Please I.D. this motor for me

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Prowler, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Just picked this motor up today. Runs good, I want to go ahead and change the impeller on it just to be on the safe side. But i cannot for the life of me find a model / serial / hp rating or anything anywhere on the motor.

anyone have an idea from the pic what it might be? was told it's a mercury 20hp and that's it.

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    looks like a 60s vintage to me ,maybe late 50s.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Go on line to www.oldmercs.com Then go to 1940-1979 Model guide.go down to 1964-1966 models.If the info plate is not riveted to the left side of the swivel bracket,it was removed.Caution.The most common reason for removal is to remove the info on a stolen motor.I got this from a game warden.He said that they always check out a motor without one,so have proof of purchase.Yours looks like what I remembered a 1966 model 110,9.8 hp.looking like that a fishing buddy owned.I bought a 1968 model 110,9.8 hp.and it was a little different.I hope this helps.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had one of those once, a 9.8, like pewee said. Not sure what year model it was, though.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That is an old Merc from the late 50s early 60s. The 10HP, 15HP, and the 20HP were the same motor, different carbs and different timeing. My first outboard that ever was worth a hoot was an old 10HP. That was before the government got involved in the real HP ratings. LOL The old 10 HP Merc's really put out about 17 HP.

Hey it was all about who built the best little motor back then. And if my 10HP Merc would run circles around your 10 HP Johnson, Hey everyones oppion was Merc made a better motor. What they did not tell everyone was it really was putting out 17 HP. LOL LOL

I ran into the same thing with a 1988 25 HP Evenrude, My nephews had a 1988 25 HP Merc. My Evenrude would flat run away from them. They blamed boat weight and about every excuse they could think of. When the truth of the matter was the Evenrude was 500+ ccs and their Merc was in the 400 cc range. I had a 100 cc advantage. lol lol I never did tell them that. lol lol

If you get that old Merc running right, it will start on the second pull every time. 1 with the choke on and fire on the second pull with it off. I had mine on a 12' Browning semi V . Boy it was fast. It would clip over 30 with one person in the boat.

I used it to fish the St. Joe river and it was one great little outfit. Thanks for bringing back the memorys.

:smile2::smile2:

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They say the info plate should be above and between the clamp screws for the model 200,20 hp.I gave you the location for the model 110,9.8 hp.All of these old motors were rated at the power head back then.Some claimed that it was only a 10% difference.Many users and mechanics believed it was closer to 25%.I know that all of the manufactures sure fought having to go to a uniform at the prop hp. rating and all using the same methods to rate their motors.Just don;t expect it to put out the same hp.as a modern motor rated for the same hp.Be sure to check out your starter rope on any old motor.Check the gear case oil for water each time you use it for the first few times to check for seal leakage.Also all rubber on the fuel system.I also learned to check behind the prop for line wrapped up as it can work into a seal.I was well satisfied with my 68.Hope you are as happy with yours.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Well I figured out what it is :roll_eyes:

1965 Kiekhaufer Mercury Super Hurricane 200 (20hp)

She's running like a champ, shifts gears good, and purrs like a kitten. Just need to go ahead and replace that impeller and I think i will be very happy.

Does anyone have a blow up diagram of the lower unit for this type or similar motor

And can anyone point me in the direction of supplier for the impeller part. (the local marine parts store guy gave me a real odd look when I told him the year make and model, after a lot of searching he told me it would be about 250$ for the impeller and it would take a month to come in) That price cannot be for real.:confused2:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I PM'd you a link to a guy that can help you with the parts, Best in the business on old mercs.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I well remember the Mercury Hurricanes of the 50's and all of the different colors they came in.You could easily spot most them a mile away.I don;t remember seeing any new ones after the 50's and don;t remember any in black.Does anyone here know the last year they made them?I thought it was 1959,but I must be wrong.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee