Please, Please, Red Rock info

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Iowa Brothers and Sisters,

I need some help regarding the Red Rock Reservoir, particularly above the Highway 14 mile long bridge. Last summer, when my brother-in-law and I were boating/scouting above that bridge, we saw a number of barely submerged trees even though the water was 15-20 feet deep. Caution being the better part of valor, we decided to fish below the bridge.

Last weekend, I was down to southern Iowa visiting family (I'm originally from Decatur County). On the way home as I was crossing the bridge, I saw several boats above the bridge zipping right along. Here is all I need to know. Is it safe boating above the 14 bridge? How far up can one go before losing a prop? It looks like there's a ton of good fishing up there and I'd love to check it out, I just don't want to have to spend an hour putting along through stumps to get there.

Mike.

2. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Red Rock being one of the flood control Res. of Iowa depends on water from upstream. Especially Saylorville Lake, the more water coming out at saylorville the better. All I can recomend is to call (641)-828-7522 it is an automated system that will direct you to how to get the info you need such as inflow outflow and temp and fishing report and lake level. Hope this helps

3. UNIONMAN

UNIONMAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    MIKE:

I can't give you much information as I hav'nt set in Red Rock for the last 3 years. I have been north of the 14 bridge about a half a mile with a 21 foot ski boat and had no problem about 3 years ago. Of course the water level varies the same as the weather. Since that time we got the kids out of the house and I traded for a fish and ski boat to satisfy my wife who skis and my need to fish in something that doesn't have a white interior.

We spend most of our time at Rathbun as the better half does not fish but enjoys the camping site and sking. The catfish are numerious but generally smaller that what I have caught in Red Rock. I generally go at night or early in the morning and have good luck just south of 14 bridge at Red Rock.

If I make it to Red Rock I will check out north of the bridge and let you know what I find.

I enjoy you articles on this site and plan to try your methods when time permits. Keep on fishing!

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Stan, thanks for the info. Always glad to hear from a union man. A bunch from my wife's family are going to Red Rock for 4 nights in October. I'm really looking forward to it.

5. crs#1catkiller

crs#1catkiller New Member

State:
    iowa
    great info thank for everything