Plastic grapes catch catfish good

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by taterpicker, Sep 6, 2007.

1. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Its rained all day here and i have read for hours on this bait stuff but i have not seen anyone using any grapes.
    Go to Walmarts and get a bunch of plastic grapes in the craft section. Last ones cost me $1.97. Must be 50 in a bunch. Try an get the softer ones. Pull off a grape and stick a hook down beside the hole in the top and on out the bottom, i use a #6 barbed back eagle claw hook. Use a large set of toenail clipers and clip a couple of small holes about midway up on the grape. Dont get too low or the current will wash the bait out faster. When i first started using them i bought lil-stinker stink bait in the tubes and injected it into the grape through the hole where the grape came off the bunch. After reading all you fellows stink bait concoctions on here i been mixing my own bait. I use a blender and mix it to about the consistancy of cup grease. to get it into the grape i use an old plastic injector that came with a computer ink refill kit. It had a metal tip for a needle that pulls out leaving the tip about the size of the hole in the top of the grape. Just suck up some of the bait mix an inject it into the grape. I let it overflow through the two small holes an then use the end of the injector to smear it around to cover any plastic taste that might be on the grape. One could soak the whole bunch of grapes in garlic or anise oil before ever starting to eliminate any foriegn oders. This not only works but it works good. If you dont catch fish then its not the grapes. Try a different bait inside. We take fresh bought livers and only add crisco lard to hold it inside longer and then blend an pore it right back in the liver cup an keep it in a cooler to retain freshness. Should you reel it in an you think it needs more bait just give it another shot. Its eaiser that panty hose or thread at least for me.
    I use to use baloons but the grapes work out better.
    I mixed up 3 different baits from you fellows list today with some modifications that i plan to try tomorrow night. If one of them works out real good ill post the results.
    May as well be fishing because when the wife gets a smell of the car shed where her car is parked she aint gonna let me back in the house for awhile. It was raining, heck couldnt run a blender in the rain. When it comes to fishing bait gets priority.
    Thanks to all you folks for all the good tips i been getting off here.

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Good idea. I will have to try that.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Now this is a new one for me...but it sure sounds like it will work.

Thanks for the great tip!

Welcome to the BOC!

4. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    and if your line snaps the cats can choke on the plastic...good idea!

5. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    thanks for the info. sending the wife to wallmart tomorrow. do you use a snap swivel attached to the hook in the grape, or just tie the line on?

6. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    HAHAHAHAH!
    Man that is a good one on my way to Walmart and will be giving it a try!
    My wife is going to laugh her head off when she see's me ion the girly section! Oh well gotta give it try now will advise on my findings!
    Plastic Grapes!:haha::haha::haha::haha:

7. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    I dont use no swivel but would be ok.
    I use the hooks that have the leader attached.
    Went last night on our White river and only caught 3.
    They were in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound area. Tried fresh
    cut brem and turkey liver that we normaly do good on
    and did no good with that either. Got one on liver and 2 on
    grapes but then we had out 3 grapes to one liver. Nothing on
    the brem so they were just not biting.
    Was fishing in bad current and had some problems with the bait
    washing out of grape. Still need something that resists water a
    little more that wont get too hard to suck up in the injector.
    I have split the grape on one side from bottom towards the top then squeeze it an it pops open to insert hard dough bait but i prefer to pump it in with the plunger. I dont get so much on me that way. Cheeze works good but gets too hard to inject if kept cold to preserve freshness of liver or
    fresh bait. Works good on stink baits if kept out in the sun. White river is so cold that it can be held for a moment in the livewell after injecting and it hardens right up. Only solution i see is some sort of DC blender and mix the fresh bait with cheeze on the spot then cool it in the cold river as it is used.
    Some one mentioned that the fish would die if it gets away an swollows the grape. I dont think that would be no problem with what i have found in catfish stomachs they can pass about anything.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with jeremiad. Thanks for the tip.:smile2:

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I dont mean to burst anyones bubble...but they already have these. More expensive though.

Attached Files:

10. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    i think i tried those one time vegas..but no luck..but like always that dont mean anything..

11. ike9389

ike9389 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I will try the grapes and the price will be low . good idea

12. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Knowing Little Stinker sells a premaid Grape, if one can call it that dont burst my bubble none.
    The 1.97 cents for about 50 plastic grapes did not hurt my bank account none either.
    Us old Arkansas country boys have to cut some corners where we can once in a while. Walmart also sells stink bait already mixed up but i like some of the
    home maid baits you fellows have came up with better.
    I guess its all in what you perfer. Unless money dont matter buy the little stinkers for what 2.37 for 2 or something like that. Me i like the bunch of about 50 grapes for 1.97 and i aint got to change that little bitty hook the stinkers come with. Besides that, when someone comes by an sees all those catfish you got an says "what you using for bait"? Would you rather say Grapes. Rather than little stinkers.
    I once caught a bunch of catfish on Beef Hearts. Some fellow yelled out"what you catching them on"? I yelled "Beef Hearts" his reply was "Smart ellic". Took me a minute but try yelling Beef hearts, you'll get the message.

13. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    that is funny tater..beefarts

14. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    Sounds interesting I will give it a try.

15. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I hear ya...i try to save money on my gears and tackles also.:big_smile:

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Where can I buy beefarts? LMAO

17. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I too made a trip to wal mart to check out the plastic grapes.
    The head of the crafts section must have read this thread because they were nearly $5.oo a bunch.
    I'll look around because I know I can buy them for a lot less.
    BTW have you tried a turkey baster to fill your grapes?You can buy one at the dollar store for a buck.

18. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how much of a fart could a bee have?

19. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I've tried some of those and didn't have much luck?
    I think the hole is too big and the bait get's washed out before the fish have time to find it?

Ken

20. hallpatrickh

hallpatrickh New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have used those also, but used plastic catsup and mustard bottles like you find in Restraunts to fill mine. Put some foil over the tip and it makes good temp storage also.