Platte River is high and fast right now

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by JakeW, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i fished the platte friday night up by yutan, if anybody knows where that is at. as soon as i got there, i knew it wasnt a good idea. it had gone down about 18 inches in the past two days, but you still could not fish it. it was roaring by. i fished it still, and one big bite on bluegill, but nothing (but a hangover the next day). will try again and let you know. if anybody else has fished the platte or elkhorn, let me know how it was.

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    not sure where you are fishing but some of the platte that i fish has some rip rap not much but some. when the river is high like now these are hot spots. usually i fish about a foot off the bank right on the rip rap. use nightcrawlers, cutbait will work to just make sure it is dead and juicy. this is almost a surefire way to catch fish in high water, lots of eaters and some bigger.

3. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    well i think my bait was part of the problem. i used bluegills, but they were kind of big i am thinking. but, i did let about 15 of them go in the river so the cats will be eating good. i fished up by yutan. if anybody knows where that is at.

4. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I'll prob will be fishing the Elkhorn on friday night, just a bit downstream from the Q St Bridge. Will post results.