*Please do'nt touch the water* Another industry killing our waters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by nosnag, Dec 26, 2005.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm sure you all know where Lake Okeechobee is in Fl. The sugar industry will soon be able to boast of its end by making it an open sewer.These articles are in the current issue of Florida Sportsman magazine.It is another red letter day for us as protectors of the enviroment for our decendents brought on by politics.Somewhere,somehow this rape of our resourses has to stop.If you can stomach it,go to :Riverscoalition.org ,and learn of this disaster to all who once dreamed of wetting a line in these waters.First off I will post the article in the Naples News for you:

Editorial: Gulf pollution
    http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/pe_editorals/article/0,2071,NPDN_14961_4341071,00.html

You might need to register to view the article registration is free

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck, I have beat my brains out trying to voice about my lake which is one of the few lakes in my area that is not yet polluted in some way. Now they are taking way too much water from the lake and not using it, from my understanding.. They just buy up water rights and let it flow. What they dont use, it goes to the river. We had an issuer a few years back about marina's dumping sewage in the lake. They say they stopped it and are going to issuer fines but I'm not sure about that. I dont have anymore inf. on that, just my eyes. LOL.
    It blows my mind how people can voice concerns on issuers such as this and the opposite is done while other things, such as God etc., can be taken away so easily. I hear a lot on stuff like that but not on issuers such as water until its too late.

Hopefully things will work out for the best.

3. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sadly our loss of water quality and natural resources does'nt seem to come to the attention of the public until the damage is done.It is always too much to repair than to remedy before the damage has been done.I myself have seen just too much of these things happen in my lifetime.It has always seemed to me that the so called primative people like the Native Americans,the Aborigines of Australia and Africa,and the Indians of the rainforests are the only people that believe in using what you need and leaving the rest for the future.Too bad we ca'nt seem to learn from them and honor the earth as they do.What cost will ever justify what is called progress?
    BILL

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Bill,since you took the time to post this,I took the time to read some of the links.From what I could gather,the water is stockpiled every year,then dumped when the rainy season arrives.I didn't see where the pollution part comes in.Is it added along the way from downstream communities?Is it sewage,or just large amounts of fertilizer/nutriants being dumped into the Gulf?
    Side note,will be headed down to Naples on the 1st of Jan. to spend the month,I try to get out fishing most every day,mainly lake trafford or surf fishing at Lovers Key.

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Well Jon, The problem is that the lake is kept too high because the cane industry that has control of the damming wants to be sure that during dry spells it will have water to irrigate the fields.Meanwhile during the rainy season the phosphorus level from washing out of the area goes sky high.If they do'nt use the water they flush out around 500 billion gallons of water into the river systems.When they do use the water for irrigation they compound the problem by adding even more phosphorus to their crops to make up for what was diluted by irrigation.A vicious circle.The alge bloom is such that then alive and dying material causes a pollution problem.Oxygen is depleted and that compounds the problem by killing off other types of life, both vertibrate and invertibrate species. The industries own investigations show that even without irrigation ,the crops have never experianced any losses .That is another thorn in the side about it.Sanibel City Councel Is also concerned because the same fate is happening to the Caloosahatchee River and extending into the salt water killing off life at the mouth and into the estuaries.Blue-green alge is a danger to all wildlife but it can be controlled by cutting back on the fertilizers used that lets it bloom out of control.It seems that the problem of clean up is being left to the counties and not the source of the problem.
    BILL

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I just got through reading those articles tonight in the Florida Sportsman which by the way I consider the finest magazine of its kind in the Eastern US.Takes a while to get up here.One of the articles states that the State biologist feel the 2005 year class of crappie and bass have been lost which happened because the lake is so high.It is so high because of a number of factors not the least of which is the recent hurricanes and the attendant rain fall.The magazine calls for action and when those coastal communities start having their bays and estuaries ruined I'm sure combat will be joined.BIG SUGAR is a powerful foe but NEVER underestimate the power of the people.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Wow,starting to get too deep for my walnut sized cranium.

I do have a few comments.The sugar industry is large and powerful because we consume the most sugar per capita in the world!!Talk about a vicious circle :D Reminds me of the cell phone commercial where the executive has a new cell rate plan and says he is"sticking it to the man"the subordinate replies"But sir,you are the man"

Its easy to dismiss the enviromentalists as tree huggers and peta lovers,but Fl. does have its issues.With a 1000 retirees a month moving down there with a lot of time on their hands,everyone picks their special issue to rally around.(This isn't directed to you,nosnag)The problem is,a lot of the problems are caused,in part,by all the people trying to correct them.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cook, I get a kick out of that commercial. Its really true for CO. CEO's. The man has done stuck it too everybody else, he has nothing else to do but stick it to himself . Just for entertainment. Look at his desk and office, clean as a whistle.. Talk about an over paid useless job. All that money, bored, nothing to do but stick it to himself. . LMAO.
    Somebody take that man fishing, or to six flags, a night on the town. :D