Please help me!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by coyotechromez, Apr 30, 2009.

1. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I have recently just picked up fishing again after a 8 year break, the last two years I have been out every day possible. I love to catch all species of fish it is an awesome sport. The bad thing is, I have never got to battle with anything more than a five pound bass, and a four pound Flatty caught at Levenworth State Lake from the bank. I am a bank fisherman and would like some tips on big cats, any advise???????

Thanks,
    Wylie

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    welcome to the BOC, where are you at in kansas

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Only tip I can give is dont follow me your doing better than I am.I can put my daughter on fish though.:smile2:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Wylie.

5. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    WELCOME TO THE BOC, THERE ARE LOTS OF FISHERMEN HERE THE CAN TELL YOU WHERE AND HOW YOUR IN THE RIGHT PLACE:roll_eyes:

6. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    sorry it took me so long to reply went fishing a little pond tonight with my wife. I am located in Topeka. Most of my fishing is at the perry spillway using live goldfish. Went to milford for the first time 3 weeks ago, took the day off and had no luck, but it was still cold. Fished down at the low water wier in north topeka alot last year, hooked in to one I guessed by the size of it at the top of the water to be around 30 lbs. Got so excited I started horsing it in and broke 25 lbs test.

Thanks for the welcome gents
    Wylie

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Welcome to the BOC! Sounds like your fishing in the right place.

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to fish the river right there in Leavenworth. I have caught some nice blues, at Riverfront park, and the park there right in town. Find a place to catch you some small perch. I had an incident with 2 I guess they were game wardens there. I dont eat the fish out of there, because of the pollution, but I would go down there for something to do. However some people do eat the fish. There was an older feller who came down there and checked a line he was running right above where I was fishing. He left, and about 20 minutes later I caught about a 15 lb blue. I found some very stiff wire, and made a loop in his line and put the first fish on no problem. About 30 minutes later I caught another one about the same size, again I did the same thing, however the 2nd time, I saw this boat coming down the river, 2 guys were in it and I could tell they were game wardens, they checked my license, and told me "I" needed to tag my line, I tried to explain to them, "I" dont run lines only fish with Rod and Reel only, that I was giving those fish to the older fellow who came down there. I think I finally convinced them....

I imagine anywhere along the river there would be good fishing. Fish the wing dykes if possible, also at River Front there is a small stream that enters, when the water is running it is pretty good fishing there also.

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    There are two state fishing lakes within easy drive of Topeka that you
    might want to try. South on Hwy 75 is Osage SFL, it is well known for
    large channel cats. North of Topeka is Shawnee SFL which has been
    partly drained to repair the weakened dam. It is still open to fishing and
    naturally, the fish are a little crowded together. Do you fish Topeka's
    Lake Shawnee? It's an urban lake on E29th St. which I used to fish
    years ago when I lived in Topeka. As for tips on rigging, bait and tackle,
    try looking through the Article Library on this site. I have found it
    enlightening on several topics. Good luck!

10. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I have only been to Osage SFL one time, it was last year and windy. Shawnee SFL I have had some luck at, when I camp it is usually there. Shawnee Lake I have never really had any luck at, are there any flatties in there?

Thanks,
    Wylie

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My late father-in-law lived in the Topeka area all his life, I have never fished the Shawnee lake, but he said they use to catch large flats out of there, he use to go down there and catch a lot of channel, but that was about all he would fish for.

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'd be happy to take you out and try to put you on a pig, the MO up your way holdss monsters.

13. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC :0a25:​