Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I truly need some help from you guys. My fiancé and I went up to Conowingo today and let’s just say it was a disaster. I was constantly getting snagged and could not seem to get the hang of it. Please any help would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am far from an expert but I have fished the dam. I usually put my sinker on a loop of mono then use a paperclip ro attach it to my slide. When you get hung usually you will only lose your lead. Place is notorious for snags. Sometimes I just leave my rig out. If a blue hits it Sometimes they will unsnag it themselves. Beware of the Vultures and your car. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We
I am far from an expert but I have fished the dam. I usually put my sinker on a loop of mono then use a paperclip ro attach it to my slide. When you get hung usually you will only lose your lead. Place is notorious for snags. Sometimes I just leave my rig out. If a blue hits it Sometimes they will unsnag it themselves. Beware of the Vultures and your car. Good Luck.
Can you explain the use of the paper clip some more pleas. Thank you though! What about the vultures I was so confused about that sign

·
Registered
9 Posts
The vultures are protected and like to eat the rubber moulding off cars. When I fish the dam I use a surf fishing set up. 12 ft spinning rod 20 pound mono with a 50 pound shock leader. You need to get your bait out 60 plus yards. I use 4,6,and 8 oz bank sinkers depending on the number of gates open.Take a short piece of heavy mono and make a loop for the lead to hang on. Attach your paper clip to the line holding the sinker. Now take the paper clip and attach it to the weight slide on your line. When you get hung up and pull the paper clip straightens out and comes off your swivel. This way you keep your hook. If you are fishing the dam expect to lose alot of lead. Everyone does. You can run three rods so you should always have two working. For me it's worth the aggravation of losing rigs. This spot has walleyes...smallmouth bass...snakeheads...blues and flatheads. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vultures are protected and like to eat the rubber moulding off cars. When I fish the dam I use a surf fishing set up. 12 ft spinning rod 20 pound mono with a 50 pound shock leader. You need to get your bait out 60 plus yards. I use 4,6,and 8 oz bank sinkers depending on the number of gates open.Take a short piece of heavy mono and make a loop for the lead to hang on. Attach your paper clip to the line holding the sinker. Now take the paper clip and attach it to the weight slide on your line. When you get hung up and pull the paper clip straightens out and comes off your swivel. This way you keep your hook. If you are fishing the dam expect to lose alot of lead. Everyone does. You can run three rods so you should always have two working. For me it's worth the aggravation of losing rigs. This spot has walleyes...smallmouth bass...snakeheads...blues and flatheads. Good luck.
Is the 60 yards to prevent the main snags

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the 60 yards to prevent the main snags
Look to the other side of the river. See all those rocks? That is what is all across the bottom.
If the weight goes to the bottom, most likely it will get snagged.

Many use an in line weight tied to the main braided line, then a mono leader 18"- 24" +/- to a plastic lure. A baitfish is some type like a grub, fluke, etc.

Cast way out and experience with the days conditions (dam running water, lenght of cast, weight od sinker, etc.) you will get the hang of how long to let it sink as you are reeling in as the rig is swept down current.

Braid main line will be less resistance against the current therefore not being swept as fast as the same lb test if it were mono or flouro.
Braid will also let you feel the sinker ticking the tops of the rocks WAY BETTER than other types of lines already mentioned.
Also, you will feel a fish hit better, have less bow in the line and be able to put pressure on the fish faster.
Yes, circle hooks will set themselves while J hooks will need to be set by the angler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts