Please Dont Litter.....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 4, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know this subject has probaly came up alot on here and there's probaly been alot of threads like this.

But while I was fishing last night I just noticed all the trash that was all over the edge of the water out there and all over the rest of the area as well. I mean Beer Bottles, Paper materials of all kinds, fishing line, just about everything. And it's not just that certain spot, and it's not just the area I fish. It is a problem I have noticed almost everywhere I have ever fished. I read an article in "In-Fisherman" magazine a while back talking about how fishing line left around the water, or thrown in the water, etc. can have very bad effects on the fish. The line can get wrapped around the fish and as the fish grows it will litteraly strangle the fish. They had a picture of a Channel Cat that this had happen to.

Also you should not litter for the sake of all other types of wildlife. My aunt is a retired Marine Bioligist. I spent alot of time with her before she retired going out on the air-boats and stuff in florida, helping her a little with some of her projects. Ever since then I have just loved all types of wildlife. That's one reason I really started to love fishing. I love being outside, I love Nature. Ok back to the subject......My aunt really did alot of projects to help birds of all kinds. Some around here, and alot in florida. Well there was alot of birds that
    were having alot of problems due to fishing line getting wrapped up in their feet.

We have to take care of what we have before its too late. I'm sure that everyone on the BOC loves nature. All of us being fisherman, or fisherwoman.
    We all share at least one love, and that is fishing. I'm sure that everyone on the BOC would not want to damage the Enviroment in any way.

Now I know that most people on the BOC probaly wouldnt litter purposely or anything. But this is just something to remember anytime you see some trash laying around or something.....hopefully you will try to pick it up or something.
    I have started taking trash bags with me to my fishing holes and cleaning up alot of the trash I see. Also I take a trash bag to some of my fishing spots and just tie it up to something so hopefully alot of people would put their trash in the bag instead of just leaving it sitting around. So far it has seemed to make a pretty big difference.

Also when there's trash all along the side of the water it kind of makes fisherman look bad to alot of people. Matter of fact, the lake I fish used to have alot more "Shore Acces" and they tried to stop bank fisherman from fishing in alot of places because of all the trash that was being left....mostly beer bottles and stuff. Most fisherman that would leave a bunch of trash and stuff all over the fishing spot is probaly not a "True Fisherman" or at least not a very good one.

And of course there's alot of people that drive down the road and throw something out their windows. That is just terrible, to see all the trash laying all over the side of the roads and stuff. And there's no way that all of that trash is accidental if any at all is accidental.

I'm not trying to preach to everyone or anything. Just trying to get a point across that I feel is very important.

I say again "Let's take care of what we have before it's too late"

Take it easy, Zakk :)

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'd say 85% of the trash i see washed up on the riverbanks are those damn 20oz pop bottles, and another 5% 2litres! id be willing to pay an extra 10 cents a bottle for a deposit if it would make people turn them back in, just like the old days. 10 cents a bottle should cover the cost of re-cycling them. it may still not deter litering but youd have all the junkies and crackheads cleaning up the streets and rivers for free!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah that's also true.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I'm right there with ya Lil'Brother! I hate seeing this kind of stuff go on as much as you. Great post!!!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that hates that kinda stuff.

Zakk :)

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I cant stand littering and the beach is worse than any lake or river i go to. Everytime I go to the beach i take a trash bag and its usually full before i leave. Lotsa people dont think cigarette butts make a big difference, but i picked up over a 5 gallon bucket at beach one day walking my dog in december :mad: .

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah any littering is bad, glad to hear about people trying to help clean up.

Good job! :)

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    A lot of the places where I fish are littered pretty bad. Most of it is pop bottles, beer cans and nightcrawler containers but the thing that pi**es me off the most is when people leave their old hooks and line all over the shoreline. Twice last year me and my buddy found birds that were still alive but couldn't swim or fly because they had fishing line wrapped around both or one of its legs. One was a goose even had an old rusty jighead in its foot. For being pretty much immobile, it sure was thrashing around a lot! We had to sneak up on it and throw a sweatshirt over its head just so we could cut the line off of its leg and remove the jighead! The other bird was a seagull. It wouldn't let us near it to cut the line away from its leg. We went back to the same spot a few weeks later and the same bird was there only the line cut all the way through so it now only has one leg.

The moral of the story is, CLEAN UP YOUR CRAP, PEOPLE!!!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate it also guys, these people have no respect for the outdoors..I have lost access to prime fishing spots on private land thanks to slobs :cursing:

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gotta watch out for those needles the junkies throw in too! i cant tell you how many times ive went scrounging for firewood and come across used needles in the driftwood. luckily i havent been stuck yet.

