Pleasant suprise - the only orchid that will flower for me!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its not a garden plant but its the only orchid that will flower for me. My Brassia spider orchid.

Attached Files:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Beautiful!. Thanks for sharing the pic!

Much needed rain this week with a lot more headed here tonight and tomorrow. Been cleaning out the flower beds from the leaves out back on the billy goat hill, mowing, planting, moving, digging, hoeing, weeding, and watching the plants come to life. The redbuds and dogwoods are awesome this year! Lilacs are in bloom, irises are budding and the early purples are blooming now.

Waiting for these to bloom here.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very interesting plant, I like it, and the more you look at it, the more it grows on you :)

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Beautiful bloom! Thanks for sharing the pic.
    I love orchids.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thats a really neat flower. Glad it does well. I cant get any orchid to do anything but die.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Scott, I'd never seen this thread before. That orchid of yours is AWESOME, really neat. How is it doing by now? I hope you're still having such great luck with it :smile2:.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I love orchids, thier blooms can last weeks and sometimes months depending on the species/hybrid. Well since I posted my spider orchid pic, my dendrobium orchid decided to bloom which it hasnt done since I bought it in 2001. It gave me 2 flower spikes. one started to open in august and the other started to open in november & is just now ready to loose the last of its flowers. it still has 3 open flowers. Now I have a phaelenopsis that is in spike. I bought it at home depot 5 yrs ago on sale after it was done flowering so I dont know what color it will be. and the one I bought from out of state. Cattleya aurantiaca now has 5 buds opening up. its a orange flower with red lines in the throat. I'll post pic of that one when they open. but heres the dendrobium (purple & white) which started blooming in august. My orchids love my new home. they are all flowering when they hadnt for the past 5 yrs that I had them. check the date stamp on the pics. Its incredible how long they are in bloom.

Attached Files:

8. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I was wondering if there were orchid any other lovers in the BOC(should have known). If i can stay out of the boat long enough will take a pic of the nameless cattleya now blooming, have a cymbidium that's been in bloom since Christmas. Sure do like brassias, dendrobiums, cattleyas---orchids, thanks for the pictures.--shu

9. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    3rd try to post pic.--shu

Attached Files:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Heres the pics of my Cattleya now that the blooms are mostly open. This is the first time it's ever bloomed for me. I bought it from Clakamas orchids when It was just beginning to spike but then it failed due to shipping & environmental differences. one pic is in bud the rest speak for themselves. If you really like orchids. go here and browse thru the different nurseries.

http://www.orchidmall.com/plants.htm

Attached Files:

11. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Beautiful orange, started in orchids by buying a 'different' Christmas present for my wife now have somewhere over 200, all different kinds. It's a disease. Have had one cattleya over six years and can't seem to coax a bloom from it, moved from shade to getting leaf burn, repotted, changed fertilizers, the only thing left is the compost pile.--shu

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the pics, Scott and Myron. They're BEAUTIFUL! Keep 'em comin' please :big_smile:. I've always wanted to try growing an orchid or two, and you guys are inspiring me to go for it!

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I took an orchid tour in key west during my honeymoon cruise and had asked about my cattleya since i couldnt get it to flower. Down there most of the homes had Phals, Dendro's & Vanda's. The tour guide recommended maybe that it wasnt receiving a long enough photo period. I also emailed a cattleya nursery. They said the common issue is that they dont get the 10-15 degree drop in nighttime temp they need to encourage blooming. With my plant stand being in a south window, and with the cold spell we're finally having for winter, I guess it's finally getting what it wants.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

Catgirl

I started my addiction with a plant from homedepot and it grew from there. Phaelenopsis, Dendrobium, & Cymbidiums are the most common orchids that they offer at the depot. Get a book, read it, their not expensive and you'll be on your way. Then the hard part...keeping your addiction under control. Theirs litterally thousands of hybrid orchids bred for their bigger, more colorful flowers. Picking just one or 10 is a bit hard to do. Brassia orchids (spider orchids) like the first one that started this thread are by far the easiest to flower.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My spider orchid I started this post with is now sending up a double spike for the first time. woohooo!!

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My wife and I went to an orchid nursery and as an early christmas present I got to pick one out. I got it while it was in spike and now its in full bloom. I had previously emailed them with a list of orchids I was looking for. this was the only one on that list they had.

Attached Files:

17. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Scott
    Beautiful Catt., always enjoy orchid pics, have let mine go downhill a little as have been searching for the Florida natives, will try to get a few pics up later.--shu

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If you happen to come across some inexpensive or seedling ghost orchids, keep me in mind. Its native to florida. Its all root and then it has a long white flower that reminds you of a jig n pig bass lure with 2 curly tails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Orchid

19. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Scott
    2nd try for a pic. of Florida native orchid, common grass pink, somewhere i have a pic of the ghost orchid taken in south Florida this year.--shu

Attached Files:

20. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Scott
    check www.oakhillgardens.com for the ghost orchid, they had some at Orctoberfest in Deland, $12.50 ea no too bad.--shu