Platte River (KCish area)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Jan 14, 2010.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey guys, gettin a little bit of cabin fever and started to do some research on boat ramps and new rivers to try out for the spring. I live up near Gladstone but was too stubborn to try out new waters last year (grew up in KS, fish KS waters my whole life), but I know Platte river has access not to far outside of KC.

I know where to find a lot of boat ramps, but havent seen much posted on here about ppl fishing it. Tough river to navigate? Shallow, lots of logs? Decent fishing or tough to track down fish? Shad easy to find?

Any info would be appreciated! Not lookin for any honey holes, just wondering if it would be worth my time to learn the river and fish it consistently.

2. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tough river to navigate? Lots of snaggs in it for sure depending on water level

Shallow, lots of logs? And a couple of rock ledges around Platte City that are hard on lower units.

Decent fishing or tough to track down fish? It can be, I have the best luck in the spring or when they ar eletting water out of the dam at Smithville lake.

Shad easy to find? Never have tryed because of the snaggs, I get my bait at the lake or in the big river.

Platte city has three ramps on the Platte. Good times but be carefull, the platte is not a river to test your skills on. I would much rather run the Missouri River than the Platte if I was looking for Safety. If you need some more info shoot me a message and I will be glad to help.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never have good luck getting bait in the platte unless it's carp. If you put in at Farley and run to the Mo. just keep it in the middle and you should be ok.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I stopped and looked at both platte falls access' last fall. the one to the east looked really shallow with lots of snags nearby, the one to the west looked alot better, and their was a guy taking his boat out there.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    In NE, I know the river has ALOT of Carp and Alot of air/fan boats run that river.. it is VERY VERY shallow up this way..But i hear it has some decent sized catfish though

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The platte in NE is on the wrong side of the Missouri river then the one being talked about.

7. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 17ft tracker grizz with a jet motor on it, so I'm not terribly concerned about shallow water. That river doesnt run too fast does it? The usgs site has it running anywhere from 1k CFS-6k CFS. Seems a lot like some of the smaller streams in KS.

How deep is it around platte falls area? I agree with you Gamblen, checked out the boat ramps and one of them seemed pretty dicey to be puttin the boat on there. Thats why you buy a catfish boat though, to beat it up :smile1:

8. moav81

moav81 New Member

State:
    KC, MO
    I had been looking at the Platte river to fish myself. I wanted to come into it off the MO river and see how the bait was in there. Sounds like it's a little smaller than I had thought. Thanks for all the information.

Kyle