Plastics

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Sasquatch_24, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    i dont know about all you other bass fisherman, but personally i think plastics are by far the best way to go for largemouths. ive caught largies on just about every style of bass tackle out there. but when it comes down to it, if they arent hitting on plastics, they arent hitting anything. any thoughts or comments? i just thought id post this to show my love for the soft-bodied bass lures out there.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like a beaver craw gig and a swimmin chunk with a rattle in it. I agree though, it's hard to beat plastics period.

3. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    in all seriousness, though. theres a plastic substitue for any hard bait out there and they will almost always out-fish their hard plastic look-a-like.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like soft plastics too but at times you can catch them waaaaaay better on hard lures especially cranks/lipless cranks. I would also much rather use a hard jerkbait than a fluke or fluke style lure.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have to agree, sometimes runnin a crankbait over structure can't be beat. And in the winter and early spring a lucky craft stacey or pointer is potent medicine when the fishing is slow.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've allways used way more soft plastics than anything else. I don't know about you guys,but I cant afford to loose many crankbaits at 5;00 a pop. I can buy a bag of craw worms,a pack of hooks and a pack of weights for about that and have at least 10 times as many lures. But I cant get away from my floating topwater hard baits,Just gotta love a big ole bass bustin a pop r

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like a jig and pig in spring, rubber in the summer, and crankbaits in the fall. Metal in the winter.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with you on the use of plastic to a point. All baits, hard or plastic, are tools. Different conditions call for different tools. Also there is times when fish prefer an action bait over any other bait and vise verse. I would suggest you carry what you have already proven to work and what you have the most confidence in. As far as cost effective I would also go with plastics.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri

Mick couldn't have said it any better. To be successful you have to find the pattern. The cost of hard baits are out ragious, i got 3 shimano boxes of lucky craft at 15 bux each. That adds up quick. Spooks, crank baits etc. average 5 bux. Worm hooks aren't cheap either, hook box prolly worth 100 bux. What do i carry? Most all of it, the tackle bag weights around 40 pounds. Just for kicks, i'll spread mine out and get a pic later. This ain't counting rods/reels. Not a cheap sport by any means. I will not buy junk however because i won't use it if i don't have confidence in it. Prolly a mental block there:eek:oooh:

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    gotta agree with the comments on confidence. from my bass fishing years......if I did not have confidence in the bait I did not catch fish. I could take a rogue and catch fish most days. But I knew I could walk that puppy the right way. never gave any other crank bait a honest try to be honest. Tie sumfin else on and would lay it back down in a few minutes cause I wanted a rouge.:roll_eyes:

never had the patience to try many plastics. cought some fish but not alot.

MIND GAME!!:cool2:

11. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    i only use the best gear money can buy. if i cant afford the good stuff, i save my money until i can. i never settle when it comes to bass fishing. but plastics can get pretty pricy too when small fish are smacking them. its pretty easy to tear up plastic worms especially when the bite is hot.