Plasma/LCD

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ol Man, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been dropping hints for a new TV and it looks good so far. I don't know which route to go... plasma or LCD. I have done a little research on each format. The plasma has a short life span (5-10yrs) and is prone to "burn in", where the LCD has problems with pixels being dropped or burnt out. I don't want a big screen. More in the 35-37" range, flat screen, preferably something I can hang on the wall. Anyone have experience with these? Suggestions..?
    Thanks...

~~~~~~~~~~
    It is okay to visit your past just don't bring any luggage with you.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    We use many screens here in our ops center and virtually everyone is going to LCD.Plasma still leads in the big screen arena but LCDs are catching up.The burn in problem was mostly with the first generation plasma screens and has been fixed for the most part.I have three 62 Samsungs that are used 24/7 with no sign of burn in.I am replacing two 42 Sony plasmas with the newer LCDs however.For your application you can get more screen for the buck with plasma.As with depth finders pay attention to resolution as it will determine picture quality.One last piece of advice the same rule that applies to boats ie whatever you own is 2 ft to short applies to screens.IN this case Bigger is better and you will regret not going bigger if you can afford it..Be sure and factor in the wall mounts and speakers when you purchase.:smile2:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Jim.. As far as size, my SIL bought a 57" projection and watching it made me dizzy. He replaced it with a smaller one that, for me, is watchable.
    I have a smallish area for TV viewing (12' X 16')

~~~~~~~~~~
    There's a book that tells you where you should go on your vacation. It's called your checkbook.

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    We have a 42' plasma. Its wonderful!! We had it on the wall which drew alot of attention from guest when they came over and creates more room in the area as well. With it mounted, your limited to how well you are able to place funiture though. We are looking at another mountable flatscreen for the bedroom and pass our 27 inch to one of our daughters. We have a Sony, its really nice and we've been very happy with it.

Good luck and hope you get exactly what you want.:tounge_out:

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The space saving is what we're looking at. It will hang on a south wall over what used to be a fireplace insert which was removed and replaced with a corn stove. I don't know what effect the heat above the stove will have on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Knowledge is proud she knows so much; wisdom is humble that she knows no more. (Cowper)

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Save the warranty card:lol:

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, thanks Mark... I have heard that plasmas cannot be tipped over 15° without messing them up bigtime...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't expect people to look eye to eye with you if you are looking down on them.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ooooops, I installed a 30k Bang Olusefen system with a 60 inch Plasma for a guy that is currently under the jailhouse probally for life.
    During this whole screwed up ordeal by Bang ( They couldnt get us the right cabling, I guarantee I know more about their equipment then they do from that 2 day nightmare)I bet we hung that sucker 5 or 6 times and layed it on a blanket:big_smile:
    When his house got seized and the contents auctioned , somebody got an awesome entertainment system dirt cheap.

For the record, he was a financial planner and investor for retired people.
    Editor for a retired persons magazine.
    Owner of a travel agency for retired people.
    He ripped them all off for millions.

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Call me old fashon but I'm for projection widescreens. Sure they take up space but I love mine cept maybe the big burn line from leaving it on all night:embarassed:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Today I saw a buyers guide on big TV's on the noon news.
    The best bang for the buck right now is rear projection TV's but they have their pitfalls. The one they rated in a lab with electronic gizmos that detect color among other things was better then the plasmas or LCD. The pitfalls?
    The bulbs need to be replaced every 2 years at the tune of 200 bucks a piece. I have no idea how many it has.
    And when you move off center the picture darkens.

I'll stick with my 37" picture tube TV no more TV then I watch.:big_smile:

I do want to say when all these technologies first bust onto the market they are priced for the rich. So in essence the rich are the technology guinea pigs of society. Over time they are improved on and the prices become bargain basement prices compared to what they once were.
    It wasn't long ago that a 60" plasma was about 15 grand worth of TV.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd have to watch one of those big screens from a high rise window washers platform 'cause there'd be no room for my strato-lounger...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Be not simply good; be good for something. (Henry David Thoreau)

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mark hit the nail on the head with rear projection.We tried that first in our op center but the bulbs were 300$ and only had an 800 hr life.We use them 24/7 so replacing the 3 bulbs at that interval proved far to costly to maintain.Thats when we went to the big screen plasmas.Rear projection also has problems with clarity,resolution and distortion but they make a fine teleconference machine which is what we did with ours.Personally I believe that the conventional floor television we all grew up with is dead as a doornail.I have also predicted for years that the house of the near future will simply have opaque walls built in that will function by computer which will run the house and oh by the way will also function as you enetertainment screen.:big_smile:

13. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

All but one of my tv's are CRT. The one that is not is a 37" plasma. I like the CRT's but am growing more fond of the plasma.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mark, we've had a 54 inch Toshiba projection TV for 13 years.. no problems.
    True, sitting to the side darkens the picture. Not a problem for us, we sit in front for ours for it's in a large room and the picture is near perfect using digital cable. Ours has three color guns that project through magnifiing glass to the screen.

The hotel we stayed in DC had a plasma TV... the color was fine but people look distorted?

16. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Jeb great post. I too am in the market for a new TV. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the best way to go. This thing called technology is a lil hard to swallow for a country boy.

I'm looking for something in the 52"-56" range with plenty of space to put it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a particular "BRAND"?

This has been giving me a headache. I'd rather be fishing....

17. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I noticed on my daughters big screen, which is rear projection, people look short and squatty. I just attributed it to the 16:9 business... not so? I think it needs adjusting...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Yesterday, today was tomorrow, yet tomorrow, today will be yesterday.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Probably true. Shouldn't be any distortion. When we bought projection TV, they said the magnifying glasses would need cleaning ever so often to remove dust. I checked them a few years back and they were still clean. I think the color guns or CRT's in a projection TV is are reliable as any CRT.... or they have been for us.
    But one may out today! :lol:

19. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I went out on black friday and got a 52" lcd projection panasonic. They had it as a doorbuster item for 999. Normally runs around 1600-2000. I read alot of people having problem with the bulbs on the these types of tv's so i got a good warranty. I tell you what, get the HDMI cable and the HD channels and you will be amazed. I was watching Discovery channel in HD last night and was totally amazed, it looked better than most of the plasmas that were 3,000$ at the stores. This could also because I had all of the lights turned off in the house. If I had more money I probably would have gone with the DLP's or high end plasmas without the burn-in problems. Just go to your local electronic stores and fiddle around with the tv's. Make sure you change inputs to COAX, and COMPONENT, and HDMI to make sure you know how it handles each type. They will have most of the expensive ones on HD and then some of the cheaper ones or ones they dont make as much profit on use component or composite.