Platte River ramp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wrs75, Apr 2, 2007.

1. wrs75

wrs75 New Member

State:
    mo
    is there a ramp on the platte close to where it empties into the missouri. or somewhere on the missouri close to the platte so you could fish both rivers if you wanted to?

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    The closet ramp to the Missouri on the Platter River is just east of Farley at the fishing access at Schimmel City. It's probably a half mile down to the Missouri. Good luck!

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Or you could use Leavenworth. Ramp is on the south side of the bridge. You can turn left at the sonic.

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    That's good advice Crazy! Somehow, I completely forgot about the Leavenworth ramp.

5. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Have any of you ever actually put in at the Schimmel City ramp?
    I've been to the ramp before but it looked to me like the river is
    very narrow and shallow there. I was just wondering what the trek from there to the Missouri would be like.

6. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Schimmel City ramp is pretty nice! The river is narrow there, but the depth is good from there to the MO river! It runs 10ft plus all the way to the MO river! Hope this is helpful info!

7. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks Matt. I'll feel better now about giving it a try. Is that a pretty good spot for shad as well? Seems like it would be.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Shad no but it's a nice run of the gantlet from the carp. Just stay in the middle of the river and you should be ok. The only real danger is a big hump of rocks just down river of the ramp about 50 feet so stay close to the other side from the ramp while going around the first bend. There is one log in the middle next to a swing rope, just around the first corner. Then it's all clear for the river. My old boat did 30mph and I would WOT it down the Platte. The shallowest part it seems is right before the mouth of the river.

9. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    There is one other place to be careful of! Right under the HWY / RR Bridge there is another big chunk of rock. It is on the north (right side) of the channel as you are heading down to the Missouri. I have launched there several times without incident. Good luck!