Planning to go to Lake Marion 4/4-6

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bearfrog1, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Hello my new found friends!
    I am planning to go to Lake Marion next weekend. Anyone wanna join me? Wind pending I'll be fishing the windy side, hopefully out of Taw Caw landing if the wind is from S or SW.
    My friends just got back from this past weekend. They were catching them on the south side near the brick yard in 4-6 feet on cut shad. One of them caught a 23lb flathead and several nice blues. I am completely shocked that a flathead of that size would come from cut bait. You guys ever hear this? All my flats including my PB was always live crappie brim or perch, never cut bait?!?!?
    Anyways, I'm bringing my 25ft pontoon and if anyone wants to come, they are more than welcome to join me.
    Let me know via email, bearfrog1@yahoo.com or this message service here.
    I'll be trying to leave next Thursday night, get a room fish Friday + Saturday return home Sunday.
    Let me know,
    Jonathan Pace

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have caught flatheads before on cutbait especially in the spring. Although when I fish for flatheads I always use live. Anyway, sounds like a great offer there on the trip for someone that lives a bit closer than I do! Good luck in the shallow waters!

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I've caught a few flatheads over 40 pounds on a piece of cutbait smaller than my thumb. But I have spent a good many hours soaking cut bait.......enough that I have also caught a 2 pound bream,water snake and a bullfrog (yes a bullfrog, and I'll swear to it). That said, if I "wanted" to catch flatheads I would always fish with live bait, or at the very least fresh whole dead bait.

4. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Water snake and bullfrog...lol The whole lake would know if I caught a snake.
    BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG (the sound of a .357 exploding out of my gun aimed in the general direction of that snake)
    Thanks for the replies.
    Jonathan

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck on your trip

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Bearfrog1. Good luck at Santee and let us know how you do.

7. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Well frog riverratsc and I caught one on cut herring couple of weeks ago that weighed 37.4lbs. Hope you have a good weekend there let us know what happens.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    caught two blues one 21, the other 26 in a cove last week with cut herring while on spring break. i couldnt fish the open water like we wanted to because of all the wind.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck Johnathan I have some company from out of town fishing with me but I will be down there probably above I95 fishing. Good luck and all of my BIG flatheads from the lake have been caugt o cut bait. My PB a 60.2lb flathead was caught on cut white perch.

10. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Good luck on your trip and I'll be a couple of days behind you. My biggest flattie of 58 lbs came on cut bait the size of your thumb.