Platte River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by njstephens, Mar 17, 2006.

1. njstephens

njstephens New Member

State:
    Near Weston, MO
    Anyone fish the Platte? Never tried it, but have heard good things about it.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Depends where you fish it,and what you fish for.I do great on carp and softshell turtles:crying: ,but never been that good on cats to me.Maybe closer to the Mo.river is good.
    Now,let me tell you about the little platte river,very close to my house and have had very good fishing on it.All types of species.

3. njstephens

njstephens New Member

State:
    Near Weston, MO
    Anyone fish the river in the Platte City area?

4. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I've always wanted to try the Platte...is there public access anywhere near where it enters the mighty MO?

5. njstephens

njstephens New Member

State:
    Near Weston, MO
    The closest public access to the Mo River, that I know of, is near Farley. There is a public boat ramp there at the Schimmel City access. I think it is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles from the Mo river. You can also fish from the bank under the Hwy 45 bridge near Farley.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use to fish the platte and the 102 around St. Joe all the time when I was little. I remember catching white bass out of the 102 one summer. But yeah nothing never to big. But thats what you catch on average from small rivers. NJ I fished around the duckhead in platte city. Little flatheads and some channels. Have not done that in a couple years though.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Ohhhhhhhhh, do i have a story about the Hwy 45 Bridge for you.

When my father was cop, he got involved in a car crash, he decided to take 45 hwy so that he could set up a road block, now this was back in the early 70's and it also happen during the evening. He was crusin down 45 hwy about 120mph, and his headlights on bright, he comes up to the bridge, he said that bridge got narrower and narrower since he was going so fast, so when he got up to the bridge there was a coyotoe standing in the middle of the bridge and a truck parked on the side of the road(fisherman under the bridge fishing), Dad said I thought that I was going to die, I'm about ready to hit a coyote at 120mph(wasnt going to slow down, plue he didnt have time too anyway) but at the very last moment the coyote jumped off the bridge into the water. He said that it looked like a cartoon, but he still wonders what the fisherman were thinking when that coyote jumped off the bridge. So the next time you drive past that bridge or your fishing under it remember the coyote that jumped.

chris

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    If you launch at Schimmel City and intend on working your way down to the MO - be careful at the MO45 bridge. There is a chunk of rock the size of a VW bus on the north or west side which is usually just barely under the surface of the water - depending on the depth of course.

I haven't tried it yet - but I have heard that the fishing is good where the Platte dumps into the MO. Good luck!

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmm Never noticed the rock at the 45 hwy bridge. However there is a nice big rock pile just a few yards down from the boat ramp. You want to stay on the inside of the first bend or your for sure going to hit it.

10. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Fishing is better on the lower portion of the platte, near farley. Put in a schimmel city. The best fishing can be had from the boat ramp to the mioghty Mo. But if you go upriver, there are some excellent spots as well. Once you get to the old steel bridge piling upriver you have went about as far as the going gets. unless the river is way up. Most of the good platte river fishing is from that bridge piling to the missouri. Now if you like to chase flatheads in June, then the platte is an overlooked resource in my opinion, good shovelheads can be had all the way to up past platte city. There is also a boat ramp at platte city, on the east side of I-29.

Good luck and good fishing