please help me with my mower problem

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by lookinfurabiggun, Sep 19, 2005.

1. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi guys, I have a repair question that I just cant figure out. I have a self propelled push mower that just wont start. It is acting like it is out of time, but it is not. I have replaced the pin twice, and it still wont pull. When I pull the rope it turns once, then stops, somtimes even violently yanks back, which causes plenty of knuckle bruises. If i pull the string really slow it will come all the way back like it should but It wont start that way due to lack of speed pulling it back. Can anybody help me please!! Zach Butkauskas

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Zach the timing is off! It's firing on the piston up stroke.I've been working on heavy equpment and it's been 25 years sence I worked on lawn mowers and I've been retired disabled for almost 5 years so I'm having to think hard about this.There is 2 or 3 things that will make a motor fire out of time.Have you pulled the flywheel??There is an aluminum half moon key that locks the flywheel in time with the drive shaft and if the mower blade hits something hard,ie.brick,rock,limb,ect this key will shear off to stop the motor.All you have to do is pull the flywheel clear out the broken half moon key and replace it.If the pickups under the flywheel have moved it will throw off the timing or the govener could be stucking.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Zach, sounds to me it is a timming problem. may be wrong but check it one more time.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Badkarma,

Your post explains what probably happen to my mower. I hit a rock, killed the mower and now it fails to start even with starter fluid. I'll check the flywheel pin.
    Funny, I have another mower that I recently hit a stump so hard that it killed the mower and bent the blade, bad... required a new blade but the mower ran fine. On the mower that hit the rock it only dented the blade.

Thanks

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    that could be due to how the blade is attached.
    if its got a keeper type blade fixture it would more than likely shear your flywheel key.

if the blade is just tightened against the shaft with nothing more than a bolt and lockwasher it probably spun enough to goof the blade up but not the flywheel key?

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good point and I agree but both mowers are Sears and they use a keeper.

Zach, hope you got your mower going.