Please Help! Line Choice!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by smoothkip25, Jul 18, 2009.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive been so mad here lately. Ive lost at least 3 huge fish this year due to line choice. I lost one last week in open water on 40 lb. mono. I recently put 80lb. Braid on my reels and the other night lost 2 good fish in the rocks. What do i do? I run 7000 reels and have the capacity to run bigger line. Should i just go up to 50 or 60 lb. mono or go to a stronger braid. I usually fish in alot of rocks or heavy timber. Ive been sick since i lost that big one and dont ever want it to happen again!

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    id run 50 lb plus mono in berkley big game solor line works well for me

3. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    That a realy good line. I run that my self.

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    mono is better then braid in the rocks. it has alot me abrasion resitance. Do you run a leader? if so what kind of line are you using for it?

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    kip I use 25-lb test mono and have never had a fish break my line.

But I also fight them with a lose drag, and I never try to horse them in.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run a leader. Usually same lb. as main line or bigger. Where I fish Jack I have to have that drag tightened down or ill lose every fish in the cover. That fish I hooked was about 20 yards down stream of a log jam. about 2 feet from the bank. When he took off he was headed upstream, I couldnt turn him, Biggest fish ive ever hooked into. Right when i though i had him started to turn he shook that head one more time and snapped my line.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kip, mono is better than braid in rock and heavy timber in my opinion. Alittle stretch that mono often gives ain't bad either! It gives ya some room to work!:wink: I have been running Big Game 30 and 40 pound mono for years now on the rivers with great sucess. I have also been trying some new monos this year as well. Cabelas brand 30lb. and Cajun Red 40lb. Cabelas has more stretch in the 30 than big game. But, it has landed a few of 30 plus pound flats, and my buddys 46lb flat with no problem! Good line for the money in my opinion for fishing short distances such from a boat. Don't think I would like it on the lakes at longer casting distances. Thats where I prefer braid such as Power Pro 65lb. Bottom-line is, you are gonna lose fish, break off etc. when fishing heavy cover! It happens! Make sure the gear, is set for the area you are targeting, and you will be fine! If you lose a fish on mono, you will always think braid, if braid, then mono! But, it comes more down to knowing the area, and whats there to prepare ya when the big one bites! Keep using the mono around the structure, you will be better off in the long run! rollo

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Jason! Im always second guessing myself. I thought of going to that 100lb mason line that luckywade uses. I like overkill i guess. I know Jack catches big fish on 25 and i know its possible but the areas I fish is usually rough and nasty. I have just had some chances at some big fish this year and have struck out. Ive hooked into more big fish this year than alot of guys do in a lifetime. Now if i can just seal the deal! LOL!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    MY opinion has always been... Use what casts good, and good for the area likesaid... 100 pound line dont cast! Now, boat fishing... You don't cast far. BUT! I have seen big fish go into structure with heavy line and wrap around, to bend the hook enough, or to tear their jaw to free themself! Guess, my deal is... I have probably lost bigger fish than I have caught on the river.... I have lost some dandies fishing heavy structure! But, if I wanted to use trotline for line, why don't I just trotline? Nothing towards anyone like Randy for using what he does. Thats his personal preference, and what he likes! . But... let me say.....Every line has its advantages, and disadvantages.. I bet if ya take a survey on lines used including Mason, others such as Dacron.. Most like a small diameter, for cast ability.. And alot like mono for the stretch!:wink: Not them larger diameter lines .....rollo

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kip, here's the type of structure i fish for flats in. This one isn't quite as bad as most but i have to keep a tight drag to keep them out once hooked. I use 25 lb big game and don't have a problem unless they get into the timber then it's bail in and drag em out with your hands. A good stout rod is a must just as good line line is IMO. i use 10' and 12' rods here because it gives you more control over the fish!!

Attached Files:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wheres the picture

12. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    What kind of knots are you using? Your problem might be your connections. I saw a guy last night loose a real beast when it broke his 50lb line in open water. With good connections 50lb line will turn almost any flathead without any large amount of line being taken buy the fish. Also for rocks stick with mono and change out leaders often. Think of it like every fish will be the next world record, and prepare accordingly. A good way to check your whole system would be to rig up as you have recentely. Cut the point of the hook off, attach it to 40lbs of weights and slowly start to lift(no rod just line only). If you can suspend 40lbs worth of weights from 40lb line thats about perfect. If you can't get 35 off the ground time to change some knots. You could also do this with a scale. Hope this helps. At least your sticking em good I lost one of the largest fish I have ever had last night when the hook just came out--I think the bait was too large for just one hook! A 10 lb sheepshead head.

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Back off buddy, i edited the post and got the pic on there!!! :smile2::smile2:

14. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 30# Big Game and haven't lost one to breakage yet. The first 5 seconds are crucial in getting him turned and away from the jams though. I fish 7000's also and drag setting is very important. Hate to hear about losing big ones, just have to keep trying till you find what works for you. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wish I could help ya Kip, must have been some dandy fish you lost...I did switch over to long rods 12 feet, because I felt I could control the fish better.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure what to tell you, I guess I'll have to go with you & see if we cant figure it out.:wink: All jokes aside I use 40 lbs big game & I dont seem to have any trouble with it now. I had some trouble with 30 lbs of another brand that I have used & loved for years, I dont know if I got a bad batch or what.

17. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Take a 50 lb power pro and get a 40 or 45 lb mono for a leader an dget a big barrel swivle and adjust your drag:wink::0a26:

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    50 lb plus mono in berkley big game is a good possibility when fishing in the area's you described

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Kip just go with me and youll never miss one:smile2:

20. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    My best luck has been with P-Line CXX 40 lb. it's really tough line but costs more than Big Game and it does have some memory to it. I started tying my own leaders with Ande 80 lb mono and that stuff really holds up well for me. I get a 120 yd spool from Catfish Connection and can tie leaders for years as long as I keep it in a cool and dry place. I found I really started pulling in alot of snags instead of breaking off. But when I do break off I do lose alot of tackle hooks, sinkers and barrel swivels. My barrel swivels are Roscoe made in the USA also from Cat Connection in the 150 lb weight,because I have lost fish to cheaper made swivels.
    I hope this helps you but sounds like alot of good advice on here too.
    Oh yeah I did buy some 100 lb Vicious Braid for $10.00 on a promo deal and am using it now, it casts pretty good even with 1.5 oz of weight and that stuff is strong as hell, just couldn't pass it up at that price but I really like it so far but will buy 65# in the future just for more reel capacity.