Please Help!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by veryama1975, Mar 6, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I'm pretty new to baitcasting. I just got my abu 6000 about a month or two ago. I've gotten pretty good with it while using 20lb mono & a 1 ounce sinker. I still get a few backlashes but not very often.

However, I've recently been thinking that I might like to try using my abu for lures as well as just using it for regular catfishing. I bought a 1/4 ounce practice plug & took it out to try it. I had the worst backlash I've ever had. I did adjust the cast control but it didn't seem to do any good. I then tried to use 12lb line in hopes that the lighter line might make the difference with the light practice plug so that I wouldn't get the backlash. It didn't do any good.

My question is: Is a 1/4 ounce lure or practice plug just too light for an abu 6000 regardless of what size line I use with it? If I want to use my baitcaster for artificials am I just going to have to only use much heavier lures?

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    besides adjusting the magnetic casting control you need to adjust the freespool knob which is just below the star drag. To set it push your cast button and watch your lure. If the lue starts falling quickly you need to tighten the knob. You want the lure to just barely start falling toward the ground. The magnetic control will not control your freespool by itself but adds a little extra to help keep from backlashes and over spins. Also when you cast don't keep your wrist vertical. Turn it over when you cast kinda like throwin a ball. Hope this helps.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    While never bass fishing or casting a bait caster,I have paddled or run a trolling motor for them that did quite a few days of my life.Often paddling for $2.00 a dawn to dark day as a kid.The old bait casting lures ran from 1/4 oz.to 3/4 oz. and on up.With the worm rigs,the fisherman is the limit in deep or swift water.

Now,if you are using a rod made for heavy bait and weight like many use for Cat fishing,you need a different rod to do your best.

Look the different casting baits and rods up on the internet and you will see what I am talking about.

Also,if you are going to do both,two reels or a spare spool for the different lines are great.To me the ease of changing spools with lines was the single greatest thing about open face spinning and some of the Penns that folks used to cast huge lures for big Stripped Bass on the Santee.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I'm using my 5 & 1/2 ft Cherrywood.

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My old 5 1/2 foot Cherrywood has the old style short fat pistol grip with trigger which would let it have a little more rod in front of the reel.Is yours the longer straight handle with trigger grip like the picture on Catfish Connection?

Now I use to cast plugs and spinners for hours for Chain Pickerel and pan fish.I mainly used Zebco & Johnson Spin casters and Open faced spinning reels.I released all bass unless I had some one to give them to as I don't care for them to eat.I can and have eaten them,but I prefer most other fish.I can make a great meal off of Hush puppies or Grits when bass is the fish.As I am loosing my taste,I may learn to eat them.

6. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    My Cherrywood is the newer one with the straight handle & the trigger. I know what you mean about not preferring bass. Bass is OK but I'd rather have catfish as long as it's prepared right.

I just went ice fishing for the first time the other day & caught my limit on bluegills. My daughter cooked them up tonight & they were good but not nearly as good as the catfish we were eating when we were in Texas. Most folks around here wouldn't agree with me. They'd say bass & bluegill are the best but they don't know what they're missing.

7. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    A longer rod would help. The majority of the issue is lack of practice. I dont mean to come off sharp:embarassed: But i had that same issue. I adjusted my brake and spool tension knob till i got it to the point, that when i disengaged it would just slowly drop, then i practised every day. It took bout four days to get it down but you will its like bein sixteen with a stick shift all over again:wink:

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Matt, Every time you change from one weight lure to a different weight lure, Change line weight. I mean any change at All.Do just like whisker maniac says or it will backlash. Also learn to let your thumb barely ride on your line when you cast so if you feel something strange happening with your line. You can stop a backlash when it starts. And it will be easyer to get it out.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont use lures on my 6000 and 6500, I use them on my 5000 and 5600 spool with 12lb test line on med action rods. you have to have the right set up to fish a baitcaster with lures.

10. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    With your combo I wouldn't even try using lures less than 1/2 oz. For 1/4oz. you can buy a special baitcasting reel (Elite Light I think is the name) and matching rod from Bass Pro, or use a spinning rod & reel and be a lot happier. P.S., I love my 6500s, but when it comes to tossing lures, there are a lot of better reels out there, and I own a bunch of them.

11. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i use a 5600 abu with 12 lbs test and it works good with crank baits, spinner baits, and worms, but i do not use it for top water baits.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was raised up casting all size Penn Multiplying reels.Many on here do not do well with them.I used Closed and Open Faced Spinning for my freshwater casting for Bream,Shad,Crappie,and Pickerel with excellent control and preciseion.I could just put it where I wanted it without thinking.

I just never bought or took the time to learn to cast a Bait Caster level wind.I saw no need,as my needs as I saw them were filled.Now I could coil and "Chunk"a hand line farther than some could cast.Now that was all I had at that time.

I have never felt the need to do it all with one pole or reel once I got where I could afford more.I would use a Barbie rod or reel if it produced best for me.I think anyone who did not would be foolish.

You have a lifetime to learn.If you can cast another reel that you can afford,I would do so until I learned.I have often said that any reel can be cast.I also say that we are all different.With a Bow or slingshot I would go hungry a lot.DO NOT let it frustrate you.U B a human.You were not built to be a expert in everything in life.If it ain't fun,do something that is!

13. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I think I found out what part of the problem is. The so-called "1/4 ounce practice plug" made by South Bend that I bought isn't really 1/4 ounce. I have a set of postal scales that I weighed it on & it was only 1/10 of an ounce. That's less than half the weight it was labeled as. I've found that anything 1/2 ounce & up works for me but about 1 ounce seems to work best for my set up.

I don't really need to cast lures with my abu anyway. I just thought I might try it because I've been having so much fun casting it while I'm waiting for the ice to melt.:big_smile: