Please help: baitcasting lure question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by veryama1975, Mar 6, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I'm pretty new to baitcasting. I just got my abu 6000 about a month or two ago. I've gotten pretty good with it while using 20lb mono & a 1 ounce sinker. I still get a few backlashes but not very often.

However, I've recently been thinking that I might like to try using my abu for lures as well as just using it for regular catfishing. I bought a 1/4 ounce practice plug & took it out to try it. I had the worst backlash I've ever had. I did adjust the cast control but it didn't seem to do any good. I then tried to use 12lb line in hopes that the lighter line might make the difference with the light practice plug so that I wouldn't get the backlash. It didn't do any good.

My question is: Is a 1/4 ounce lure or practice plug just too light for an abu 6000 regardless of what size line I use with it? If I want to use my baitcaster for artificials am I just going to have to only use much heavier lures?

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a abu 6000 and I have 15 lb big game on it with a 1 ounce sinker and I have tried to do the same thing by trying to cast a scum frog, I do not know what it weight it is I would guess 1/4 ounce and all I had to do was tight in the cast control up and it worked for me. It just takes time.

3. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    No guys, you line weight does affect the you cast but more than that you have to adjust your spool spin. What is happeing is with the lighter weigt on your line 1/4 oz isn't enough weight to pull the line out as fast as the spool is spinning so you have to tighten up your spool spin so that the lure and line are equally balanced. My method is to adjust the spool spin so the weight is just heavy enough to just barely begin to fall when you hit your release. Your adjustment (just in case you don't know) is the knob beside the drag wheel on the side of you chassis. Anytime you change weights you will need to adjust your spool spin by either tightening up or loosening up. I hope this helps.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James has just solved your problem with this answer. Any time you change lure weights, either lead or plugs, you need to thank adjustment. Give this answer some practice and you will become efficient casting lighter weights with your present fishing line.