Please help on trapping Carp Minnows??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Missouricathunter25, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    I was wondering what is the best bait to trap Carp Minnows?? Also does any1 know if there is creek chubs around the kc area creeks? Can't seem to find none around my creeks north of kc area airport? Thanks and happy fishing.

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I catch all kinds of fish in my traps I use for crawfish in creeks baiting with dog food. I've caught several of what I think are carp minnows, a lot of small bullheads, some bream, a couple of jackfish, and a couple of species that I have no idea what they are. I tried using those little fish I think are carp as cut bait, but they didn't work too well, but some of those fish that I don't know what they are seem to work well.

I have learned this trick though, at least for crawfish: don't just pour dogfood in the trap, use a bait holder to suspend it in the middle of the trap. If you just pour the dog food in it will float to the top, and crawfish (and probably fish too) can just eat it through the trap. After thinking about this and having mediocre catches that actually went up slightly once the food got old and sank to the bottom, I made some bait holders out of screen mesh. My catch went up about 5 times, and I caught a lot more fish too.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Carp are like squirrels, YOU NEVER SEE/CATCH small ones.

I have spent many countless hours trying to catch a carp small enough to use, but have failed.