planting by the signs

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by chambers bd, Feb 3, 2008.

Have you planted your garden using the signs

1. yes i have

2. no i have not

3. yes i did and it did not help

4. It works very well

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    polling
    planting by the signs

Attached Files:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brian, grew up 1945 to whenever I grew up, lets say 1963.

Fished by the sign, hunted by the sign, usually the weather and not DNR seasons, planted by the sign, harvested by the sign. Things like plant corn when the oak leaves are as big as a squirrels ear or when the honeysuckle blooms. Set your eggs on such and such a quarter of the moon. Full moons, harvest moons, quarter moons, waning moons, rising moons. About the only moon my folks didn't use was the one where you stick your rear out a car window.

Real old country, off the boat stuff. Can't say whether it worked or not. In most cases we had no choices. Didn't have the control over things like we have now. Seed choices, refrigeration, machinery, fertilizers and sprays, markets and availability of goods from other places. Changed everything and everyones attitudes.

Now the only sign I use is if my back feels good enough to plant something. Most of the times it is more of a sigh than a sign.

John.

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I always plant by the signs. It works! You can dig a posthole in the increase of the moon"When the moon is before being full" And you will have to much dirt leftover after you put the post in And on the decrease of the moon " After the full moon" You want have enough dirt to fill the hole after you put the post in.
    You can castarate a pig on the decrease of the moon and he want hardly bleed.
    Same goes for pulling your tooth.
    When you kill a hog do it on the decrease of the moon and the fat will cook out of the meat.
    And so on.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :tounge_out::crazy::embarassed::cool2::confused2::smile2:

what?????? lol i just plant when hopfully the last frost is gone.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with the wanting and waning moon on diggin in the dirt. Having been in fiber optic cable instalation for 16 yrs taught me when to be ready to haul off dirt when trenching . as for less bleeding ,I have seen this work too,I dub our game roosters combs during a waning moon ,they bleed way less.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep, we start just as soon as the ground is ready and the back is willing :smile2: always have a good yield on everything, but I will say that having the old well does help just a bit on them dryer years (like last). Not to far off here in the midst of the country, wife is already getting the list taken care of and what needs fixin, how many of ya use the old fish guts and what nots in yer gardens? all natural no chemicals, or doesn't matter what ever is needed?

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Now the only sign I use is if my back feels good enough to plant something. Most of the times it is more of a sigh than a sign.
    I admire the honesty heah!!!:eek:oooh:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Crap, i was trying to quote Post on this. What did i do wrong?:confused2:

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have never planted by the signs; just whenever the grounds ready & I'm able! But I do believe in them. I've just never taken the time to learn more about it. But those of you that do, please keep me posted on it; I'd love to hear how it all comes out!
    In fact, I started diggin' in the dirt today; gotta do it while the weather co-operates!

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The only sign/saying that I have followed is to plant potato's on Good Friday. And I don't know if that makes a difference.

When the ground gets warm enough to be worked this year, I will plant my potato's and parsnips. Let it snow or whatever after that, they will come up and make it.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Help me Brian, please. I am a Sagittarius and only plant late November to the middle of December. So far nothing has grown. The ground is very hard to work as my rototiller only scratches the surface. I guess I have to forget about potatoes, but would something like lettuce work that only has to have a eighth inch or so of soil covering it?
    Also I planted some pot seeds by a freeway NO PEDESTRIANS BEYOND THIS SIGN once in California. Does any one know if it is still growing? :big_smile:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Here its always been plant the garden on Good Friday. I used to until I was busy one year to plant. I wound up planting the second week in May.
    Best garden I ever had.
    The next year I tried it again planting around the 3rd week of May. Another great garden.

I think the biggest reason was soil temperature.
    When you plant early it takes time to get things going and standing on its own two legs.
    When I plant in May it pops and goes to town.
    You can rush a garden. I figured that out.

As far as moon signs? I dont put much stock in it planting wise.
    Like postbeetle said the seeds we use today aren't what we had available years ago.
    I know all the seeds I buy are certified and in most cases aren't what mother nature created. They are hybrids or genetically altered to perform.

Main thing is soil temperature and properly prepared soil using soil samples and testing.
    Its what the farmers rely on around here and unlike me, they are staking everything they own on the planting.

I've heard some of the moon lore all my life dealing with sand spurs and gum trees.
    The lore doesn't always hold true.
    The best way to deal with a gum tree is still boring a 1" inch hole at a downward angle into the heart of the tree and filling said hole with undiluted Roundup.:big_smile:
    Deader then a hammer forever. On any moon in any month.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Well now planting in nov? Pot on the side of the freeway?

Perhaps if you take the time to read about it youll understand that you may want to try april or may. As far as the pot go's you may want go ask your local judge to let you get in their to work your garden.

Ca is real dry so do keep h2o close by!

You plant by the signs not the months I see you are challenged in the intallect area, perhaps you should read up and may both your gardens will grow.

[​IMG]

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont pay any attention to the signs when planting. It is all about soil conditioning and temperatures for me. I monitor these closely. I used to plant too early and would have poor results...mainly because I was trying to get everything set out before turkey season started. Now with the economy and the price of foods on the rise...I consider the garden more than just a past time. It is a much needed supply of fresh foods. I had 4 gardens last year and still have much produce canned and in the freezer. I also raise rabbits and turkeys and chickens . A valuble source of meats to go with the veggies. Hunting and fishing provides more variety as well. I think this year I will plant on or around may 1st. That should be warm enough for this region.:cool2:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive never grew a garden before and I live in an apartment. I started some bell peppers and some hot peppers seeds the other day indoors and thinking about some maters. I got a pretty good size balcony and found some half wine barrels pretty cheap, figured Id give it a shot.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nothing wrong with that Mike, another space saver that works well is putting your maters in an upside down hanger, I have used a simple bucket with hole drilled in the bottom, the maters will grow very well hanging from whatever.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah Randy, thats a good way to grow cherry tomatoes. I used to hang buckets every year. I even decorated the buckets with stenciled on vines and flowers.
    Mike, you can plant them right side up too. Remember a drainage hole and don't over do the fertilizer.