Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing with a guide for stripers and he had a triple rod holder of synthetic material and had used it for years. Until that moment I did not trust the strength of this type, but fresh water stripers hit hard. Think these will hold blues? I would hate to loose 3 rods and a big fish if I left the drag too tight!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think? The ability to shift the 3 rod holder direction or remove it for traveling is a great quality.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I've been using the single plastic rod holders for years, and the only problems I've had are the screws working loose that hold the base on. Cured that problem by using bolts & nuts.
I'm not sure I would trust any system that uses one mount to hold three rods, but that's just me.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I saw a good idea recently, a guy was fishing on a dock with his rod in one of them screw in hooks for hanging stuff in a garage. The butt of the rod sits there, the rod on the dock rail. The guy had a cord from the reel foot tied to the dock rail. He used a small carabiner to make it easy and fast to remove. That way if a fish breaks the holder, his rod might get wet, but he wont lose it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that you are right. Keep screws tight and perhaps a safety cord. I had thought about the triple holder as it is so handy to move. I have metal driftmasters, but it takes a big bar or a lot of holes and I catch few really big cats (actually very few). I also believe in keeping drags reasonable and add thumb pressure if needed. I was unsure as to the company to purcase from. There are several. Thanks for ideas ! Hannibal Mike

·
Registered
331 Posts
the scotty mounts/cabelas mounts are real good also they have two different style. check them out. they sell four packs of the 360ht for 60 bucks i believe. those are the one that i have on my boat. they also have some called quick draws that look good also.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
the scotty mounts/cabelas mounts are real good also they have two different style. check them out. they sell four packs of the 360ht for 60 bucks i believe. those are the one that i have on my boat. they also have some called quick draws that look good also.
I tried the Quick Draws, but they are not big enough to hold Ugly Stik Tiger Rods, so I switched to the 360ht's. That was about 10 years ago and have yet to have any problem or hint of any in the future.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I was at BassP yesterday and did not like their rod holders, but the scotty and atwater looked ok. The Berkley should work too. Haven't seen the cannon's.
i got the cannons off ebay. i have cannons and the new atwoods,but the cannons are better.i like both though.17.99+shipping,or some for 20.00 free shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.