Planning yet another trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jconna, Jan 5, 2010.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    This will be my third trip down and we're trying to make this at least a once a year tradition. Can't say we've gotten into alot of fish yet but always have a good time and that's what matters most. We've were down in Feb of this last year and were pretty much completely skunked even with a guide. Year before it was March and had better luck but the extra warmth in April would be nice if the fishing will still be productive? I recall they go into spawn not long after but cant find a specific post to confirm that. Is it worth my giving April a shot or would you suggest I stick with March? I know it's only a few weeks but a few weeks means an awful lot if they go into spawn.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    April 1-10 is excellent. Catfish are on a tear. Ocean Spawning Stripers to 40 pounds are snapping . Two types of Shad from saltwater are in the river spawning. I feel the first 10 days of April is as good as it gets. Bring heavy tackle for the cats and light stuff for the shad. They call shad poor mans tarpon as they jump like crazy. Shad , Stripers, and trophy cats all at the same time. PM me before you come and I'll be happy to point you in the right direccion. I assume you are bringing your own boat.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Excellent....Thanks! Yes, going to have our own boat and would certainly appreciate the (in the right direction offer) Heaven knows we could use it...LOL We were actually looking at either the weekend of the 10th or the 17th and I'm assuming they would both be alright....However....I will try and get lined up for the 10th if possible based on your info. Not always easy with my uncle's schedule but will do my best. We've gotten the boat much better organized and set up over the last two years and have accumulated pretty much all the correct gear. Only thing I can think of needed yet for this trip is more floats for my Gill Net. Ordered a 50' last year but didn't realize how many floats I would need untiil I saw the correct setup our guide used. Mine would have been completely useless so he luckily hooked us up with enough for the next two days.

4. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    The Feeding fenzy and spawning activity of all the Spring Spawning fish is all tied to water temperature. Once the water gets much above 65 for a few days in a row,,the fish (shad and Stripers) spawn out and leave for the ocean. The cats start spawning at 70 degrees or so. Last year I left them biting like crazy after fishing about 30 days without missing a day. I left on the 15th of April to go to South America. I came back May 1 and went straight to the river. Set the net and not a Hickory Shad to be found, plenty of Gizzard Shad. I fished the next two days without a single bite from a big fish. Stripers Gone! Big Blues spawning!!!!. Did catch a plenty of dink cats though. Beg, plead, bribe, or lie,,whatever it takes to get your uncle to aim for the 10th.:Happy:

5. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    LOL.....I'll start with the truth and go from there. Thanks again for the input. We'll be there by the weekend of the 10th even if I have to fall back to the late March timeframe to make his schedule work. Tight lines and good luck to you through these winter months. Jeff

6. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Late March rocks. I caught my first Hickory Shad in the river last two years on March 15. The Bluecats were on them like frogs on a junebug.