Please Help - 1999 Johnson 40

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SCcatman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently purchased a 1999 Lowe 165 w/ a 1999 Johnson 40 HP electric start. I took the boat to a local lake and fired it up, it ran fine, got to my fishing hole and fished a bit, wanted to changed locations (20 minutes later) and the engine would not start. It turned over fine but not crank. I trolled back to the landing and went home, hooked it to the hose and tried a few thing still no crank. I have never had a motor like this with all these features and have no idea what I'm doing. I do re call the kill switch coming off out on the Lake but I put it right back on. I made sure the was pressure in the bulb, etc.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Kill switches go bad, power packs go bad, and so do many other things.

To test if the kill switch is messed up, take off the hood, find the black line with the yellow stripe, and disconnect it.

If it starts, then the kill switch is bad. If it starts, you won't be able to shut it off, unless you reconnect the line.

3. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Bob, I'll try that.

Would the lanyard coming off make the kill switch go bad?

If it cranks after I disconnect the kill switch wire, your saying in order to shut the engine back off just re-connect the kill switch wire? just making sure I'm clear on that.

Thanks again.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yes, with it disconnected, there's no way to ground the power pack.

5. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went home on my lunch break and took a look at it. It turned over 5 times and fired right up. I think I may have flooded it yesterday on the water as the spark plugs were wet looking, I failed to mention that in my original posting. I took them out and cleaned them and let it sit overnight and now it fires. What can I do in the future as to not flood it again?

Another issue I was going to save until I got it running again is, at home when I hook the muffs to it and let it run it idles perfect, no sputter or anything. But when In the water it will idle and sometimes shut off, it fires right back up but its like it wants to sputter off, I am able to push the choke in for a second and it smooths back out, or give it a little throttle so the carbs are open a bit and it runs like a top. Why will it run perfect on the hose but idle bad in the water? Does the back pressure of water affect the idle? I guess the hose pipe doesn't put any back pressure on it? Could it just be a rpm issue when back pressure is applied? Would increasing the RPM's fix it? any help is appreciated.

Thanks