Please dont buy the silstar catfish rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by flatheadchris, Jun 13, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well....i though i was getting a bargain,it was a 7ft 1 piece 20-50lb rod.bought it new with the tags for 24.00.went out yesterday,1st cast out i catch a nice catfish,he was 18lbs,problem is on the way of getting him in the rod splits all the way down the backbone of the rod and total destroys its self.i didnt have to much pressure on the fish at all..im very dissapointed in the rod

2. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I wish I had read this yesterday before I went fishing I hooked into a nice channel of 8 pounds and the tip snapped off as soon as I put some pressure on him. I will never buy a silstar rod again.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Happy to say "I don't own one, nor will I ever"!!!

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Those are cheap pinacle knock offs. I dont like the bass rods either.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Dont own any of there rods. But have used their reels for years they dont make them anymore. Probally the only good product they have ever put out. The reels are just about the same as the Shimano baitrunners.I heard they got sued by Shimano for the design of these reels. The reels have never let me down have caught numerous big flatheads on them with no problems.Sorry to hear about your rod.

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I tihnk silstar is now owned by Pinacle.

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    yep they are thats what im saying there the cheap pinacle vershion of a good rod. Pinacle makes good bass rods but they make silstar cheapos also. Maybe I didnt word that right lol but thats what I ment my brain aint to good.:smile2:

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I NEVER BUY A ROD OR REEL THAT I DONTDO SOME RESEARCH ON OR HAVE OWNED THEM IN THE PAST.GLAD THAT I DONT OWN ANY OF THAT NAME BRAND RODS. SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU HAD PROBLEMS ESPECIALLY WHILE OUT FISHING.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thats awful I see these on the net all the time often for 15 buck and have considered ordering one as a spare rod but i wont now.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have 2 of those rods, they are about 3 years old and have landed a good many flatheads from 30 to 55lbs. I have not had any trouble out of them. They have a 7 year warrenty so you might want to use it, and see if you might have just got a damaged rod.
    A friend of mine just got a berkley big game rod and it broke on a 4lb channel cat, that doesn't mean all big game rods are bad, he just got one that had a defect or got damaged in transit.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Hey griz dose the big game rods have cork handles or foam?

12. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ^^ foam i believe

i talked to the rod company,they wanted me to send in the rod[thats about 10.00 for postage],and 15.00 for return shipping,thats more then what i paid for the thing.:crazy:

13. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I had a silstar/pinnacle spinning combo whose oscillator shaft bent when I set the hook on a 6 lb channel cat. I still have the rod, but that reel is trash. I shouldn't be able to bend 1/8" metal on a hookset. They must've made that shaft from tin or something. :big_smile:

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I am not going to worry about sending it back, I bought a new Fenwick rod to replace it, give them a try I guess.

15. hoso95

hoso95 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hate you lost a rod , but usually you get what you pay for

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    The catmaxx was on sale from BPS last week. With luck i hope that will finish out my rod buying for a while.........

17. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I have 12 of these rods, and have had them for 3 years, they are not that bad, landed my pb,a 54 lb blue a month ago, must have had a bad rod, things happen during shipping, you never know

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have some silstar rods also. It may be those rods broke due to unseen damage. I bought an ultra light rod, and the first fish one it, about a 1 to 1 1/2 bass, broke the rod. I'm not blaming the manufacturer ... I think some careless customer was whipping it in the store to check it's action and hit the corner edge of the display case or rod rack. That is not a lick on the rod. You know, they also break when you slam the car door on them. LOL. I wouldn't throw a stone at the entire spectrum of rods made by that manufacturer...

19. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got three of 'em and haven't had any problems. I broke the tip off one that was my fault though. landed a couple blues over 40 on 'em and they did good. I'm thinking about trying out a Powerod by Shakespeare I think. Are they any good? I'm looking at the casting rods not spinning.

20. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I've never used a Silstar. My rods are from Okuma and I will stand by them until I die. However, I have had the privaledge of trying out a couple or "Spiral Rods". If you want to spend a few bucks to get a rod that will last and you can pass down to your grandkids, you need to check out Classic Destiny Custom Rods. These rods are a bit on the high price side of things, but I do believe I could tow my jeep out of the mud with one. But for the angler who has to watch his budget, like most of our wifes, I would recommend a MH Okuma rod or combo.