plant identification please?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bayoubear, May 26, 2008.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive got a volunteer in one of my flowerbeds- last two years i cut it off as soil level and never saw it again till the next spring. this year i figure its earned a right for me to at least figure out what it is. very fast growing- more shrub like than tree form. as a volunteer it may be native to this part of country or could have stowed away in a load of soil or mulch. ive got this posted at a few other sites too, even the folks at gardenweb cant give me a straight answer.
    thanks,
    chad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Looks like you're showing off your Ash. :smile2:

Here's a about.com page that's real helpful for tree ID.

Tree ID

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Ain't sure about that now. Another website is showing different leaf styles for Ash. :eek:oooh:

Checked yet a third site and it's showing Green Ash

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also thought ash from the leaves but i'm not certain.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

Attached Files:

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thank you for the efforts- ive been roaming cyberspace also and am still a little reluctant to call in an ash. the leaves are similar in that they are compound leaves and share some similar characteristics however there are some disticnt differences. i have an ash in my front yard as do a lot of neighbors and they do not look much like this little bush (compound leaf structure aside)

i will investigate individual ash species more thoroughly and do more comparing back and forth in hopes we are on the right path.

bugs me that i have something in my gardens i dont know what it is.
    if it is indeed a member of the ash family ill have to dig it out and toss it.
    wrong location for a tree. thanks again for the efforts
    chad

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Have to remember that after 2 years of being severely pruned, the growth habits of the plant will be different than pure new growth.

I have a pecan in a front flower bed that I've been fighting with for about 5-6 years now. :angry: Only thing it has similar to a regular pecan now, is the leaves.
    This year, I'm going to try a 30% or 50% glysophosphateand a torch to kill it.

8. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
    Your second photo has me leaning to a member of the ash family or possibly Boxelder.

If you look at the bud scars, where the compound leaves start on the branch, they are opposite of each other. There are only a few trees that show this characteristic. They are Maple, Ash, Dogwood & Buckeye. Dogwood & most Maples do not have compound leaves and the compound leaf of the Buckeye radiate from one common point.

The bud scars can also help you narrow down the tree specie based on their shape and positon.

Another good website for tree id is http://www.forestryimages.org

Let us know what you find.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I noticed that you were touching the plant. From my great experience with poison plants(I have spent over 123 years in the hospital) That is the extremly rare and deadly Pecker drop plant. Its effects will occur about 1 year after first contact with it, and I think you know what the results will be.:crazy: :crazy: :cry::0a35::0a4:

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    whew, guess its a good thing it wasnt me holding the foilage in the pic. ya didnt think the ol bayoubear would have french tip fingernails would ya???
    Mrs. bear doesnt think the effects of the dreaded pecker drop plant will be much of an issue to her. LOL

ive sent the pix off to a botanist for further ID. will post results here if yall dont figure it out first.
    thanks
    chad