Planning Trip To Lake Moultrie the 22nd / 23rd ???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by krowbar, Feb 17, 2008.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Planning a fishing trip to Moultrie this Friday the 22nd or this Sat the 23rd. Depends on the weather. Planning on doing some drifting as usual. I have heard of fish moving into the shallows this time of year so I might try anchoring out in the shallows. Anybody got any suggestions on what areas to try? Or how deep to fish this time of the year? Or what hours might be the best? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, the water temps and weather have a lot to do with where the fish will be, of course, and both of them can bounce around a lot this time of the year. We caught a 35# Blue in 12' of water yesterday, and a 6# in 38', so I don't know what it will be like come the weekend. :confused2: There were lots of fish in deeper water, but I just couldn't make them bite. We didn't start fishing until about noon, and never did get on the fish very well. Talked with Roundhill as I was heading home, and I think they had caught at least 7 fish; don't know exactly where he fished, or how deep though.
    If the sun shines for a couple of days, that's all it takes sometimes to move the fish shallow. Hope someone will jump in with the magic answer....Good luck.:big_smile:

3. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how does the river look at Jamestown? Been thinking of coming down but I haven't talked to anyone who's put in there lately....

thanks..
    Ron

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The Santee at Jamestown is close to normal levels right now; low, but navigable, due to a small flow that is released daily from Wilson's. Haven't had a chance to fish there in quite a while, but noticed plenty of boats in the river yesterday, as I crossed over. :big_smile:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Krowbar I will be back down there Wed and I hope to have a good report. Last Thusday I was marking lots of fish in the deeper wated but the fish that seemed to be feeding were in the 15-20ft range and all the ones I caught were small. Maybe this rain will muddy up the water some.

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well it looks like rain Friday and Saturday. If its not to bad i might still go. I'll let everyone know if I do or not. Let us know how you do James. Good Luck.

7. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    The fish we caught last weekend in deep water were caught real early. Probably between 0600 and 0800. They just quit after that.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I can vouch for that, Mark. I didn't get there on Saturday until around 11:00; had trouble catching bait, found plenty of fish, just couldn't get a bite from them. Ended up with grandson Tyler catching one 6# and one 35#, Blues. Used cut fresh shad and herring. Fished from 10-50+ feet deep. :sad2:

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I got there before daylight thinking that it would be no trouble to get bait at the dam. When we finally got on them we had all we needed in two throws.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    How will this rain coming affect the fish? Calling for a good bit of rain Friday and Saturday. 1.5"-2". Was going to go on Saturday but I might try it Sunday now. Not sure. What do you guys think?

11. Cat Master 1

Cat Master 1 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Have you try fishing with those big saltwater heron that you can buy up at the santee general store.We did real good on those last year about this time of year.Nobody was really catching alot.And we caught a boat load in two days.I WAS HONESTY TIRED OF CATCHING FISH. Next time you at Hill"s look for a group of people in a photo of a lot of fish in march and that my party.But only four of us caught those fish.The rest was just there catching up on old time"s.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, the rain itself may not make a lot of difference, especially in the lower lake, but the front associated with it will likely stall the bite for a couple of days after it passes through, at least in my experience. If I had a choice I would fish ahead of the system; sometimes they will really turn on just before the front gets here, if you can handle the windy conditions.

13. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, I didn't get to go to the lake this weekend because of the weather. That really sucks. I'm going to shoot for next weekend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for all the posts.