Platte River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Apr 23, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was passing by the Platte river on my way to my favorite farm pond and it made me wonder. Anybody ever fish the Platte? According to Mo. Dept of Conservation there's a couple ramps there in Platte city right off i-29. I have a 16 ft jon boat with a 25 horse motor, is there enough water to run? Looks really snaggy might be good for flatheads channel cat and carp. at least according to the state. Eric

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Eric, You will find lots of shallow spots, but except for really low water conditions it should be navigable in a small boat with a little bit of care. There is also a Missouri River access ramp on the Platte at Farley, and I've heard of some good fish being caught there in the lower few miles of the Platte, especially in the last half of May.

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can launch at Platte Falls, Interurban and Sharp Station Rd, Schimmel City in Farley, and I think there is one just north of Dearborn. I know some guys who run lines on the Platte and do quite well. I have fished it a couple times for channel cat in the summer and do pretty good. For the most part it doesn't get fished too hard. In the summer time it is hard to get from hole to hole as the riffles are too shallow. Some friends of mine keep talking about floating it with a canoe but never have done that.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I heard it's not alot of big one's in there, but I think id there's water there's fish in there.

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know they catch some big flatheads on there lines. All the channels I ever caught were just right for the fryer!

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I fished the platt in that area many years ago and cought some good fish. I would like to fish it again but quite a ways from the house.

Tom

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Met some MDC people at Edgerton...they were setting hoop nets for a survey....lotsa flatheads was the word:wink:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They catch some pigs out of the platte. But I just use it as a highway on the way to the Missouri R.

9. bhuey29

bhuey29 New Member

State:
    Excelsior SpringsMissouri
    Fished it quite a few times with a friend if you put in a Farley and head upstream you will find some rock bluffs with large bolders in the water we have taken MANY fish from that area. I have not personally caught anything HUGE but have heard of limb lines using 2lb carp and big bullhead catching 40+ flatheads. Also if you are going up river go SLOW I have seen a guy leave his lower unit on the riverbed hauling through there.

Hope it helps.

10. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I personally love the Platte. I have put my 14 ftv-bottom on it with a 9.5 evinrude many times. It does just fine, but hard to navigate when water is down. I have most luck with channels on dip or sponge bait - consistent action. I do not run lines. Just go slow and enjoy. hope this helps