Plastic guage lens scratched up

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by C2catfish, Oct 9, 2005.

1. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Anyone know how to get these scratches out? I used some plastic compound with a buffing wheel on a dremel tool just to get it this good.

Maybe I just didn't do it deep enough, but I'm afraid of melting it.

C2

Attached Files:

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    From the photo it looks pretty bad. I was in the same situation once and made it worse when I tried to buff the scratches out. I removed it and took it to a hardware store. They got out plexiglass and matched up the correct thickness and cut me a new one for a few dollars. Abu

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've seen some acrylic scratch repair advertised for taking the scratches out glasses. You might try that stuff. If you get it, use it on a small area first to see how it works.

4. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Thanks for the info. I might try taking it apart

C2

5. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    Other thing that works is plasta coat its in spray form and fills in the craks and scratches just dont go hevy or it crakes. :)

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Do a search for:

Novus 3 Plastic Heavy-Duty Scratch Remover

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    If you can run your fingernail across the glass and not feel any scratches you can repair it with several products on the market but you can still tell it has been repaired. If it is deep enough to feel with your fingernail you can use whatever you want but it will not look like new glass and it will distort when the light hits it from different angles. Replace the glass, it is cheap and you won't waste time and money trying to fix the scratches. Abu

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I can tell ya, if you happen to have a da sander. 3M makes a 3000 grit da disk called Trizac. It works great for getting scratches or dull spots off your headlights on your Pick-up. It's made for clear coats but works great for getting them scratches out. Abu is right about the finger nail. Now I seen some pretty bad scratches in those plastic headlight covers come right out with Trizac, However, the box of Trizac is kinda tuff on the wallet. You may be better off getting it replaced like Abu did. Or if you have a buddy in the paint and body bus. ask him for a sheet of Trizac.