for holding crappie this time of year. After probably 15 minutes of fishing another boat pulls up well within casting distance and the gentlman on it begins fishing. Shortly after his arrival he recieves a telephone call and I hear him tell someone his location. Just minutes later another boat arrives, pulls up in between us and the other boat and the occupants of it, which include two grown men and a young boy begin fishing. After about two hours which during the time they crossed our lines various times due to crowding in beside us, they said they were leaving. The young boy got in the boat with the older gentelman who arrived first and they left. Once they were out of sight the boat with the two remaining men crunk up and started to leave and immediately pulled up behind us and announced they were wildlife enforcment officers. They were not in uniform or there was not any type of markings on their boat to verify that they were who they said they were. One of them did very briefly display some sort of badge but put it back in his pocket before either one of us had a chance to see what it said on it. After they checked our catch and safety equipment they asked to see our fishing license. My friends had unknowingly expired and the officer said he couldn't write a ticket that day because he didn't have his ticket book with them. He took a picture of my friends drivers license and a picture of his face and said he would contact him later in the week to issue his citation. After they left we pulled up anchor and headed back to the York Hill boat landing to head home. Upon arriving at the landing the men were standing at the landing and I asked them for some cards with there name on them and which counties they worked in. One of them would not offer any information as to whom he was or what county he worked in and the other one showed some form of ID of a man in a wildlife officers uniform but it really didn't appear to be the same guy to me. I finally got the one with the ID to say he worked in Davidson and Rowan counties and he answered for the other guy and said he was from Mecklenburg county. As we were tying down my boat I noticed the boat the men were in loaded on a trailer being towed by a white ford expedition. As we were leaving the parking lot the man and the boy pulled up to the landing. The men claiming to be officers was a rather large black man carrying a pistol, he's the one who wouldn't give up any information. The other guy was a medium build white man with dark hair and a mustache trimmed to the corners of his mouth. The young boy appeared to be around 8-12 yrs old and wore glasses. The man in the boat by himself was an older man with gray hair and a gray beard, his boat was a green polarcraft alumminum boat with the words DAILY DEVOTION on the side in white lettering. The other men were also in a green polarcraft boat. I do not know if they were really wildlife officers, in my opinion they didn't show sufficient idenification. If it is the case that they were not now there is someone who has my buddies information that could be used against him. I called the main enforcment office in Raliegh and spoke to someone about what happened. They said they were going to check in on it and see what was going on in the area. If they were in fact officers I think they were very unprofessional in the way they handled the situation, not to mention the fact that they could have endangered the well being of a minor should something had went wrong with there little stake out they did. If you are in the area and are approached by anyone of this nature you have the right to ask them to show sufficient ID and you have the right to hold it and examine it until you are satisfied that they are actually officers of the law. I didn't know that until I called Raliegh yesterday. I will most definitely keep an eye out for them or other suspicious people around me while on the water from now on.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good question, we have a few members who are in that field of service, I am sure one will chime in.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well that sounds a little fishy to me. There ain't no one gonna see my I.D. and take a picture of it period:eek:oooh::smile2: Sounds like ya better change your license # and if it was a warden then i would turn him in....sounds like one we got around here...he was caught hunting out of state with no license:smile2::eek:oooh::wink: and all they did was a demotion and a transfer:eek:oooh: Man these days someone approaches and demands some I.D. they better show there's first..and take there sweet time a doing it:wink: and ya know if it was an officer (which i doubt) he was shaming the field with un-ethical practices....should have got his tag # AND FILED A COMPLAINT.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You mentioned a big black guy as one of the game wardens. There is a black guy inthats works in Mecklenburg county. His's name is Tracey. I've been with him on several patrols on Lake Wyile.

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
  6. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Im with BigSam on this one!

Instead of posting here. I would be contacting the NCWRC and the local sherriff dept. AND DMV. Now your identity is out there somewhere. With all your important information on it. Home address for break-ins. Birthdate and license number for scammers. I personally think you got yourself in a situation that might result in something far more than just being on the lake. I hope and pray Im totally wrong. But man, Dont never give out stuff like that unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what your doing. I would have took my cell phone and called the wildlife people and verified this character before he would have got anything from me. And if he was legit....I dont think it would have bothered him.

Good luck on this rather odd situation....
    ~Teddy

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    dc being in law enforcement myself this seems to be a little fishy. the best advice i can give you is that next time instead of remembering what kind of boat it was and the name on it is to JUST remember the license # on the bow or write it down. same for when you get back to the ramp. every detail in the world dont help law enforcement if we dont have a license plate #. with either one of those two its VERY EASY for us to track down who these yahoos really were. if they were real law enforcement they would have had no problem letting you read what exactly their badges said and (at least in iowa) have a photo ID to go along with it. I also have NEVER heard of any real cop taking a picture of an ID. all he should have done had he been real was call it in to his dispatch and have them hold it for him to pick up later. in my own opinion he was a fraud or at the very least a VERY UNPROFESSIONAL officer making the rest of us look bad and boy does that get me fired up!!!!!

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that sounds like the same situation where they pull your juglines to get your info, then they know you are on the water & either go to your house or tell someone to go by there when you're fishing!!

9. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It turns out they were legitimate officers. My buddy just called me and said they caught up with him to issue him his ticket this afternoon. Either way I still think they were very unprepared and unprofessional in how they handled the situation. There's no telling how many other people they pulled the same stuff on during the course of the day. I also got a call back from the NCWRC in Raleigh this evening but I had left my cell phone at home while I was away, hopefully I can get in touch with them tommorow. Thanks for all the advice and insight from everyone.

10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I agree they could have been more professional.But look at it this way you don't have to worry about thieves.

11. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Sorry to hear you got a ticket. But at least they didn't steal your ID.

12. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    when you talk to the higher ups tomarrow you may want to ask why they spent 45 minutes fishing on your tax dollars. If you had lines in the water the whole time then you were obviously fishing and they didn't need to "fish" and watch you that long. Should have taken five minutes or less to prove you were in the act of fishing and they could have checked you and 10 others in the amount of time they were "working" near you. JMO

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!:sad2:

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd have to say that is one of the sorriest excuses for law enforcement I've heard of. So they pull right on top of you and start fishing tangle your lines and then all the sudden they "spring into action" and "bust" you. What a joke. They could have done their job in a couple of minutes and been on about their business. Why were they "undercover"? There is no need for that. They should leave the undercover stuff for catching thieves, murderers, ect. not trying to sneak up on somebody who's not even trying to get away.

15. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Did you happen to ask him how many bullets he had in his pistol?

I bet his name tag said Barney on it!

16. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Sad thing is, if they get reprimanded you better make sure you have everything right everytime you go there because they will be watching for you!

17. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    kevin i fish that area too,if i get the same guy he will let me hold that id of his first,thanx for this post..

18. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I also carry a side arm when fishin,im not takin any chances any time or any where,i carry it where it can be seen so there is no question in anyones mine im packin with one in the hole,too old to play games anymore..

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I would probably fight that ticket as some sort of entrapment. Maybe they were'nt actually working, but observed something and decided to check it out. Regardless, no one is going to take a digital image of my ID. Additionally, if they don't have sufficient id or proof enough for me, someone, probably me will be on the cell to the local authorities to straighten it out.

If things happened as you say, I might suggest you take it to his superiors (up to the Governor) and threaten media attention. In other words is it worth it to them to pursue in light of the public eye blacking.

I guess I'd just complain a bit and then pay the durn ticket, but.... It's not the worst thing in life.

Next time, REALLY tangle their lines.... just make sure you're completely legal! :wink:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like a case of somebody sittin on someboy else's fishin hole on their day off.