Please help!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Aug 27, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i am a floundering bowhunter. last season was my first and i got a deer, now i'm addicted. i put a little flipper arrow rest on my bow and have messed with it a lot. the dang thing is ripping fletchings off my arrows. i am going to have to get new arrows, but don't want to waste them, and i can't get an arrow to go straight for the life of me! how can i correct this problem???
    thanks for the help guys.

2. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    trade for a whisker biscuit that'll solve your problem. really have you got your fletchings turned to go in between the two prongs. I can't remember but i used to turn the different colored vane or fletching down. I hope it helps.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya do that.. youll never regret gettin one of them

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I had a whisker biscuit (I do like the whisker part of the name) on my Hoyt and it cost me a little speed. Plus I had an issue with it freezing in bad weather. I was told them made a spray for the freezing but I was concerned with odor from any type of added spray. I decided on an NAP fall-away and have been shooting tighter groups than ever. I would suggest you make a trip to an archery pro shop and have your bow tuned with a quality rest. We own that much to the deer that we are trying to take. You can also have your arrows re-fletched at the pro shop. I started fletching my own arrows a few years ago and it was mostly because of the tighter groups. I was tearing the arrows up with the tighter groups.
    Best of luck with the stick slinging. I would rather spend one day in the woods with my bows that a week with my 270 Browning A-bolt.:big_smile:

Best of luck,
    David

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    The whisker biscuit is good , but a fall away rest is better.

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC

As far as the fletchings, you can take your arrows to a archery shop, and get them re fletched. and about your problem with the arrows not going straight, are you shooting with your fingers or with a release? if your shooting fingers, then your prolly rolling your string as you release which will cause the arrow to shoot inconsistantly, and also cause it to kick to the side.
    Hope this helps,
    Mike

7. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    also, how fast is your bow shooting? Ive heard good and bad about the whisker biscuit's, a guy i know swears his whiskerbiscuit is tearing his fletchings off, if you have the $$$, a drop away rest is the way to go.
    Mike

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, the Whisker biscuit is best for hunting IMO. I shot one for a long time and loved it. Switched to a fall away just on a whim and gave the whisker to my son because I think it's also really safe for hunting, don't have to worry about that broadhead somehow hitting his hand since he's still learning. If you shoot alot, the Whisker will wear fletchings out after a while but I think the trade off of being in any position and the arrow not being able to come off the rest is well worth it. Plus I think the newer whiskers have been redesigned to be easier on the flechings than the original ones. You can get arrows refletched at any bowshop for fairly cheap or you can get a fletching jig cheap and do them yourself, it's pretty easy once you done a couple. I may switch back this year.
    Also most bow shops will mount the rest for free if you buy it from them. Then you'll know it's lined up correctly with the center line of your bow and your knock point or string loop is in the correct position.

Good Luck this season
    mike

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would also spin test them! Your inserts might be the culprit!!

10. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bring your bow to a reliable bow shop and have it paper tuned. If You Go with a Whisker biscuit rest,Use Blazer vanes or Bohning fletching only attatched with fletch tite Glue. Swapped from regular fletching to Blazers or bohning fletcing and cant tear the fletchings up with the whisker biscuit. If you can afford it the fall away rest is the best and definately try blazer fletchings.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the help guys! yes i have been shooting with my fingers. there is so much to bowhunting i don't know crap about, so i ask a lot of questions. my bow is nothing fancy, it's a bear whitetail hunter. i know it kills deer though, since i got one last year. i have been shooting the 29 or 30 inch carbon wolverine arrows, with muzzy 100 grain 4 blade broadheads. this year i am switching to muzzy 3 blade 125 grain broadheads. 25 grains heavier seems to add a lot more energy to the target. last year i got my deer at 50 yards, so i am practicing at 30-50 yards. i am also practicing a lot at 10-15 yards. for some reason i have a harder time hitting the target at closer ranges. i don't have a clue why.
    anyhow, i am not sure what a fall away rest is, is that the one with the two progs with the rubber coating on them? i know what the whisker biscuit is, but i am having trouble finding one for carbon arrows. i find a lot for aluminum arrows, but i don't know if you can use the same rest for both kinds of arrows.
    thanks for the help yall.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    if you have a gander mt. or cabelas around they have any kind of rest youd imagine, i got my whisker biscuit from gander mt. last week and only shot it one time since then. but i love it. havnt tore up fletchings yet since ive only had it for a few days, but im gunna get blazers for my arrows since thats what ive heard most good about.

13. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    the flipper rests work best on recurves or long bows they are really designed to be shot with feathers so they collapse on contact.the shoot thrus or fall away rests are far superior and much more accurate,and the fletchings touch nothing when leaving the bow

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Easton has a bow tuning guide and an arrow chart. I would suggest getting both. Make sure you have the right arrows. If you bought them with out cam or wheel type, draw weight, measuring proper length (insert should be 1in in front of the arrow rest at full draw regardless of the type)If you change to a drop away or a shoot through you might want to get a release aid. Those aren't made for finger shooting. I'm not saying you can't. I bought a whisker biscuit for my Hoyt years ago when they first came out. My arrows dropped 6in more @ 20yds than with the shoot through. And I lost speed. I even resighted and retuned my bow. If you want inexpensive then wait till the end of bow season and go to walmart.They will have their archery equipment (if they carry any) on clearance. When you decide on your set up and get it together. Take it to an archery shop. The archery shop can make sure your bow is in tune and your cams are timed properly. Then ask them if they have a butcher paper set up. You shoot through the paper 5-10ft away and look at how it rips the paper. A properly tuned bow will leave a bullet hole and if its off you will see it. Once you get it right its hard to put it down.

15. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

YOU DO NOT WANT A W/BISQUIT THEY FREEZE AND ARE NOISEY, DROP AWAYS ARE 1 MORE THING TO GO WRONG AND A PAIN TO TUNE. I AM A 22+ YEAR EXP. ARCHER (26YRS OLD) AND HAVE TRIED EVERY GIMMIC AND GOOD REST ON THE MARKET. BUY A STARHUNTER VERY COST EFFECTIVE AND SIMPLE VERY RELIABLE DESIGN. THE BEST HUNTING REST ON THE MARKET HAS BEEN FOR 20 YEARS.

16. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If you're having problems hitting at 10-15 yards which it sounds like you're shooting from an elevated stand, try bending your upper body at the waste and you should be able to hit what you are shooting at. If you aren,t able to do that,Get a pendulum sight it will compensate for yardage and elevation (out to 35-40 yrds)without having to bend at the waste.Had a pendulum for years and loved it but now I just bend at the waste when shooting at steep angles. Don't use it much anymore due to the fact that hurricane Katrina blew all of my trees down, so now I hunt out of ground blinds. One more good tip, learn to shoot in a sitting position and all kinds of awkward sitting positions. Over the years my sucess rate on harvesting animals with bow and arrow have increased since using this technique. Less movement = more shot opportunities. Good Luck this season!!!!

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I had an archery shop put a fall away on my bow a few years ago. IMO it was the best thing I've ever bought for a bow. At the same time, I've never tried to many others.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, i don't have many trees here, so most of my hunting is spot and stalk. i love the challenge of sneaking up on game, whether with a rifle, handgun, or bow. i got the rest with the two prongs on it. i was shooting a 10 inch group at 25 yards the other day consistently, then the rest fell apart. a buddy is coming over to help me out with it. honestly i am glad it happened during practice instead of while hunting! he says i probaly didn't have both collar screws tightened down, and he can fix it. after that i am going to center it again and get back to where i was the other day. i am still shooting with my fingers, and have not had a problem with accuracy, just blisters! as far as i can tell it all starts where you pull back the bowstring, you have to hold it the same all the way back, to avoid rolling the string. one more week and i can go try for another deer, wohoo!:big_smile:

19. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    also when you release just relax your fingers and let the string escape ,its much smoother than just letting go when your ready.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i figured out how to adjust the rest. i also messed with the sight and got her sighted in. i have a tru glo fiber optic sight, with a little l.e.d. in it for low light. when my buddy came over, he brought his bow, a pse predator. makes my bow look like, well... anyhow he shoots with a release and let me try it. i was pretty impressed. shooting with my fingers i can hit a 10 inch circle repeatedly at 25 yards. all over the plate, but i still hit it. with the release, i shot a much tighter group. today shooting at 20 yards i was shooting groups of 3 arrows. on the second shot of about the 10th group, i shot the fletching off one of the arrows, so i will have to refletch the arrow. it was luck, of course, but now i shoot only one arrow at a time. last year i got 30 carbon wolverines for .80 to $1.00 apiece, and i am down to 5 arrows. i have redone all my arrows with white vanes, the 5 inch allens. they are what i can afford right now. i chose white because it is the most visible color to me. i haven't had any problems with their flight at all. getting the old fletching off is a pain, but oh well!
    i wanted to thank all yall who helped me out in this with your advice. a few weeks ago i was ready to wrap my bow around a tree, but now i am where i need to be. i will keep practicing for a couple hours every day, and hopefully can get another deer this year!