Please help

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big cat, Jul 29, 2007.

1. big cat

big cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    does anyone fish the rivers damn below coralville lake if so whats the best bait to use and on bottom or drift whith a bobber should i fish right by the damn or down stream more

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't fished below the dam in years so I may not be the best source.
    Shad is always good bait. If you're fishing for flatheads, live shad, bluegill or carp would work nicely. Otherwise, take your castnet and get a little bucketfull of the little hook size shad. I put about 4-5 of them on an 8-0 or 9-0 circle hook by hooking them right through the eyes. As to where to fish, I reckon you'll just have to experiment. I think it could be tough to do a controlled drift in current as swift as occurs below the tube, but I reckon it's possible.

There are lots of big fish there and, like anywhere fish live, if you hit it at the right time, you can catch lots.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think a lot will depend on water flow and what you are going after. Weight and bait go hand in hand. Most of places we visit they are letting out huge amounts of water why I dont know. Never hurts to fish off bottom if you can keep out of tangles but that goes with the territory. Leeches are my favorite. Good Luck to you!!

4. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    Go down stream more, go down to the trees on the east side.

5. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I remember correct below the damn down river there is a pool or bend in the river off a sandbar, I would go just below that, (I think it is on a sandbar/shallow water) Shad used to come in there by the millions. Down river from there used to be a pretty good hole of water, cats travel up into the pool to chase the shad, catch them on their way to dinner. When the water went over the damn back in '93 they found big flat heads stuck to the trees where they had been forced down river. Anyway, the bait there used to be cut shad or chicken liver. been a few years since I have fished that area, but seen some big ones come out of there in the late 90's.

6. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i fish below coralville dam alot. the best tactic is drict nightcrawlers below a weighted float3ft -4 ft from hook, since you are floating use a circle hook due to alot of extra line that you will have flaoting in the water, i also floats shad so taking a bait casting net is a must when u fish coralville dam here are some pictures of my recent trip 8/20/07

Attached Files: