Plastic floor

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by moriver, Mar 16, 2009.

1. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So my current project is about complete. I am down to the floor material and have spent more than enough time thinking what I want but to date have not come up with the answer. I was mounting my transducer and had a thought. I have wanted a floor that is quiet, durable and low maintenance. Aluminum is ok but it is loud and still needs coated. Wood is quiet but prep is a pain to make it last and still needs coated. How about Choicedek? Plastic composit decking you would use on your deck at the house. Its a plastic and wood composit material that I could put down and go. What do you think?

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    That sounds like a pretty good idea. I just got a boat & have spent the day thinking about flooring as well. I'll be interested to hear what everyone has to say...

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that would be a great idea,please show pics when you get it in,What is the weight of that material just curious , good luck with your project

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Isn't that stuff kinda heavy? I also think that i read somewhere it'll rot and also grow mold? Maybe Mark or somebody can confirm or deny this? The stuff i've priced around here is also very expensive......but i guess if you hafta buy aluminum that aint cheap either.

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good luck with your floor. I think I read somewhere that the composite decking on average is around 2.0 to 3.6 lbs per sq foot. Depending on thickness.

I am still a fan of aluminum or plywood with a protective covering, wether it be marine vinyl flooring or a spray in liner.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I looked into that stuff, and talked myself out of it...not all sunshine and roses.

8. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok it sounded like a good idea but the stuff is HEAVY...... Now I am back to my search.....

9. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would use the aluminium, It wont rot. Put a rubberized coating on it and this should help with the noise. It would be a lot eaisier to clean as well.

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya mite try uhmw (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) its what a cutting board is made of, very strong and light weight and tough as steel, only thing is its VERY slippery going to need to rough it up

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And expensive.

I could buy 6 gallons of epoxy before I could get finished paying for a sheet of that in a decent thickness.
    It's not light weight in my book.

It's good stuff used for the right thing. Some of the airboat guys are covering the bottoms of the airboats with it.

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark, is that garage floor epoxy you're talking about?

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya Mark 100% right a lot of $$, If it were me I would use alum, with rubber floor mats, but that's me I own a sheet metal shop:wink:that's stocked full of mat'l , And as far as uhmw on the bottom a boat, been using it also on the bottom of alum. jet boats out of the Pacific North West it can be ordered factory in stalled on new boats, not only does it help against the rocks and sliding over rock and sand bars but it adds flotation to the bottom of the boat by being lighter then water, been said it can make jon boat float 2" higher

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Boat building epoxy. Brands like

Marine Epoxy
    System 3
    Raka
    West Systems

There all kinds of epoxies and not all epoxies are created for the same thing.
    Epoxy glue in a tube bought at Lowe's does not have anywhere near the characteristics of boat building epoxies. Not the same thing. Not even close.
    Boat building epoxy has very little if any noticeable smell.

15. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is exactly what I used in the bottom of my 1648 jon. A 4x8 3/8" thick sheet was around $150 but thats all I needed to do mine the way my boat is laid out. I got the idea from a friend who builds rock buggies and races them, he puts the stuff on the bottom of his buggies to help slide over rocks and beats it way harder than any boater could ever imagine and it holds up excellent. As far as being slick, it's not near as bad as you would think even when it gets wet and all slimed up. It has a light texture to it and seems to provide good to excellent traction with the 18" Rocky buckstalker boots and crocs or flip flops I wear fishing depending on what time of year it is. As a matter of fact we went crappie fishing a few weeks ago and the air temp was 22 degs. and even though the whole boat was frosted over and the steering and throttle linkage was frozen up when we got to the boat landing about daylight that morning I never onced slipped while leaning over the back of the boat messing with the linkages at the motor trying to get them freed up so we could make our way to our favorite crappie hole. The only downside I have seen in it so far is the color, which is white, and trying to duck or goose hunt out of the boat, but even that could be remeided with maybe a couple cans of spray paint or spray on undercoating from the local parts store. The lady at the place where I bought mine from also said they made a plastic called starboard, which was designed for marine applications but they were sold out when I got mine so I just went with the cutting board material. Another upside of it is when you need to cut up bait you have a cutting board already built in to your boat and it's a whole lot easier on your knives than aluminum. As far as weights go I would say it is comparable to a 4x8 sheet of marine grade plywood. Is it heavier than alumminum? Yes, if you compare the weight to thickness ratio, but you are talking about several pounds not hundreds. A sheet of .125 alumminun weighs in just shy of 58lbs and a sheet of 3/8" plastic could not be more than double that. Your talking a maximum increase of around 50lbs., catch one good size catfish and you have already added that much or more to the weight of your boat. The last deciding factor I guess would be cost. As I said before a 4x8x3/8in. sheet was around $150. I am going out on a limb to say you aren't going to find a 4x8 sheet of alumminum of sufficient thickness to do what you want with it any cheaper than the plastic. One other thought is the workability of the material. Both have there own benefits I guess. The alumminum can be bent and formed to fit odd shapes but is harder to cut to size. Yes I know you can cut it with a skill saw but you better invest in earplugs for you, your family, and any neighbors within a couple hundred yard radius. The plastic on the other hand if you can use it to work on wood with you can use it on the plastic. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

16. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    an idea, if you go the aluminum route, go to any stereo store and ask for a few sheets of dynamat, when i was into the mini truck show scene and built multiple stereo setups for my truck (12 total) i would always lay down a sheet of dynamat, its a sound deading materail and you dont have to use the whole sheet in one spot, you can cut it and trim it and place little peices here and there, even these little peices will deadin any type of material. just a thought and its not expensive to get.

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The previous owner of my boat had the plastic decking installed as a floor on the boat. It's really easy to pull out when the I need to wash the boat out and then just drop back in place. I used some 2" self tapping screws to secure the decking on each end and it's plenty quite and stable for my liking.