Please carry your trash out

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by metalman, Apr 1, 2007.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I just got back from a bait trip to the Cumberland City steam plant in Tennessee.
    While the public fishing area there is a hotspot for skips and big shad it is one of the most depressing places I have ever fished at.
    The place is a dump. When it comes to trash it appears that it attracts the very worst kind of people. I am sure that not everyone who fishes there is a trash dumper but the few who do choose to carry out their trash are obviously totally outnumbered by morons who have absolutely no respect for other people, the environment or the sport of fishing.
    It is hard to describe just how filthy the place is. To use the term pigsty would be an insult to the animals that live in them. Every possible kind of fishing related trash is strewn around; miles of old line, broken poles, bait containers and fishing tackle packaging of every sort. Food wrappers, pop cans, glass and plastic bottles, the list goes on and on.
    In addition to its landfill-like appearance the place stinks. There is rotting bait and dead fish everywhere. Dozens if not hundreds of dead skipjack litter the shore, bank and walkways, each one slit open, guts removed presumably for bait and the carcass thrown on the ground.
    Although I left pleased with my coolers full of skips I also left angry and embarrassed. Angry at those who had trashed the place and embarrassed that to the passer by I could easily be included in their assessment that all who frequent the place are thoughtless, selfish, low life scum bags.
    I don’t know what the solution is or even if there is one but if the place was closed you can bet that those who have abused the place would be pissing and moaning about how they have been deprived of their right to fish…W

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Lets face it. the human race in general just plaine "SUCKS" There is no easy fix other than if ya witness it live. "TAKE A STAND" Let em know they are freekin animals that should not be wastein good oxygen for breathin!

3. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I guess i`m old school. I fish and hunt on private land alot. Regardless, I always leave with more trash than just mine. I`ve even seen other people start cleaning up when I do. Maybe it`s catchin on.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    maybe their parrents never made them cleen their rooms and they are used to it

5. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    at lake mead in nv the rangers would put a big roll of plastic trash bags at the boat launch for you to take with you to haul your trash out. it would remind people to to remove there trash, and on a couple of occasions we would use them if we forgot our own.

6. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Its amazing how some people just dont care. That is why your getting more and more places that wont let you camp for free on the lakes. People just have no consideration. We always leave with more trash then we came with. Really ticks me off when i have to pick up trash before i can even fish but i do it so i dont have to look at it.

7. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is a pond where i take my nephew fishing at that is the same way. Always trashed. Before we leave i always make him pick up ten pieces of trash. I tell him if we want to fish here in the future then we better start cleaning it up now.............

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Winston, We were there two weeks ago and there were some morons up on the wall throwing their pop bottles and trash into the water. It was rather sickening to be there and see all of the trash and debris all over the bank.
    Question????
    Is everyone in Tennessee like this? I know a few of them that aren't but apperently, most of the folks that fish there are pigs.
    I did notice that most of the ones leaving the trash everywhere were of the asian persuasion!!! They would fish in one spot for a long time and when they left, you would have to trip over the trash they left to get by the spot they were in.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Winston what you witnessed is a tragedy. I believe that one of the BOC brothers spearheaded a clean up last year at that site. I believe they spent a day or so trying to improve that area. Until officals start getting into the pocketbook of the abuser, it sounds like a loss cause. One that cares can do only what you suggested and remove ones own trash.:lol:

10. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Yeah, we had a cleanup day back a few months ago. If I recall about five people showed up and cleaned for over an hour. some of the bunch (atleast three I think) started down at the point and didn't move more than a few feet but ended up with like five big bags of trash.

I was down thereyesterday (Sunday) and it was a disaster zone.

We should organize another cleanup day (or night since the population seems to go down at that time). Wonder if we could get them to close it for a weekend so we could clean it up without people messing it up at the same rate :)

Who's in?

11. Longbow

Longbow New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I strongly agree with Mickey: "Until officals start getting into the pocketbook of the abuser..."

Has anyone complained to law enforcement? It sounds like a conservation officer/game warden could write tickets all day long in a place like that.

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    me and my wife always walk around the local ponds and lakes with a 5 gallon bucket and pick up most of the trash along the side. this is a great way to find hooks/swivels/and lead sinkers to melt into my no-rolls. I even find crappie jigs and lures alot. but I make a point to get all the line I see. that stuff is really nasty to the local wildlife.

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Steve,
    I would gladly pitch in if I lived closer. Best I can do is carry out what I can when I'm there. Thanks...W

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This kind of thing is such a shame. I have been fighting litter since the early seventies. Remember the old Indian with the tear in his eye. I spent most of my careerer picking up other peoples trash working in building and park maintenance. My question is where are the authorities and why aren't they handing out tickets with hefty fines. Along most of our nations high ways there are signs espousing $500 fines for litter, yet I never see citations in the local papers police reports. As responsible fishermen we will surly be lumped in with the rest. I have seen many bank spots on our Ohio rivers closed for just such activity. Organized cleanup days are fine, but wont solve the problem. Raise hell with the local authorities, let them know who you are, form a group and get media coverage. Let them know that they are wasting a great revenue resource. They probably all ready have laws on the books. Fine the $!#%&$* and add to the State and county coffers. If they think that there is something in it for them maybe, just maybe they will do something.