Please help me guys

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigOleW9, Jun 25, 2006.

1. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    BOC, there is this little little pond that has channel cats 10 pounds and better in it. Earlier in the year I fished it anc caught large ones every single time and really fast. I know there are still big ones in there because the owner can see them swimming around on really sunny days. They all were caught on liver. The last ten times I have been there I haven't caught anything. I've used every big channel cat bait imaginable, but they won't hit. What should I do? Oh yeah, there are lots of turtles. Thanks

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    They are probally spawning right now so i would just give it time and use fresh bluegills.

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had the same problem when i was a kid my buddy had a small pond in his back yard with some really big cats in it we threw every thing at em the only thing we found that worked was bluegill heads stuffed with beejays trust me when we were kids we had nothing but time on our hands we threw everything at em that was the only thing we found that would work and we caught bigger fish than we ever imagined i wish i had pics of those good old days lol

4. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    try cheese the stinky kind

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't give up. If there are big fish in a small pond eventually they are gonna bite. Spawning is probably messing you up right now.

6. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    try fresh bait something thats in the pond now

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Were any that you caught in the frenzie you speak of in the "SMALL" pond put back in order to keep it a honey hole?

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bull frogs and no Im not kidding.

9. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys. I did take pictures and put them back in.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Cut bluegill and small live ones worked for me when chicken liver played out.Another thing you can do in a pond is throw floating catfish food out let them come up and start eatin it use a bobber put your bait about a foot below the bobber.Throw it past the feeding fish and slowly reel it back toward them.Sometimes that works.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    If there are bluegill in the pond, catch a small one and place it on your hook 1 to 3 feet below a float, cast it to different places and just let it swim and drift around, for say, 15 to 30 minutes in each place you cast it.

12. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with the spawning messing you up right now, but if these cats are fed by the owner, I can give you some advice that may work. I have a friend that has a similar size pond. He feeds these fish daily, and there are thousands in this small pond. Last time I was there, my dad and I caught a 20 lb. and 13 lb. blue, respectively. We did release them, even though my friend wanted us to keep some of the bigger ones due to them eating all of the other smaller fish out of the pond. Our bait, you ask? None other than regular ole' hotdog weiners right out of the pack! He doesn't feed them hotdogs, but they sure do latch onto them! Heck, give it a try......can't hurt!

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im pretty sure that the spawn is messing with alot of us right now.