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I've lost alot of good fishing holes ("on private land") also because of litterbugs! :cursing:
    Good "Honey Holes" (private one ;) ) are hard to find as it is. I end all of my fishing trips by cleaning up trash in about 20 yards around me, if everyone do that, that will take care of alot of trash & give us more places to fish.

(Think about it :rolleyes: )

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool:

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a river spot that we used to have to hike a ways to get to. didnt know we were on the edge of someones property. the landowner was spying on us one day and seen us picking up the trash that others had left to take with us. he came down, introduced himself and invited us to use his land from then on, no more hiking in!

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I pity the fool who litters and I get proof of it. I have to clean up trash all the time at my lake lot. Mostly On the Bank. It floats up from people trashing out the lake. Lot of water and pop bottles and beer cans. Got some who stay around my lot and they leave worm boxes etc. all the time. Very easy to tell when a certain group of people has been there.
    They have little respect for the area. Going to take care of that problem some day. Where I fish aint as bad as the river. Last time I was at river, I turned around and came home. I took pics but haven't got my picture program working right now. Maybe I will find and post them later. It will make you sick. I did make a call about it. I had to pass by river to get our Christmas tree and I did noticed the county went in a cleaned it up. Still
    people leave their trash after fishing. I just dont understand that at all. Why would people trash up their fishing hole. I would hate to see how they live.

Also our spillway on lake I fish. My God I cant believe the liter. animals have more respect. I wish they would let me work off commission on liter at those places. Wouldn't need an hourly pay, I could make a killing on tickets.

dinkbuster1, that sounds like a plan. Heck when I was a kid, we picked up bottles all the time for show and candy money. I dont know why they stop doing that.

Baitfish, I hear ya. Raise my camper lid , Back of my truck looks like a trash can. I try to carry a trash bag but sometimes I just have to throw it in back. That reminds me. I have a bag of old trash back there now. Bet it stinks. LOL.

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Those people I just hate. I try to leave an area that I'm bank fishing better then I found it. People just don't care and it seem that the parents teach them that.

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    think ive been on this little rant before but here goes...

Houseboats.

I've all but given up on trying to keep our riverfront clean, let the springtime high water take it to someone else's land. okay the occasional bits of fishing line and bait containers from those fishing but the overwhelming majority is beer and coke bottles and most of that from houseboats. for some unknown reason people on houseboats evidently think that no one sees them. duh... im only a hundred yards away exposed on a dock in a lawn chair. ive even had these idiots wave at me with one arm while throwing a beer bottle in the river with the other. ba$$ boats too, tournament fishers the worst... eating twinkies at full throtle... do they even wonder where the snack wrappers end up? still not as bad as the houseboats. ive seen so much litter and trash tossed overboard, wastebaskets dumped, sewer tanks pumped, wet clothing tossed too, bilge pumps spewing oil, and ya kno..... somehow i dont think these same people act this way in their own homes, so why in my backyard?

and this is just about the waste and rubbish, i could write a book about all the other insane behavior i witness on the houseboats most of which too risque' to mention here. funniest of all is when they pull up to the bank at night a few yards from me nightfishing and dont know im there. geeezzz i wish ida had my camcorder. hahahaha

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    took these pics while i was fishing last week in a river near the house. as far as i could see it was like this too!

Attached Files:

• r3.jpg
      r3.jpg
      File size:
      169.8 KB
      Views:
    • ri.jpg
      ri.jpg
      File size:
      199.1 KB
      Views:
  17. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    sad but true, thats normal for when the water goes down after a rise. my bank looks similar every spring. use a box blade on back of a tractor to gather it all up and burn it.

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bayoubear, I hear ya on that. Same problems at my lot sometimes.

Only thing about your post. Never ever , not ever, say bad things about the twinkies.
    Twinkies. is all most under BOC protection. Might ask DH about that. LMAO. I'm
    kidding :D :D :p

19. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    oh i didnt realize, ill offer a sacrifice to the great twinkie spirits for sure.

river here has a few big tournaments each year, BASS, FLW, etc and the week up to and of i dont fish much. tourny days a hundred boats zip by full throtle and the junk food wrappers flying in the breeze is obvious. im not a fan of the tourny fishers as a whole. trotlines get cut, yoyo's missing fish, nets get cut too, i even watched one fishing a small local tourny hit almost each of my 3 doz yoyo's with a spinner bait. waited till he was past where i was and paddled out to rebait the yoyo's he tripped. no choice but to pass me on his way out and he was made aware i wasnt happy. guess im off topic now huh?

my most sincere apologies to King Twinkie.

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I PITTY THE FOOL! lol thanks dano! im getting off subject too but i had the privilage to meet Mr.T some years back and he's actually a very cool guy! think he's a preacher now...

Attached Files: