Please Help, Frozen Fish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mudpuppy, Feb 2, 2006.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dident know where to make this post, but since the bait in ? ia a great Blue Cat Bait i thought i would make it here, There is a big market for frozen Shad Guts and Shad Sides for fish bait, I thank the bigest market is in Oklahoma and Kansas, If anyone has any info on this Marked please reply, Thank You and Have a good day.
    C Hook

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    There may be a limited market for this type of bait, however I think you will find most guys that take there fishing very seriously, and try for the really big ones wont use frozen bait. I wont even use frozen if its all I had. It might be handy for some folks though to be able to buy some frozen shad for a day at the lake if you will. I noticed that BassPro Shops in St. Louis is now selling different forms of shad whether it be salted, frozen, embalmed, petrified, etc etc. The shad family of fishes is not considered a game fish, so I dont think you would run into much problem selling them. Now, if you think can raise and sell LIVE SHAD, you might be onto something. Good Luck

3. skwerl

skwerl New Member

State:
    sc
    Mudpuppy, I don't really understand what you want to know. Do you plan on selling shad and want to know where the biggest demand for them are? Or are you wondering where the best place to obtain them?

4. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Skwerl i was talking about selling the guts frozen in pint jars, there is 12 pints in a case, and the sides off the shad is frozen the same was, I have sold whole frozen Skip Jacks for years and was thanking about selling shad guts and shad sides to if i can find a market that will buy enough at one time to make it worth my wild,

Jetdriver i ust to sell live shad to a Striper guide on lake Cumberland, but that is a completly diferent can of worms {LOL} thanks for the replies

C Hook

5. skwerl

skwerl New Member

State:
    sc
    Good luck in your venture! I know some people swear by using the guts for striper. I have two suggestions.
    First, do your customers a favor and get your shad on ice as quickly as possible, it really helps them stay firm when they are thawed out. Shad that sit around in the heat for a while turn to mush when they thaw and are basically unuseable.
    Secondly, is there a reason you can't use pint plastic baggies? They would save you money on shipping, don't explode when dropped, and thaw out much easier.

I would do a search for lakeside resorts/campgrounds around the Santee area, and try and contact them by phone or email. I know I've come up with an empty net more than once and several of these places don't sell frozen shad.
    I'm not sure if you're allowed to post how much you're wanting to sell them for on here, but I'm sure some people are curious. I know I am.

6. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Skwerl i don't mean to be advertising, im just trying to get infermation on the frozen bait market, i know there is a good market somewhers because there is ppl here that sell thousands of cases of both guts and sides every year.
    C Hook

7. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well let me put it this way. Like JetDriver said, where we come from, using frozen bait is a sin. Them big Blues we are after would turn their nose up at it. Trust me, I've tried. If you are trying to really market this, you are also in trouble. Go to any body of water that attracts alot of tourists, weekenders, or lazy ( don't wanna stink) banker types, and you will see that you have already been beat to the punch. I really don't mean to sound negative but I think you have a better chance at catchin live bait, baitin up, catchin a bruiser, photograph and release him, having a replica made, and puttin it on EBAY.

Just my opinion.

8. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reply Blue, Im from Weatern Ky. and i have made a living catching and selling Catfish for 26 years, and i am 56 years old and have sold Shad Guts,Shad Sides and frozen Skip Jacks [Heron] since 1966,all im trying to do is get a better market for the Bait that i am able to produce, Have a good day
    C Hook

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    here in tn is a good market for it mudpuppy i freeze my own and never had problems catchin big ole blues

10. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a demand for shad guts and sides with bait shops in my area,alot of catfisherman use the shad guts to fish for channel cats in the winter and the sides they let sour and use it also. Send me a private message and I will see if I can get ya some sales in this area as the pint jars get kinda hard to find at times. Are you gettin big shad in your nets as the best bait comes from big shad and guts need to be be big also. Give me a shout as I was thinkin on lookin for a supplier on some bait also for this area.Willy

11. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good Morning Wille and thank you for your repily, I put the guts and sides up in glass pint jars an and the skip jacks i rap in searan rap and freese them whole unless some one wonts them frozen diferent, i dont scale the sides unless you wont them that way, the slime on the sides has a smell that the fish like, i will be glad to answer any ?'s, thank you
    C Hook

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    im in ohio but but the Gander Mountain here in Dayton sells shad guts.if you have a Gander Mountain close you might want to check there

13. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Steve i live withen 20 miles of a Gander Mounten store i will check on that, thanks for the reply.
    C Hook

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    When I had the store, our wholesale bait distributor carried the guts and cut shad frozen in half pint jars. There is definately a good market for it. We sold a lot of it.

My son would catch skipjacks during the winter and we would bag them with a vaccum sealer and sell cut skipjack throughout the rest of the year when they were hard to catch. We would pack about a pound in a package and sell for $4.99 and we sold the fire out of it. A vaccum sealer is the only way to go with the skipjacks. It keeps them from getting mushy.

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    your welcome mudpuppy.anything i can do to help

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    man gander mountain is a good store but they are on my badside currently for raising all prices 20 to 30 bucks for the holidays

17. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Grumpy, I never put the Skip Jacks up in vacum sealed bags before, i just wrap them in searan rap, all the ppl i deal with says they like that just fine, I sell 3 to 5 21 ft. freezers full of them every summer, oh by the way a 21ft. freezer will hold a bunch of them, {LOL} if you don't mind Grumpy wheat you from?

Have a good day

C Hook

18. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Just outside of Clarksville. About 7 miles from Cumberland City.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mudpuppy, I think I had misunderstood your question earlier in the thread. Best of luck with this endeavor. Sounds like there is indeed a market for your bait. I hope it works out for you. Have a great Season.

20. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We mostly get our own bait daily with a thrownet, but we freeze up what we don't use for leaner times. If we can keep it cool, it doesn't get mushy and we've caught a lot of kittys on it. Like any other bait, it's probly better fresh, but I'd use a picture of bait before I'd not fish!!! LOL